kimball

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Besides, Utah Stars? ABA fetishization is annoying.

Yeah, I get that. But, I think with the connection and success the team had in the ABA the name works. We’ve seen the WNBA and G-League use it, plus Stars is only used in one of the four major leagues. Plus, it’s better than most Utah specific names out there ... Pioneers, Saints, Etc.

But, like I said, it’s a moot point. They had a chance in 1979, but decided to not change the nickname.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 4/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, SFGiants58 said:

New Orleans Jazz sounds awful, due to the syllable dissonance. Two words (one syllable and three syllables) paired with a one-syllable name just doesn’t sound right. Pelicans and Hornets are better.

Besides, Utah Stars? ABA fetishization is annoying.

Tell that to the San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Denver Nuggets and the Nets.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

On 4/24/2019 at 9:49 AM, Ark said:

New Orleans Jazz doesn't sound nearly as good.

New Orleans Jazz sounds awful, due to the syllable dissonance.

What the hell is going on here? The phrase "New Orleans jazz" existed before the team used it for its name. In respect, it is similar to other already-existing phrases which got adopted as team names, such as "St. Louis blues", "Texas Rangers", "Baltimore oriole", "Colorado Rockies", and "Florida panther".

Two words (one syllable and three syllables) paired with a one-syllable name just doesn’t sound right.

And what's all this about? First of all, "New Orleans" consists of words of one syllable plus two syllables (no matter whether you say the second word as "OR-linz" or as "or-LEANZ").

But, more importantly, a multi-syllabic locality name can do just fine with a one-syllable nickname.  We see it all the time: Minnesota Twins, Philadelphia Stars, Indianapolis Colts, San Antonio Spurs, San Francisco Seals, Los Angeles Rams, Sacramento Kings, etc. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Nothing is broken about the brand except for their efforts to use every color of the rainbow in one year.

At this point I almost wish they'd lean into wearing every color. Since ditching the original NOLA color scheme, we've experimented with just about every color in our uniforms. At this point why not have separate purple, yellow, powder blue, green, black, turquoise, orange and navy uniforms. No identity should be our identity. Go Jazz. 

2 hours ago, mgfoxx said:

At this point I almost wish they'd lean into wearing every color. Since ditching the original NOLA color scheme, we've experimented with just about every color in our uniforms. At this point why not have separate purple, yellow, powder blue, green, black, turquoise, orange and navy uniforms. No identity should be our identity. Go Jazz. 

That would be the biggest mess in the history of sports, that’s the worst option

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

4 hours ago, mgfoxx said:

spacer.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

"New Orleans Jazz" was a good name.

If the Jazz aren't gonna use the 1996-2004 color palette, my favorite, then they should build around a dark purple or indigo (around Hex #180A26 if you're scoring at home) and own that color. Maybe use lime green or sea foam green as the updated green instead of that drab forest green, who can say?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

If the Jazz aren't gonna use the 1996-2004 color palette, my favorite, then they should build around a dark purple or indigo (around Hex #180A26 if you're scoring at home) and own that color. Maybe use lime green or sea foam green as the updated green instead of that drab forest green, who can say?

That sounds really good, I’d be on board with that. If the Jazz were never to use dark purple, I’ve always thought the Raptors would look great in it. In my head, it’d look excellent with red (so long as black was eliminated out of the color scheme entirely). 

I’m trying to think of other teams that have used a darkish purple and I’m only coming up with the Mighty Ducks (eggplant). There’s gotta be others, right? 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That sounds really good, I’d be on board with that. If the Jazz were never to use dark purple, I’ve always thought the Raptors would look great in it. In my head, it’d look excellent with red (so long as black was eliminated out of the color scheme entirely). 

I’m trying to think of other teams that have used a darkish purple and I’m only coming up with the Mighty Ducks (eggplant). There’s gotta be others, right? 

Rockies

On 4/23/2019 at 8:47 AM, DustDevil61 said:

Agreed. I’d love to see the Utah Jazz City Edition jerseys find a place in the team’s permanent rotation. Maybe replace the gold in all logos to have that red/orange/yellow gradient?

Since we're still talking about the Utah Jazz, here's a little tooting of my horn...here's what I was thinking for sneaking the gradient pattern into the main logo (with a more kelly-ish green):

IDCK5Nd.png

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

"New Orleans Jazz" was a good name.

The 90s jazz color scheme is really not that good though, bronze, purple, sky blue, black, the gradient, the mountain jerseys, all of it is so 90s and so bad imo. They really need to keep what they have going going because it’s really nice. The forest green, navy, and yellow is great for a team in Salt Lake and their latest update under adidas was fantastic

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

6 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

Since we're still talking about the Utah Jazz, here's a little tooting of my horn...here's what I was thinking for sneaking the gradient pattern into the main logo (with a more kelly-ish green):

IDCK5Nd.png

Sorry, but that looks terrible IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I think I kinda dig it! Let's cross my idea with your idea:

ArnSSRe.png

They have their own color, the Utah gradient gives them something local instead of a straight-up New Orleans export, and it's just enough detail to keep a 1970s logo from being too simplistic today.

Yeah, I started thinking about how you'd flip colors around on dark uniforms and so forth and it does start to unravel past one standalone logo.

25 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, I started thinking about how you'd flip colors around on dark uniforms and so forth and it does start to unravel past one standalone logo.

Would you use a white backing on all applications or spread parts of the gradient across the wordmark on purple backgrounds?

I like faded-y dark purple, light blue, and copper. It simplifies the '90s color scheme and allows it to work with the "classic" wordmark. Think this colorway:

76v7Q9P.png

Archived