FightingGoldenDevil

College Football uniforms- 2018

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I disagree.. the only issue is the shade of purple most teams use.. teams often try to use a dark shade that doesn't pair well with black, but with a proper people, it can be a pretty good look..

This doesn't mean I think every purple team should go black-crazy, but I don't think the idea of purple and black is a bad one

 

The hue and value of the purple does make a big difference. I also think that using the black and purple as background colors and keeping the logos and numbers simple and bright works really well, too. For example, I think this works nicely, with a simple, unique, and cohesive use of color:

 

20120929_ajw_bs5_266.jpg

 

Northwestern-Throwback-8.png

 

Whereas these look very stock and uninteresting to me, the purple and black being incorporated in the trims and such (top) and a white facemask killing the cohesion between helmet and uniform (bottom):

 

VenricMark_Minnesota111911.jpg

 

cwru-faces-umu-at-mount-union-stadium-f2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Looks like the Ducks will be wearing green for the Red Box Bowl on New Year’s Eve:

I figured this would be the case since they’d only worn the green set twice this season, compared to wearing the yellow set three times and the black set twice (and they had the one-off Jumpman uniforms as well). Chances are they’ll just go all-green again, but the bowl game would be a good time for them to finally switch things up and go with the yellow helmets and/or pants with the green jerseys.

 

I was thinking Oregon would go with yellow since the last time they were the home team vs Michigan State, they wore yellow and destroyed the Spartans that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, msu said:

 

I was thinking Oregon would go with yellow since the last time they were the home team vs Michigan State, they wore yellow and destroyed the Spartans that day.

I think they would’ve if they hadn’t already worn the yellow set three times this season, and the green set only twice so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, RayFinkle said:

Division 2 championship game.....both teams wearing black pants. Ewww.

 

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Teams with purple should never mix it with black and another color. It gets too muddied up. I've only ever seen Northwestern have a decent balance of the two but they only use white or silverfor logos and numbers when they look the best.

Guess MJW was talking about the D3 championship which featured Mount Union. Because both teams in the D2 championship were wearing black and red (some yellow trim on Ferris State).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

 

 

Guess MJW was talking about the D3 championship which featured Mount Union. Because both teams in the D2 championship were wearing black and red (some yellow trim on Ferris State).

 

 

I was also talking about whomever Ferris State played who had yellow and purple jerseys and black pants. It may have been Minnesota State

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QdLWkRE.jpg

z6gk52v.jpg

Cure Bowl (Tulane vs Louisiana-Lafayette)

 

iP5aT3P.jpg

xgpAGdZ.jpg

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (Middle Tennessee State vs Appalachian State)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the Nike CFP teams (and possibly Jordan) still wearing the diamond swoosh this year? I haven’t seen it posted anywhere yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The diamond swoosh is back, but I have no idea what Oklahoma is going to do. As far as I’ve seen the Jordan logo does not receive any special treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda wish Notre Dame would get a diamond UA logo for the playoffs.. at this point it just feels like it's part of what comes with making the playoffs..

 

Also, is Notre Dame's UA logo black? It certainly appears that way, and I don't like it one bit.. looks extra cheap, like UA just grabbed a stock white jersey and slapped those new shiny numbers and logos on them.. I can forgive them not doing a diamond UA logo if I must, but to not even give them a team color UA logo is inexcusable..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I kinda wish Notre Dame would get a diamond UA logo for the playoffs.. at this point it just feels like it's part of what comes with making the playoffs..

 

Also, is Notre Dame's UA logo black? It certainly appears that way, and I don't like it one bit.. looks extra cheap, like UA just grabbed a stock white jersey and slapped those new shiny numbers and logos on them.. I can forgive them not doing a diamond UA logo if I must, but to not even give them a team color UA logo is inexcusable..

 

It’s blue. Because sits against the white, it looks darker than the numbers. This is one of the reasons I try to avoid mixing outlined and non-outlined elements of the same base color. I always look at how the colors meet one another and try to coordinate other elements that way. I would have gone gold with the corporate logos on both home and away, and no, I don’t care if that means it’s less visible on white. It’s a completely non-essential design element.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised Under Armour didn't make their logo the same gold that surrounds Notre Dame's numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

 

It’s blue. Because sits against the white, it looks darker than the numbers. This is one of the reasons I try to avoid mixing outlined and non-outlined elements of the same base color. I always look at how the colors meet one another and try to coordinate other elements that way. I would have gone gold with the corporate logos on both home and away, and no, I don’t care if that means it’s less visible on white. It’s a completely non-essential design element.

