kimball

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, projectjohn said:

Probably an unpopular opinion: Seeing Drake in the old school Raptors jersey compared to the current set was a stark reminder for me of how much better the older one is (IMO), even in the purple incarnation.

920x920.jpg

That was definitely a welcome sight. I could do without the black back of that jersey, but all in all, I’d still take that set over the current, or at least I’d take most of the pieces of it. Even the sans-purple successors were much better than the currents in my mind. If they really wanted to distance themselves from purple, then they already had landed on the right set with superior features over the currents (better wordmarks/numbers, uniforms, even the foot logo was better) and I don’t think the rebrand was ever necessary in my opinion. They should’ve just flipped the chevrons to point north, maybe gotten rid of the butt stripe, and called it a day.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The Raptors current identity has grown on me. The claw-ball is a solid logo without looking too ridiculously 90's, plus the uniform template is pretty tame. The font is still boring though, and the numbers are worse (they're like the numbers on a damn speed limit sign).

I think they could've stuck with purple, but it really needed to be toned down in brightness. Both the purple and red were so bright, they were always competing for attention. I can see why they got rid of it, but really? Red and black? Add another color in there or something...

In my opinion, an iteration like this would've been amazing. It felt like a missed opportunity not tapping back into the purple during the 2015 rebrand. I always loved the way that the bright 90's color pallet popped off each other. spacer.png

Here's my unpopular opinion: I like Toronto's current set better than anything previous, and I don't think they've ever had a "great" purple uniform. Their originals are (dated) classics, but I like them for what they were and should be used consistently as throwbacks. The purple with black backs were awful.

Even though red/black/white is way overplayed in the NBA (and the NHL), the Raps have made it work. I especially like their red "North" unis, and I think they could drop black and make red/white really work (with minimal gray to avoid being the Rockets).

That being said, it could be interesting to see a bit of purple added back into the current set as a accent color. For example, I think adding a purple stripe to the collar and arm hole striping on the black set (i.e. red, silver, purple, then black) would look pretty nifty.  

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

13 hours ago, mgfoxx said:

In my opinion, an iteration like this would've been amazing. It felt like a missed opportunity not tapping back into the purple during the 2015 rebrand. I always loved the way that the bright 90's color pallet popped off each other. spacer.png

Since I realistically can't see them moving away from red/black/silver due to the recent team success, I'm hoping one of these years we get a purple set as the "City" or "Earned" jersey. 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Raptors building off their "North" jerseys. I think that template looks great, they should replace the wordmark with "Toronto"/"Raptors". We could keep the red beauts, and add in a white one with red chevrons, and then a purple Statement jersey with red and white chevrons. (Multiple chevrons of different colors, not one that's both, that would look pretty bad.) They can keep the black for the City jerseys, maybe keep those the Drake ones, but I think fully utilizing the great idea they have with their current City/Earned jerseys would be missing out.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Raptors building off their "North" jerseys. I think that template looks great, they should replace the wordmark with "Toronto"/"Raptors". We could keep the red beauts, and add in a white one with red chevrons, and then a purple Statement jersey with red and white chevrons. (Multiple chevrons of different colors, not one that's both, that would look pretty bad.) They can keep the black for the City jerseys, maybe keep those the Drake ones, but I think fully utilizing the great idea they have with their current City/Earned jerseys would be missing out.

The North jerseys might be some of the worst in the league, the giant chevron is ugly and it looks dumb. The gold is unnecessary as well. And so is the north. The raptors should honestly stick with the red and white primaries and the normal black alt. They want a classy look, don’t make dumb alts

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 minute ago, BellaSpurs said:

The North jerseys might be some of the worst in the league, the giant chevron is ugly and it looks dumb. The gold is unnecessary as well. And so is the north. The raptors should honestly stick with the red and white primaries and the normal black alt. They want a classy look, don’t make dumb alts

I think the black/gold is awful, but I don't mind the red one. The chevron is something the Raps could really own, and is certainly more identifiable than "generic red/black/white". Obviously, going back to purple is better, but I think this would be a start.

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I think the black/gold is awful, but I don't mind the red one. The chevron is something the Raps could really own, and is certainly more identifiable than "generic red/black/white". Obviously, going back to purple is better, but I think this would be a start.

Where their chevrons are now are fine, maybe adding some on the shorts but otherwise it’s much better than one giant one. 

Btw the rockets also have something that’s like chevrons, and they really have aged poorly. I like their alts much better.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

If they can strike a good balance between black, red, and gold, I think it could work well. The key is finding that right balance though, and I think that practice jersey gets it pretty close. I liked how the Ottawa Senators balanced it in the 90’s-early 00’s; though gold was only on the logos in the set I’m thinking of, it looked great and quite complimentary in terms of quantity with the black, red, and white as it was. Maybe translate that kind of a balance to a basketball set and you’ve got it, plus there’s things you can do with that kind of color heirarchy to differentiate it from the Heat if that’s a potential problem.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 5/14/2019 at 7:16 PM, WSU151 said:

Still don’t like the pins. 

Slightly better than last year. And perhaps the Mavericks aren't changing anything?

Today, June 5, The Athletic's Tim Cato has a story about the evolution of the current Mavericks logo.

At the bottom of the story, there is a teaser for Part Two, which will be posted Thursday, with the note: "On Thursday, we will look into the Mavericks’ current jerseys and the potential that they could rebrand in the coming years."

On 6/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, Shadojoker said:

D8EnJeXXoAEa7LM?format=jpg&name=large

Been seeing these practice jerseys a lot during press conferences and practice interviews. The red, black and gold looks REALLY NICE. All they need is gold or white chevron on the sides and you got another alternate uni.

I prefer the Raptors in Purple/Red/Black, but Red/Black/Gold would be a good consolation prize.

I like the idea of adding gold to purple, red, and black, but would all 4 colors clutter one another?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived