Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

sportsherald

I was just looking at the updated logo for the AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, and was disappointed to see that the Golden Triangle (symbolic of Pittsburgh) had been added to the existing, different penguin used by WB/S.  That got me thinking about a more appropriate background, and after learning that Scranton is the Electric City and Wilkes-Barre the Diamond City, I came up with this rough concept.  I don't plan to do anything more with this, but I wanted to share the idea.

64f70b47deb18a8585bef21452dc4123cd403c77

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Try a gem shape rather than a geometric diamond and just stick one lightning bolt somewhere in the available space.

Not a bad thought.  I won't go further than these quick mock-ups unless W-B/S actually wants one. 00858d52499d55eedc1ff429a934d68686115343

I also caught a gap in the earlier design, by the mouth.

5e34427c532188b2dbf82032985520206860ad6b

While a diamond made of bolts is an interesting idea, I don't think I could pull that off recognisably.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived