College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I just see it as harmless fun to be honest. Even the kind of stuff you just posted (though I wouldn't equate it with flags on football uniforms) I don't see any malicious intent to disrespect the flag and country even when it's worn as overalls or a bathing suit.

I’m sure many share your opinion, but the code is the code. If the flag isn’t supposed to touch the ground or fly in bad weather, then personally, I don’t see how stuffing it up your butt crack (or wearing it on your shoes, which pretty much exclusively touch the ground) can be dismissed as “harmless fun.”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I’m sure many share your opinion, but the code is the code. If the flag isn’t supposed to touch the ground or fly in bad weather, then personally, I don’t see how stuffing it up your butt crack (or wearing it on your shoes, which pretty much exclusively touch the ground) can be dismissed as “harmless fun.”

It's a flag dude, it doesnt have feelings. If you wanna wear usa socks, no one should stop you.

43 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

The flag code is really only dealing with actual flags, not stuff made to look like the flag (which includes clothing and other accessories designed to resemble it.)

Using legal canons of construction, there is no distinction between flags and things made to look like the flag. Otherwise it would render 36 U.S.C. §176 (j) fairly meaningless: “No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.” 

If this really only refers to actually cutting up a flag and using that part as part of a uniform, then it would only apply in such narrow cases to be rendered moot. In statutory construction, the language should never be interpreted in a way that renders it moot. I’m happy to entertain counter-arguements. 

The statute itself covers flag patches and pins. Those aren’t actual flags, but rather patches and pins made to look like flags.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Using legal canons of construction, there is no distinction between flags and things made to look like the flag. Otherwise it would render 36 U.S.C. §176 (j) fairly meaningless: “No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.” 

If this really only refers to actually cutting up a flag and using that part as part of a uniform, then it would only apply in such narrow cases to be rendered moot. In statutory construction, the language should never be interpreted in a way that renders it moot. I’m happy to entertain counter-arguements. 

The statute itself covers flag patches and pins. Those aren’t actual flags, but rather patches and pins made to look like flags.

Patches and pins are the only real exceptions in the flag code since they're supposed to be the main wearable representatives of actual flags.  While many flag-themed clothing may go against the US Flag Code (and basic fashion sense), it is really only a set of guidelines for proper etiquette, not actual enforceable rules that are criminally punishable in most jurisdictions.  Plus, most people know American flag-themed clothing is not an actual flag and doesn't need the same kind of reverence and respect as an actual flag.

The Beavs are going all-black for Friday’s Civil War game:

Dsj9tZGVsAA--Z-?format=jpg

I was hoping they’d wear orange or, better yet, bust out the Retro Benny fauxbacks again, but alas they’re just going with the standard black set instead. I’m still holding out hope for a color on color game, with the Ducks wearing either yellow or green (or preferably a combo including the yellow helmets and/or pants with the green jerseys). If the Ducks go with the white jerseys, though, then I’m hoping they at least go yellow/white/yellow or yellow/white/white.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, Webfooter said:

Patches and pins are the only real exceptions in the flag code since they're supposed to be the main wearable representatives of actual flags.  While many flag-themed clothing may go against the US Flag Code (and basic fashion sense), it is really only a set of guidelines for proper etiquette, not actual enforceable rules that are criminally punishable in most jurisdictions.  Plus, most people know American flag-themed clothing is not an actual flag and doesn't need the same kind of reverence and respect as an actual flag.

I get that it is etiquette and not criminally punishable, but I’m just pointing out that since “[n]o part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform,” these schools are in violation of that etiquette and potentially being as disrespectful to the flag as other violations (violations which I will not enumerate here).

I’m not actually condemning the uniforms on the basis of poor flag etiquette (though they probably are based on the arguments I’ve expressed), I’m condemning them for how gaudy and poorly designed they are. They also smack of “look-at-me-being-patriotic” type of sentiment that can often seem insincere.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Not sure on the jerseys and pants yet, but I’m pretty confident that the Ducks will be going with their yellow helmets for tomorrow’s Civil War game. Some of the players’ IG stories have shown the yellow helmets in their lockers, presumably to break them in again during today’s walkthrough practice. They always break in their game helmets during the walkthrough practice the day before the game. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

18 hours ago, Webfooter said:

No, you’re not going to be prosecuted (I think only DC has a $100 fine and/or 30 day jail sentence on its books as potential punishment), but as others have mentioned, there is no distinction between “flags” and “things that look like flags” to the flag code. If there were, the slope would be much too slippery. How would one make a legal distinction between a 6-inch promo giveaway flag on a wooden stick and an “actual” flag? They’re both fabric (maybe even the same fabric), both the same design, and both waving in the wind, but one is different somehow and doesn’t need to be treated with the same reverence? That’s much too vague, which is why that distinction doesn’t exist in the flag code. The flag is but a symbol, and it’s the symbol that should be revered according to the code. Thus, a flag is a flag, no matter how or where it’s depicted:

“...flag, standard, colors, or ensign’, as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size...”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

That facemask is looking a little rough..

I actually took the photos for this. We were having a hard time with the smoke. The smoke kept clinging to it. It was an absolute nightmare to try and clean off too. The equipment managers weren't too happy with us. So note to anyone doing this, be mindful of the smokebombs haha

^Yep, here’s the official announcement:

Should be a fairly nice looking color on color game, with the Ducks in all-yellow and the Beavs in all-black. Would’ve been nice to see some green from the Ducks, and a bit more orange from the Beavs, but oh well. I’m really glad the Ducks are wearing color instead of the same old chrome/white/white road look, but this would’ve been the perfect game to finally mix and match and go with something like the classic yellow/green/yellow or even yellow/green/green.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

15 hours ago, wyopokes2 said:

I actually took the photos for this. We were having a hard time with the smoke. The smoke kept clinging to it. It was an absolute nightmare to try and clean off too. The equipment managers weren't too happy with us. So note to anyone doing this, be mindful of the smokebombs haha

What's interesting about that, is getting paint to stick to a facemask is damn near impossible

Arkansas's all-white look is terrible.  Just wear the red helmets. 

Missouri continues to wear the block M on more helmets (black M on black helmet with yellow-gold outlines today)...they might as well just pick a good M design and wear it full time.

Virginia/Virginia Tech is a good looking game...Hokies always look great in maroon helmets with white facemasks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived