College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Minnesota looks good to me! I question the grey jersey, but the helmet and home jersey are just fine! I don't see what the big complaint is. Sure it's a simple look, but it's much better than  most of the over designed crap Nike usually gives us.

Part of it is context. Minnesota men's hockey wore the below away jerseys from 1999-2005, winning back-to-back NCAA national championships during that period. But because Minnesota's maroon hockey jerseys traditionally have a gold "M," Gopher fans hated these jerseys. All subsequent maroon jerseys have gone back to using a gold "M."

VMH_GopherJerseys_59.jpg

VMH_GopherJerseys_62.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

41 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

If Minnesota had a traditional set and wanted to go crazy-modern like Army and Navy do for one game, then we probably wouldn't have a problem with it. But that's not what Minnesota is doing. 

"Worshipping the ground he walks on" is incredibly hyperbolic for PJ Fleck.

Only the grey one is over the top. Only the oar is a bit much on the mains. I like it that he has a signature. You also still have your M. The problem with the uniforms is they are ugly. I don't see why Minnesota claims to have tradition that withstands the test of time. They don't. 

Nike always takes so much heat for uniform designs. This is an example of where the client has a clear influence over the design and it’s for the worst. They’ve made things different for the sake of it while adding in every damn thing they could think of. And this Post-Combat design isn’t even cool anymore, I mean the patterns in the numbers and general “extreme” design was being faded out at the CFB level in 2015, at least for primary uniforms. Not only does this entire set look overdone and unappealing, its already old. And comparing to that gorgeous, timeless uniform they had, this thing feels like a complete failure. I always look for something that can be saved and built upon but it’s not here; this is an absolute F for me

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The one thing that is stomachable about the uni set is the oar on the maroon helmet.  The wood grain looks decent, but then they make the oar solid on the white helmet for seemingly no reason.

All the white in place of athletic gold is awful.  The chrome gold facemask is brutal and the chrome gold helmet is complete trash.  Fleck really prioritized himself over the university and it's a damn shame.

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Nike always takes so much heat for uniform designs. This is an example of where the client has a clear influence over the design and it’s for the worst. They’ve made things different for the sake of it while adding in every damn thing they could think of. 

This reminds me of the time I went to the tire shop with my uncle. He was getting new tires for his Mustang and this wannabe kid comes in and gets giant wheels with thin tires installed on his mid-90s Monte Carlo. 

The tech finishes up and the kid goes, "nah dog, I wann 'em thinner. Thinner! Like bologna wrappers, yo!" 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

4 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Tradition? I don't know, Davey. There was a time, but that has passed. To anyone under 35, Minnesota is just a doormat with a cool name due to silly factor. You have to win to claim tradition. Even Army and Navy plays the modern uni game. They aren't what they use to be.

Also, if Fleck wins, you will worship the ground he walks on. Until he moves to a higher job with winning tradition.

Haha, I'm 13 and I think the uniforms look disgusting

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

41 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

This reminds me of the time I went to the tire shop with my uncle. He was getting new tires for his Mustang and this wannabe kid comes in and gets giant wheels with thin tires installed on his mid-90s Monte Carlo. 

The tech finishes up and the kid goes, "nah dog, I wann 'em thinner. Thinner! Like bologna wrappers, yo!" 

i had some “bologna skins” on my first truck, but that wasn’t on purpose. ?living dangerously 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Nike always takes so much heat for uniform designs. This is an example of where the client has a clear influence over the design and it’s for the worst. They’ve made things different for the sake of it while adding in every damn thing they could think of. And this Post-Combat design isn’t even cool anymore, I mean the patterns in the numbers and general “extreme” design was being faded out at the CFB level in 2015, at least for primary uniforms. Not only does this entire set look overdone and unappealing, its already old. And comparing to that gorgeous, timeless uniform they had, this thing feels like a complete failure. I always look for something that can be saved and built upon but it’s not here; this is an absolute F for me

I feel sorry for Nike on this one. They're clearly having to tow a line behind their (excellent) identity package from a few years back and Fleck's odd, self-aggrandizing demands. It's like dealing with an out-of-touch relative who is trying to "be cool" for his kids by copying outdated slang and playing pop music from five-ten years ago.

Nike was put in a no-win scenario, and they did what they could with this doofus' demands and the university's athletic branding standards. I expect they'll be gone once Fleck is fired.

Archived