College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

3 minutes ago, jbru119 said:

It is truly amazing how excited the uni-verse can get over something as simple as black shoes & socks... 

Haha it is, but personally i grew up watching UT wear black socks and cleats, so it's very nostalgic for me. I even wore black cleats/socks in hs to look like Colt McCoy (and wore my chinstrap cover backwards bc him and VY did it...silly, i know)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, dont care said:

This looks like a dark grey to me, not black.

It’s a black heather, so the effect is that of a very dark gray, likely similar if not identical to the 2018 U.S. Army All-American game where the jersey was launched.

2018-Army-adidas-Primeknit-A1-Uni-East.j

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, jakgol said:

Teams without black look stupid with black socks and cleats. Miami looked stupid last year. Texas will look stupid this year.

in what capacity do they look stupid? the difference in color isnt distracting, as it is so close to the ground, and doesn't throw off a uniforms color balance.

I don't see any of the following looks being improved by white or team colored cleats.

usa_today_9545312.0.jpg

597a230893b9f.image.jpg

Braxton+Berrios+Lawrence+Cager+Notre+Dam

I'm a sticker myself for the socks shoe debate. Miami above everything but the bottom looks good. Penn State alot times now wears least white compression pants and no black socks so I can deal with a team wearing black shoes.  But for Texas considering both your main colors are light and your pants a solid white... idk. I love Texas on the road in the all white head to toe with the burnt orange. Was just beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

in what capacity do they look stupid? the difference in color isnt distracting, as it is so close to the ground, and doesn't throw off a uniforms color balance.

I don't see any of the following looks being improved by white or team colored cleats.

usa_today_9545312.0.jpg

597a230893b9f.image.jpg

Penn State would look better in white shoes because navy and black are too close to work together. If West Virginia gets crapped on for using black and navy on the same uniform, Penn State should, too.

Nebraska actually gets a pass because a throwback looks best when it is historically accurate.

White cleats are less distracting for Miami.

Y'all hate unnecessary black elements on jerseys, so why should cleats be black for no reason?

2 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

usa_today_9545312.0.jpg

597a230893b9f.image.jpg

Now that you mention it, the black socks and/or cleats stick out like a sore thumb on all of those uniforms. They would all look better with white cleats/socks.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

8 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Now that you mention it, the black socks and/or cleats stick out like a sore thumb on all of those uniforms. They would all look better with white cleats/socks.

Black cleats nearly always work, but I don’t like them with black socks like what Miami has there. It looks like you forgot to put on your dress pants. I also think Miami is simply a good fit for white shoes considering South Florida, their history with the color, and the whole vibe they’ve built their brand on.

That Nebraska uniform is a perfect example of what black cleats should look like.

Penn State again looks good, but I really wish they’d continue with the tiny details that bring their uniform into the contemporary space. They have the blue mask and the logo at the collar, I’d love to see them evolve it with a blue stripe on the pants and dark blue shoes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Black cleats are always ok.. They're shoes.. Shoes are commonly black.. 

Plus, I don't consider cleats to be "part of the uniform".. They're more of an accessory.. Black being needlessly added to a uniform is one thing.. Wearing a normal/traditional colored shoe is another thing entirely.. 

They aren't always the best-looking option, but they always work..

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Black cleats nearly always work, but I don’t like them with black socks like what Miami has there. It looks like you forgot to put on your dress pants. I also think Miami is simply a good fit for white shoes considering South Florida, their history with the color, and the whole vibe they’ve built their brand on.

That Nebraska uniform is a perfect example of what black cleats should look like.

Penn State again looks good, but I really wish they’d continue with the tiny details that bring their uniform into the contemporary space. They have the blue mask and the logo at the collar, I’d love to see them evolve it with a blue stripe on the pants and dark blue shoes.

I agree with all of this. If you are not an old school program, play in a warm or temperate climate, and have an abundance of light colors in your uniform you should be wearing white or team color footwear. Ideally psu would be coming off the death penalty right about now so any updates to their identity would be a sign of progress. ?

Just now, walkerws said:

>they always have 

But last season, only a handful of players used Schutts and F7s were not seen at all.  This season there seems to be a wider array of helmets.  Plus, there's also some players using the Vicis Zero1:

DjtElqFU0AANpYj.jpg

^Yeah, there does seem to be a wider array of helmet styles being worn so far. We’ll see if any players switch styles before the start of the season, though. What I find more interesting about Day 1 of fall camp today is the slightly different number font that the Ducks are using on their new black workout/practice shorts. It’s sort of like a hybrid between the font they’ve been using since the 2016 Alamo Bowl and the one that was used during the Mariota years, with some additional tweaks here and there. It also matches up with the font that they’ve been using in recent promotional material (except the numbers on the shorts are stretched vertically compared to the ones on these graphics):

DjtWJi7UUAAmEry?format=jpg

Di98eiJU8AA7G8V?format=jpg

Here’s the font they’ve been using the last 2+ seasons (and are still currently using on their practice jerseys) for comparison:

Untouchable%20Alamo%20Bowl%20Font%20Corr

If this new font ends up being used on the new uniforms, then I’d call it an upgrade. Brings it back a little closer to the Mariota-era font, and gets rid of many of the unnecessary points and details that the previous (I guess still current) font has/had.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If the edges were rounded they'd look better. That 8 doesn't look good either.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of the 8, but the other numbers look pretty solid IMO. Not as good as the Mariota-era font, but much better than their most recent font.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I think they’re pretty good, all things considered (I’m sure y’all remember the honeycomb bubble sets), but they look better with the traditional stripes. And the striping pattern is basically the same as Mizzou. I do like the return of gold numbers on the primary white jersey. Haven’t seen a photo of a dark jersey yet.

GTAdidas_07302018_KarlLMoore-10_Clean-1.

GTAdidas_07302018_KarlLMoore-116_Clean-1

Archived