kimball

Is it good protocol to recolor a flag to your liking? The Blue Lives Matter flag makes me feel uneasy and while the purple and orange Suns flag doesn't have the same authoritarian imagery behind it, it still doesn't feel like the right move.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, EvilChameleon said:

So when are we expecting the "earned" jerseys to start being unveiled?

Christmas-ish?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I was looking at the LockerVision site and I noticed the Celtics earned uniform looks like it's only going to be worn on Christmas and the day after St. Patrick's Day. This means that the rumors of a color swap with the City uniform is true. The Celtics are basically getting a St. Patrick's Day jersey here so I'm wondering if the Earned set could evolve over time to mean something else other than just a color swap.

Also when the Nuggets wear their City uniform, they will use the new skyline logo at center court. You'd think they would use what's on the actual jersey or something but whatever.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The script is also pretty different.  

Gotta say, I like the gray uniforms.  They could certainly be better, but I like how the look on the court.  I don't like that the Hornets are in teal and not a darker color, but the Sixers look fine.

I was really impressed with how the grays looked on court. A Top-5 City jersey. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I was really impressed with how the grays looked on court. A Top-5 City jersey. 

Yep, they looked really sharp in action, especially with the contrasting blue accessories. As far as grey alternate uniforms go, this is about as good as it gets:

Drm_4D0XQAUetcw?format=jpg

DrmtBI4WsAEl8t2?format=jpg

Now I still think these are a downgrade from last season’s ‘Phila’ script set, but they’re still really solid and not that far off from those.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 11/8/2018 at 3:34 PM, EvilChameleon said:

It's just a shame that "wine and gold" these days is piss and burgundy.

Well, the color burgundy was named for the eponymous style of wine from the Burgundy region of France.

And gold is gold, whether it’s the bright, athletic shade or the more muted, contemporary version. The early duds alternated between the two, but the originals, as well as the (in my opinion) best ones, featured the athletic gold similar to what’s used today:

uniform_22_130815_0.jpg?itok=RjUEvxUq

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't see how that's neat.  You don't see it unless you're actually on the court - and even then you'd have to squint.  Every single last aspect of this seems forced, and I don't see how as a whole, it honors Magic.  Maybe if it had his image in a sweatback design, or something depicting how he rips off low-income people in his community, 

Does adding "Los Angeles" to it have anything to do with Magic Johnson?

Maybe replacing that with "Magic", so it read "Magic Lakers" would be better, except it still sucks, and would be protested by Orlando.

Everything in a design doesnt need to jump out at you from a mile away or within the first few seconds. Having new things to discover as you get closer or as you explore the design in your hand add depth and interest. It can certainly make the design more engaging if it’s done well.

I don’t think the idea of turning the pinstripes into words is what makes this Lakers uniform off-the-mark; it’s everything that came before.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Is it good protocol to recolor a flag to your liking? The Blue Lives Matter flag makes me feel uneasy and while the purple and orange Suns flag doesn't have the same authoritarian imagery behind it, it still doesn't feel like the right move.

I think it’s case by case. Even the military uses non-standard colors of the flag on some uniforms and vehicles.

I do agree, though, that the color shift is more palatable when the design of the flag is adapted into a something new, like a different shape, a pattern, a creative take on one of the elements within the flag, etc.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Saw the Hawks city uniforms in person tonight, along with the court that goes with it. Pretty good look, but the colors seem kind of drab for the Hawks. I do, however, love the design on the sides. They should really consider using this as a base for a new uniform set with red, yellow, and black, 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Miami's looked great, but of course fans are starting to say they're cursed.  ?

Good. The Vice-style look is fantastic, but it shouldn’t eclipse the uniforms/identity associated with the team’s three championships (itself a modernization of a pretty good look). I would never want the team to make the Vice style their primary look.

13 hours ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but it seems like teams might just wear their City uniforms on Christmas.

Drlo_OMUcAYmY3S.jpg

Kind of strange that Nike would add superfluous sets like the "Earned" uniforms but then get rid of the Christmas jerseys. I guess they're trying to force new corporate traditions while eschewing cultural ones?

The Christmas jerseys started with Adidas, so maybe that had something to do with it.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Good. The Vice-style look is fantastic, but it shouldn’t eclipse the uniforms/identity associated with the team’s three championships (itself a modernization of a pretty good look). I would never want the team to make the Vice style their primary look.

I 90% agree. The crimson/yellow/black (or slight variation thereof as we've seen since '88) is great...BUT if they were to make a big full-time change...Vice is the way to go. ?

getty-images-1059711944.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Reminder that Lakers aren't getting an Earned jersey

I’m actually surprised Nike/NBA didn’t come up with an excuse to give the Lakers an Earned jersey. 

“Well, uh, LeBron deserves an Earned jersey since he made the NBA Finals. And the Lakers signed LeBron, so, ahem, we’ll give them an Earned set too.”

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I’m actually surprised Nike/NBA didn’t come up with an excuse to give the Lakers an Earned jersey. 

“Well, uh, LeBron deserves an Earned jersey since he made the NBA Finals. And the Lakers signed LeBron, so, ahem, we’ll give them an Earned set too.”

Just realized Cleveland will get an earned jersey. 

1. What will that mess look like

2. It’s pretty much a waste of money for Nike, no one is looking for a weird Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, or that rookie guy jersey

Excellent!

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

The Lakers earn the NBA a fat stack of cash. Good enough for me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived