College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Minnesota's mostly bad.  The basic road look (white jersey/maroon pants) looks pretty solid from the neck down.  The side view of the maroon helmet looks nice, but then the helmet stripe is a freakin' oar?  They've gone too "all in" on the "row the boat" stuff.  

The chrome helmet is grotesque.  The gray jersey is worse.  

The maroon jersey could be OK, but it needs to not have that white collar sticking out like a sore thumb.  And it should be paired with the yellow pants.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Geez. Those are gross. I guess I can deal with the stupid paddle and row the boat schtick because that's his thing so whatever. Chrome helmet, yeah whatever. It's stupid but everyone has one so what the hell. The worst part is  all of the white trim and numbers that should be freaking GOLD as in Golden Gophers, not to mention the disgusting gray crap.

Wow- PJ Fleck wasn’t lying. I do hate these. Unfortunately for him, acknowledging that something is going to be hated doesn’t make the hate any less valid.

I will admit that the basic road look with maroon helmets is not bad at all. But the maroon jerseys have way too much white. And Gold/Gray/Yellow is potentially the WOAT.

I absolutely can’t stand these. Minnesota had a very good modern set that was nicely restrained. These new ones combine all the worst trends into one set.

Minnesota definitely does not need to incorporate that much white on non-white jerseys (they obviously need an away set). The white collars are egregious and stick out like a sore thumb. The change to white numbers seems totally out of character for the school- I honestly can’t recall any set of theirs not using gold numbers...can you guys?

The mix of chrome gold and yellow gold is really ugly. The number pattern is fairly harmless and won’t be seen from more than a couple feet away. The helmet stripe is stupid. This coach actually believes he needs to dress his team in his slogans and oar graphics after doing the same thing at the previous school?

What I absolutely despise are the terrible logo inconsistencies. Look at the white set, for example. This is the most egregious. On the helmet, you’ve got a maroon and white logo. On the jersey collar, it’s a maroon and yellow logo. The pants logo is yellow and white. I can appreciate logos which can be color swapped because they are simple, but if you’re going to deviate from your standard logo coloring, then the entire uniform needs to be consistent (especially when the logos are literally on the same color background), or else you end up with the garbage seen here.

The logo inconsistencies are similar to Louisville, who also drives me crazy for the same reasons. Red background on the helmet and pants, and yet they end up with two versions of the logo. Boggles the mind. Of course, this could be easily solved by using their main logo with the red, black, white, and yellow beak, etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don’t follow enough college ball to know a whole lot about this Fleck guy, but, man, he seems like a real douche to force his crummy, bland catchphrase so heavily into every team that he’s on’s uniforms, which are the ultimate icons of a team/school’s identity. I don’t think I’ve seen another coach act so self-obsessed.

1 hour ago, henburg said:

Oh my god, I never thought that I would see both metallic and regular gold on the same uniform. I hate everything about it. The grey set may actually be the worst football uniform I've ever seen. 

Agreed. If this were with an all white uniform it could possibly work. That light grey looks even worse than anthracite. The collars should have matched the jerseys or been gold. The white stands out because it's not on the pants.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The most ridiculous part of this reveal (and there is a lot of ridiculousness) is that of all the uniform combos shown, the only time we see the gold pants is with the gray jersey and chrome helmet. It's like they were an afterthought thrown in after someone reminded them that they were the Golden Gophers.

spacer.png

Since when has Minnesota become anthracite?

they had a cool brand with the maroon and “gold” cuz Arizona state ruined their chance with those colors. 

And if anyone on this forum knows anything about me, I hate chrome helmets. And this kills me. 

To be honest I actually liked their old stuff with a few minor tweaks but this just sucks.

why can’t “row the boat” be simply an inside the collar thing like lots of teams do

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

So far the new looks of the upcoming 2018 season.

Virginia:  Gets an A in my books, they did nothing to go over the top.  Just your basic color uniforms (navy, white, and orange alternate) and they look sharp.  UVa could use a navy helmet, but I am not going to lose sleep if they decide to maintain their white helmets.  Still a vast improvement of what they had in the past.

Minnesota on the other hand gets a D.  Yes they would have gotten an F if I wanted to.  But at least they are trying to keep the school colors even if it is mismatched.  The gray alternates are awful and just not even relate to their school colors, which doesn't make sense.  And the helmet with the "row your boat" slogan is practically weak IMO.  Wish they would be smart and go to a classic design, but with coach Fleck calling the shots, that will not happen anytime soon.

Can't wait to see what Arizona and Iowa State has in store coming up.  I would like to see the Iowa Hawkeyes also tweak their look, perhaps putting the numeric fonts they wore as an alternate against Ohio State as their regular home and away jerseys as well as changing their template to Vapor (the flywire needs to go its outdated). but keep the Steeler-like look.

Floyd of Rosedale is gonna look like a Hawkeye scrimmage this year.

In other news, Nebraska and Wisconsin will play Iowa twice. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived