kimball

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/8/2018 at 11:45 PM, Ark said:

That USA Olympics number font looks exactly like the Magic number font, although no Magic player wore a 9 or a 6 before Summer 1996. It makes me wonder what the Magic 9 and 6 actually looked like in the 90s.

Tim Kempton, where are you? We need to see your Magic jerseys. 

Wow - really?  How is that even possible?  I know that numbers >5 aren't as common as 1-5, but 9 is a relatively common number, as are 6 and 16.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wow - really?  How is that even possible?  I know that numbers >5 aren't as common as 1-5, but 9 is a relatively common number, as are 6 and 16.

I guess that one number looked so bad that it was never used until they got new uniforms.

bSLCtu2.png

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd have to research this some for hard data (something I just don't want to do right now), but you really didn't see many players wear numbers 6-9, 16-19, 26-29, 36-39, 46-49, 56-99 in the late 70s to mid-90s it seems. Sure there are examples of players wearing numbers in that range during that time period, but it seemed that players wore the numbers the NCAA allowed 1-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55. It really wasn't until Shawn Bradley (#76) and Gheorge Muresan (#77) came into the NBA that players started going with those numbers. 

So there's your useless history lesson of the day.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I'd have to research this some for hard data (something I just don't want to do right now), but you really didn't see many players wear numbers 6-9, 16-19, 26-29, 36-39, 46-49, 56-99 in the late 70s to mid-90s it seems. Sure there are examples of players wearing numbers in that range during that time period, but it seemed that players wore the numbers the NCAA allowed 1-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55. It really wasn't until Shawn Bradley (#76) and Gheorge Muresan (#77) came into the NBA that players started going with those numbers. 

To expand on this with some examples, last season 15 players wore #6 and 22 players wore #9. In 1997-98 (20 years ago), only 8 players wore #6 and 16 players wore #9. And in 1992-93 (25 years ago), only 6 players wore #6 and 3 players wore #9.

In addition to Bradley and Muresan, I think the wider use of non-traditional numbers was due to the influx of international players (and the use of NBA players in international competitions). Amateur basketball in the U.S. only allowed the use of digits 0-5, so most American players would start their careers with those numbers, and mostly keep them when they reached the NBA. But until 2014, FIBA required players to use numbers from 4 to 15 for international competitions, and national leagues could allow any 1- or 2- digit number. So NBA players had to use non-traditional numbers for the Olympics (which is why Jordan wore #9) and a lot of international players came in wearing different numbers (e.g., Toni Kukoc wearing #7).

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

To expand on this with some examples, last season 15 players wore #6 and 22 players wore #9. In 1997-98 (20 years ago), only 8 players wore #6 and 16 players wore #9. And in 1992-93 (25 years ago), only 6 players wore #6 and 3 players wore #9.

In addition to Bradley and Muresan, I think the wider use of non-traditional numbers was due to the influx of international players (and the use of NBA players in international competitions). Amateur basketball in the U.S. only allowed the use of digits 0-5, so most American players would start their careers with those numbers, and mostly keep them when they reached the NBA. But until 2014, FIBA required players to use numbers from 4 to 15 for international competitions, and national leagues could allow any 1- or 2- digit number. So NBA players had to use non-traditional numbers for the Olympics (which is why Jordan wore #9) and a lot of international players came in wearing different numbers (e.g., Toni Kukoc wearing #7).

Thanks for the research I didn't want to do. ?

That really illustrates my point well and I agree with your point on the influx of international players.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 hours ago, kimball said:

This is due to how refs communicate the fouls to the scorekeepers, correct? it's a lot easier to illustrate numbers <6 with your hands, especially double-digit numbers.

2 hours ago, Gobbi said:

This is due to how refs communicate the fouls to the scorekeepers, correct? it's a lot easier to illustrate numbers <6 with your hands, especially double-digit numbers.

How did they illustrate Bill Russell back then, since he was 6? 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BShaw20 said:

How did they illustrate Bill Russell back then, since he was 6? 

Like this:

hands-show-number-six-isolated-white-bac

But for double-digit numbers the ref would use one hand. For example, if the player is number 23, they will call the foul, then hold up two fingers, then with the same hand hold up three fingers.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:53 AM, Conrad. said:

^ especially when you see it in the context of the rest of the league. so small!

That's kind of funny, because one of the few things Nike got right last season was increasing the size of the Pelicans wordmark on their jerseys.

The other thing they got right was the Magic's City jersey. And I think that's about it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

That's kind of funny, because one of the few things Nike got right last season was increasing the size of the Pelicans wordmark on their jerseys.

The other thing they got right was the Magic's City jersey. And I think that's about it.

I think their wordmark is even smaller than NOB in the adidas era... Increasing the size made the jerseys waaaaay better IMO.

43 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Atlanta Hawks dropped some 50 Years stuff today.

First the Throwback:

DkrQRarUUAAqhE9.jpg

and second an Alternate Court for what I assume is the City uniform:

DkrQbnOU4AAX9L1.jpg

Oh goody... More black

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Powder blue and vivid red is one of the most underused color schemes. That's a great look and honestly I think I personally didn't even know it ever existed in the parade of Hawks uniforms over the years. 

Glad the alien-language-typography City jersey will be gone, but an entire jersey dedicated to celebrating an anniversary is a little corny to me. Feels like a real Nascar move. A patch and a throwback or two should get the point across.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived