FightingGoldenDevil

College Football uniforms- 2018

Recommended Posts

Oklahoma finally acknowledged what we all knew was coming.

 

The article says that change to the new fonts will occur as replacement uniforms are needed rather than an overnight change for all sports.

 

However, with OU’s Jumpman announcement, I’d expect football and basketball to be some of the first to debut the new gear since they’re already updating those programs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Oklahoma finally acknowledged what we all knew was coming.

 

The article says that change to the new fonts will occur as replacement uniforms are needed rather than an overnight change for all sports.

 

However, with OU’s Jumpman announcement, I’d expect football and basketball to be some of the first to debut the new gear since they’re already updating those programs.

 

 

 

Not feeling the N or the R there. Why not create a font based on the logo? I actually prefer the Os used in 'Sooners' but I don't like that they are different than the O in the logo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, j'villejags said:

 

Not feeling the N or the R there. Why not create a font based on the logo? I actually prefer the Os used in 'Sooners' but I don't like that they are different than the O in the logo. 

 

Exactly. It’s objectively bad for the lettering style to be so similar, but slightly different, and as you stated, the N and R are a bit awkward at the moment. The new monogram looks great, though.

 

On 4/10/2018 at 9:34 PM, henburg said:

I know that brand loyalty is generally frowned upon, but Adidas' on field product looks worse than Nike or Under Armor every single time. The fit is bad, but the material is the worse. Pair that with skewed design elements and it's just a cheap look. 

 

Players generally enjoy the fit, so I’m not sure what you mean by “bad” here. While I didn’t enjoy the past two iterations of the patterning, the material itself is glorious in hand; springy, yet sturdy and substantial. Have you ever felt it? Lastly, while the distortion leaves much to be desired on film numbers, proper twill numbers look fine.

 

614899676.jpg.0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a follow-up to my previous post -- the void in the N and R makes them look out of place to me. It seems like they just shaved those letters for the sole purpose of making a unique typeface.

 

A couple tweaks to try to make this set look more cohesive -- 

 

R3EkmcN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

As a follow-up to my previous post -- the void in the N and R makes them look out of place to me. It seems like they just shaved those letters for the sole purpose of making a unique typeface.

 

A couple tweaks to try to make this set look more cohesive -- 

 

R3EkmcN.png

 

10 hours ago, j'villejags said:

 

Not feeling the N or the R there. Why not create a font based on the logo? I actually prefer the Os used in 'Sooners' but I don't like that they are different than the O in the logo. 

I mean to be fair it’s close enough. It could be 1000x worse. You a big Okie guy? You seem real distraught at this whole new wordmark, which may I personally say, is pretty tasty. It’s a simple classic feel with a little bit of that sweet sweet half serif hybrid.

 

Plus you realize your tweak just gave Oklahoma the same N in their wordmark as Nebraska’s logo? That would be maybe the greatest thing ever to happen to Nebraska when having to play an old Big XII rival Oklahoma in anything. That would be actually awesome. Please suggest to administration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

 

I mean to be fair it’s close enough. It could be 1000x worse. You a big Okie guy? You seem real distraught at this whole new wordmark, which may I personally say, is pretty tasty. It’s a simple classic feel with a little bit of that sweet sweet half serif hybrid.

 

Plus you realize your tweak just gave Oklahoma the same N in their wordmark as Nebraska’s logo? That would be maybe the greatest thing ever to happen to Nebraska when having to play an old Big XII rival Oklahoma in anything. That would be actually awesome. Please suggest to administration.

 

It would be similar to Nebraska's N, but it is not quite the same.

 

I'll share designs and modifications like that from time to time around here. It's just a hobby I use as a creative outlet -- nothing more or less. I wanted to try to illustrate what I'd have done differently.

 

I'm definitely not a distraught OU fan. (Quite the opposite actually.) Maybe I just like to pick on the Sooners when I get a chance. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brown1 said:

 

I mean to be fair it’s close enough. It could be 1000x worse. You a big Okie guy? You seem real distraught at this whole new wordmark, which may I personally say, is pretty tasty. It’s a simple classic feel with a little bit of that sweet sweet half serif hybrid.

 

Plus you realize your tweak just gave Oklahoma the same N in their wordmark as Nebraska’s logo? That would be maybe the greatest thing ever to happen to Nebraska when having to play an old Big XII rival Oklahoma in anything. That would be actually awesome. Please suggest to administration.

 

If it was a logo, I might agree, but for a random letter in the middle of a word, not so much.