I've never had any issue before identifying the navy UA logo, even with their standard navy/gold numbers (Although I agree with your general design principle).. this one just looked darker.. after turning the brightness on my screen all the way up, I can definitely see a bit of blue to it.. but, I think it's as much to do with the fact that it's embroidered, and with darker thread.. the rubbery numbers seem to feature a slightly lighter navy and reflect more light in certain spots due to their glossy finish and larger size compared to the UA logo.. I also think the photo itself has a lot to do with it, since it was taken to highlight/showcase the new numbers..

I'm not as annoyed now, but it's still not ideal.. I just wish they'd do something for the sake of consistency.. a navy UA logo made of the same rubberized twill would look fine and improve the overall look.. a gold logo in the same material/finish might be the ideal solution, especially to play off of the "diamond swoosh" motif.. and it would aid in production, since they could use the same UA logo for white, navy, and potentially green jerseys.. 

I'm assuming UA is using this to test the waters for this new rubberized embellishment technique, but I don't like the mismatched materials and finishes.. it's like having a twill wordmark with screened numbers or something.. just looks a bit off to me.. particularly since the shades of navy aren't a great match..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I look at the Notre Dame jersey, the more I dislike the colors of the Cotton Bowl patch. It's tough because those are Goodyear's colors, but I don't think that color scheme works for too many teams but especially not for ND since gold and yellow on the same jersey clashes badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I've never had any issue before identifying the navy UA logo, even with their standard navy/gold numbers (Although I agree with your general design principle).. this one just looked darker.. after turning the brightness on my screen all the way up, I can definitely see a bit of blue to it.. but, I think it's as much to do with the fact that it's embroidered, and with darker thread.. the rubbery numbers seem to feature a slightly lighter navy and reflect more light in certain spots due to their glossy finish and larger size compared to the UA logo.. I also think the photo itself has a lot to do with it, since it was taken to highlight/showcase the new numbers..

I'm not as annoyed now, but it's still not ideal.. I just wish they'd do something for the sake of consistency.. a navy UA logo made of the same rubberized twill would look fine and improve the overall look.. a gold logo in the same material/finish might be the ideal solution, especially to play off of the "diamond swoosh" motif.. and it would aid in production, since they could use the same UA logo for white, navy, and potentially green jerseys.. 

I'm assuming UA is using this to test the waters for this new rubberized embellishment technique, but I don't like the mismatched materials and finishes.. it's like having a twill wordmark with screened numbers or something.. just looks a bit off to me.. particularly since the shades of navy aren't a great match..

 

Looking at the photo, I’m not sure how novel this embellishment technique is. Based on the way the gold wraps around the lip of the outline and even spreads into the blue a bit, I’d guess it’s just a gold film applied over the kiss-cut outline of a normal number, which is a pretty common material these days for uniforms that use finishes other than plain twill (think the shiny inline in Oregon’s new numbers, the green/purple color shift film they occasionally use, or the silver films used to make numbers look extra shiny and metallic).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

 

Looking at the photo, I’m not sure how novel this embellishment technique is. Based on the way the gold wraps around the lip of the outline and even spreads into the blue a bit, I’d guess it’s just a gold film applied over the kiss-cut outline of a normal number, which is a pretty common material these days for uniforms that use finishes other than plain twill (think the shiny inline in Oregon’s new numbers, the green/purple color shift film they occasionally use, or the silver films used to make numbers look extra shiny and metallic).

It looks different from those to me, but that's with very limited evidence, so you could certainly be correct, but the blue is the primary focus of my concern here.. and with the images I've seen, the blue appears bumpy and textured, unlike any standard twill I've ever seen.. comparing that material to the embroidered UA logo, they appear to be different colors, which isn't the optimal look imo, considering they're supposed to be the same color..

 

Here's a better view of what I'm talking about.. there's a video that starts with with numbers, then shifts to the sleeve logo, where it's even more clear

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/college-football/2018/12/07/notre-dame-uniform-cotton-bowl-college-football-playoff-game-clemson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2018 at 9:37 AM, JPDesign said:

It's a diamond Jumpman for OU.

 

ff_3376094-007819c0269218e9ae3balt1_full

 

just a small detail here, but i dont remember noticing this number font for OU. im loving the slight rounded corners on the inside and sharp points on the outside of the 1.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

It looks different from those to me, but that's with very limited evidence, so you could certainly be correct, but the blue is the primary focus of my concern here.. and with the images I've seen, the blue appears bumpy and textured, unlike any standard twill I've ever seen.. comparing that material to the embroidered UA logo, they appear to be different colors, which isn't the optimal look imo, considering they're supposed to be the same color..

 

Here's a better view of what I'm talking about.. there's a video that starts with with numbers, then shifts to the sleeve logo, where it's even more clear

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/college-football/2018/12/07/notre-dame-uniform-cotton-bowl-college-football-playoff-game-clemson

 

Ah. I see the texture. That is something I haven’t seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.