College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

6 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

The M crossing outside the v-neck area is really bugging me.

KXBDP77.jpg

Yeah, I don’t understand what they were doing here. You can clearly see all that unused space in the little collar triangle where they could have moved the logo a bit higher and it would’ve fit nicely within the intended space.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of the oar on the helmet, I think this is a decent set. The M on the collar needs to be fixed, but otherwise the colors are used well, and the pattern inside the numbers is neat. I would like to see something on the sleeves, maybe the M logo, though.

a2BRS8U.png

This is really one of the first instancesI can think of where a uniform is simultaneously generic and completely overdesigned at the same time. I agree that with the perfect combination and removal of the Fleck BS, this could be a passable but ultimately obvious downgrade (maybe C- range). But Fleck’s entire career has been gimmicky crap and self aggrandizement, so we’re pretty much guaranteed to get that grey uniform and/or chrome helmet at least 6-10 games this year.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I hated them. But I’ll live. I need them to surprise me with another Full Banana.  And I liked the Goldy helmet. Almost everyone that’s a gopher fan did.  Too much white on the Maroon, don’t like Anthracite, and get yellow into the the white helmet.

the oars...in knew they were coming. The white helmet has the seamless number pattern with the oars and the mariner star in the oar in black...really odd choice.

but I like that it’s not as over the top as I thought.

The knee-jerk hyperbole will subside, they aren’t nearly as bad as everyone is chiming in on. As much as I love a good LAbolt pileon.

1 hour ago, tajmccall said:

I hated them. But I’ll live. I need them to surprise me with another Full Banana.  And I liked the Goldy helmet. Almost everyone that’s a gopher fan did.  Too much white on the Maroon, don’t like Anthracite, and get yellow into the the white helmet.

the oars...in knew they were coming. The white helmet has the seamless number pattern with the oars and the mariner star in the oar in black...really odd choice.

but I like that it’s not as over the top as I thought.

The knee-jerk hyperbole will subside, they aren’t nearly as bad as everyone is chiming in on. As much as I love a good LAbolt pileon.

I wouldn't call it knee-jerk. PJ Fleck's uniform touches are glaring and don't simply fade out of your cognizance as you become inundated with them.

I would call reactions to things like the Lions wordmarks in their sleeve stripes knee-jerk. That's because while they are kind of weird and could be done without, I really don't think about them when I'm watching the Lions play and can judge the uniform as a whole without paying much mind to them.

Fleck's dumb oar crap, though? I can't not see the Gophs now (or any Fleck-led team from the past) and ignore the fact that their once-decent uniforms have been degraded useless tributes to Fleck's own hubris. No other coach acts like this. He ignores common sense principles of sports branding in favor of his crummy self-promotion of his shmuck slogan and that is unacceptable. Why should anyone who is uninitiated have to look at any of these uniforms for the first time and wonder "Why do these teams that have absolutely zero nautical ties in their school's identities have oars pasted all over them?" I can't believe that these schools let him get away with this and that Nike has to bow to him like this.

It doesn't help that these uniforms and all of their combinations have turned out, against all odds, to be just as boring to look at as they are gaudy. And what's with them mixing athletic gold elements with metallic gold ones and somehow having the nerve to play it off in their press material like they are the same shade? What a farce of sports design.

8 hours ago, lbj273 said:

What's with the white bottom piece on all of the pants?  There was so much else to be upset about before I'm just noticing it now

I think that's the pants Nike uses for the knee pads for 7 v 7. Not sure why they didn't use some color that matches the pants.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Let's put it this way. 

How would you feel if Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State all had a semi truck sticker on their helmets because Urban Meyer liked to say "Keep On Truckin?" 

That's totally made up but shows the level of Fleck's disregard for his employer's brand. I guarantee if you redesigned the brand identity of each company you worked at so it met your personal mantra, you wouldn't last long. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

You could argue all of our reactions are knee-jerk.  We reacted swiftly that the Blue Jays last change was great...we still think that.  But we also reacted negatively to the Marlins last change and I think people are coming around.  Sometimes a uniform is introduced, we all decry it as among the worst uniforms ever and through time, we upgrade them to "bad" or even "meh."

So maybe we'll calm down on this.  But I don't envision that the board, overall, will ever like them.

8 hours ago, Lafarge said:

This is really one of the first instancesI can think of where a uniform is simultaneously generic and completely overdesigned at the same time. I agree that with the perfect combination and removal of the Fleck BS, this could be a passable but ultimately obvious downgrade (maybe C- range). But Fleck’s entire career has been gimmicky crap and self aggrandizement, so we’re pretty much guaranteed to get that grey uniform and/or chrome helmet at least 6-10 games this year.

Yeah.  Aside from the chrome helmet, most individual elements of the uniform are not too flashy.  But just about every detail is awful.  If I could change one it would be the white collar on the maroon jersey.  I just sticks out so badly.  But the oar, the "row" on the bumper, the mariner star, the minimal use of yellow on the maroon uniform, the swing and miss on matching the pants (i.e., the yellow pants would look nice with the maroon), the lack of maroon on the gray/yellow combo.  Aside from going all on on Fleck's rah-rah, they have combined a basic look with silly trends (color separation, nearly leaving the primary color off of an entire uniform, big collars, chrome helmet, three helmets, mix-and-match facemasks, unitard).

On the website (https://hyprrelite.com/) there are 15 possible uniform combos (without accounting for the mix-and-match facemasks or other pants combos not shown).  Even if they make the B1G Championship Game, they can't wear them all in a year. Easily, the best combo is the maroon/white/maroon.  And since they'll probably be wearing the white jersey at least five times, that combo is likely to be used at least once, unless they go all-in on the stormtrooper look most of the year.  

Oh, and on the white pants, nice work with the yellow "M."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

38 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Let's put it this way. 

How would you feel if Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State all had a semi truck sticker on their helmets because Urban Meyer liked to say "Keep On Truckin?" 

That's totally made up but shows the level of Fleck's disregard for his employer's brand. I guarantee if you redesigned the brand identity of each company you worked at so it met your personal mantra, you wouldn't last long. 

I completely agree. It's fine if he wanted to use some sort of saying on tshirts and training gear for the players. But to make it hold the same weight as the university's brand makes zero sense. 

the only acceptable "Row the Boat" reference on the uniform is the front bumper.. that's pretty much fair game for stuff like that in most programs, so i don't mind it... but the oar stripe is trash, the nautical star is trash, the chrome helmet is trash, the lack of yellow on the white helmet is trash, the grey uniforms are trash, the lack of any kind of consistency is trash, the fact that the sleeves are blank but they have shoulder numbers is trash, and Fleck's personal taste regarding uniforms is trash.. with this much trash, it could fill a dumpster.. throw a lit match in, and you get the dumpster fire that these uniforms are..

Paul Lukas rips this pretty hard.

https://uni-watch.com/2018/02/21/up- :censored:-creek-gophers-unveil-new-uni-set/

This ought to move a couple of you to Minnesota's corner.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, pianoknight said:

I actually want to see this now.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

The Row the Boat shtick is actually the least egregious thing on this uniform. There’s practically no yellow on the home jersey but there’s no white on the maroon helmet so it clashes almost as badly as the Rams current train wreck, if they wear yellow pants with the mostly maroon and white jersey it’s going to look awful. Their best option with the maroon jerseys in this look is probably white/maroon/white which shouldn’t be Minnesota’s look. The chrome gold with yellow pants is a horrendous combination, hopefully we’ll never see it (who am I kidding, of course we will). 

Though it would be really funny if Fleck got fired midseason and they had to wear Row the Boat stuff for the rest of the year and then likely also the year after since  they wouldn’t have time to get new stuff

07Giants.pngnyy.png

10 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Paul Lukas rips this pretty hard.

https://uni-watch.com/2018/02/21/up- :censored:-creek-gophers-unveil-new-uni-set/

This ought to move a couple of you to Minnesota's corner.

This is pretty spot on if you ask me. Not only does it cheapen Minnesota's brand, but now Western Michigan's brand is retroactively weakened as well. It basically feels like Fleck is using these schools as a platform to lift himself when it really should be the opposite. At best it's corny and at worst it's selling out your schools history for the gimmicks of a guy who didn’t even go .500 last year. 

spacer.png

I am: out on PJ Fleck.

What a joke. It's the University of Minnesota. This is their campus. Bricks and an old bridge. This is their logo, clearly best rendered without an outline. Two gorgeous colors, no need for white. No need for yellow lettering on white!!!! I would love for PJ Fleck to try and bring this somewhere else and have them just say no. Have it become a story. It's embarrassing. 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

4 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

Unpopular Opinion...The Oar Stripe looks good

The one on the maroon helmet looks ok, no clue why it looses the wood grain look on the white helmet and is absent in the chrome gold though.  Not much thought went into planning cohesive pieces in this set

2 hours ago, henburg said:

This is pretty spot on if you ask me. Not only does it cheapen Minnesota's brand, but now Western Michigan's brand is retroactively weakened as well. It basically feels like Fleck is using these schools as a platform to lift himself when it really should be the opposite. At best, it's corny and at worst it's selling out. 

I agree.  I get that he wants to be enthusiastic, but as you say, it's at the very least, corny to stick it all over the uniform.  And it seems like he's making it too much about himself.

By the way, the last over-the-top rah! rah! coach that program had was Tim Brewster...

POTD (Shared)

Archived