 

Uniqueness is important, but it’s not a principle of design and should never trump the actual principles. Sacrificing proper aesthetics and/or formal composition to make something more unique is a net negative, in my opinion. You have to find a way to do it without disrupting the rhythm, the unity, the proportion, the balance, etc. The N is unintentionally the focal point of that wordmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

 

If it was a logo, I might agree, but for a random letter in the middle of a word, not so much.

 

Uniqueness is important, but it’s not a principle of design and should never trump the actual principles. Sacrificing proper aesthetics and/or formal composition to make something more unique is a net negative, in my opinion. You have to find a way to do it without disrupting the rhythm, the unity, the proportion, the balance, etc. The N is unintentionally the focal point of that wordmark.

That’s because the N is exactly in the middle. That’s just human nature:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brown1 said:

That’s because the N is exactly in the middle. That’s just human nature:

 

Not exactly. It’s more because the N is like 1.5 times wider than all the other letters and has no inside serifs, making it feel very open and airy compared to the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

 

Exactly. It’s objectively bad for the lettering style to be so similar, but slightly different, and as you stated, the N and R are a bit awkward at the moment. The new monogram looks great, though.

 

 

Players generally enjoy the fit, so I’m not sure what you mean by “bad” here. While I didn’t enjoy the past two iterations of the patterning, the material itself is glorious in hand; springy, yet sturdy and substantial. Have you ever felt it? Lastly, while the distortion leaves much to be desired on film numbers, proper twill numbers look fine.

 

614899676.jpg.0.jpg

We just placed an order for new white jerseys, and my recommendation of twill numbers was vetoed by pretty much everyone - including our Adidas rep who said the "big name" teams who use it will be switching away from it.. I was annoyed to say the least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Brown1 said:

I mean to be fair it’s close enough. It could be 1000x worse. You a big Okie guy? You seem real distraught at this whole new wordmark, which may I personally say, is pretty tasty. It’s a simple classic feel with a little bit of that sweet sweet half serif hybrid.

Finding an obsession with a detail is certainly not contingent on being a diehard fan of the team in question ‘round these parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

 

Not exactly. It’s more because the N is like 1.5 times wider than all the other letters and has no inside serifs, making it feel very open and airy compared to the others.

Well ya. But the N is gonna be wider than all those letters no matter what with some sort of serifs. Now the way to fix that would be lose your serifs but now it looks just like the Nebraska helmet N. Are you sure you’re not just a Nebraska troll trying to sneak a Nebraska N into the Sooners wordmark? I’m on to you....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

We just placed an order for new white jerseys, and my recommendation of twill numbers was vetoed by pretty much everyone - including our Adidas rep who said the "big name" teams who use it will be switching away from it.. I was annoyed to say the least 

 

Well, that’s disappointing. *facepalm*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Well ya. But the N is gonna be wider than all those letters no matter what with some sort of serifs. Now the way to fix that would be lose your serifs but now it looks just like the Nebraska helmet N. Are you sure you’re not just a Nebraska troll trying to sneak a Nebraska N into the Sooners wordmark? I’m on to you....

 

The Nebraska N is twice as tall as that N. There are hundreds of sports wordmarks with Ns in them, many of which look like the Nebraska N, yet you’re the only person on the planet bringing it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

 

The Nebraska N is twice as tall as that N. There are hundreds of sports wordmarks with Ns in them, many of which look like the Nebraska N, yet you’re the only person on the planet bringing it up.

1200px-Nebraska_Cornhuskers_logo.svg.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gupti said:

Finding an obsession with a detail is certainly not contingent on being a diehard fan of the team in question ‘round these parts.

You mean you guys on this site here don’t like crappy designed logos and uniforms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

 

No, I was talking about this one, you know, the one they only use for the helmet decal. :rolleyes:

 

5857600.jpg

Well there is two (2) Nebraska Ns. At least as far as I’m aware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Well there is two (2) Nebraska Ns. At least as far as I’m aware of.

 

Right, and when I described one as being twice as tall as the N we were talking about (*and* you brought up the helmet N in the previous post), you probably could have figured out which one I meant without being sardonic.

 

But I didn’t explicitly specify the *helmet* N, so here we are again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

 

Right, and when I described one as being twice as tall as the N we were talking about (the one you yourself brought up in the previous post), you probably could have figured out which one I meant without being sardonic.

 

But I didn’t explicitly specify the *helmet* N, so here we are again.

Well their officially logo is the one I posted. So I thought when we were talking about Nebraska’s N one would assume the official logo not the one that’s just on the helmets.........

 

You just served me up a meatball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.