College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

1 minute ago, SSmith48 said:

Well, that Shamrock Series look is very distinctive. I subconsciously like it because it is so different, but the execution is off and plays too much off of the Yankees. I dunno though. I still kinda dig it.

Also, Grambling State unveiled some new Adidas duds. I really want to like the red jersey, but it just doesn't fit with the rest of the set. (Also, sorry for the poor quality picture. It's the best one I could find.)

Grambling State shows off its new adidas game jerseys Wednesday night.

They have worn red before, but more as a trim color.

Image result for grambling state football 1990

Those new unis are incredibly clean and a lot less flashy than some of their previous offerings, aren't they?

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Webfooter said:

Full look of all the uniforms together.  The blacks stick out like a sore thumb due to the inclusion of volt and the whites look off because of the lack of yellow.  Still wondering if they'll have a white helmet or not:

Dkr86qcU0AAQsih.jpg

They look palatable here, but that could be from the photographer having them crouch down and lean in with those 'football stances' to effectively mask the size of the numbers. 

For anyone interested, here's what reducing the number size a smidge might look like -- 

Ex2TDKM.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

6 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

They look palatable here, but that could be from the photographer having them crouch down and lean in with those 'football stances' to effectively mask the size of the numbers. 

For anyone interested, here's what reducing the number size a smidge might look like -- 

Ex2TDKM.png

That still looks bad.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

4 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

Ex2TDKM.png

That looks so much better.  The increased number size seems to be a reaction to the complaints that many people have with modern jerseys being hard to read, due to material, design, and/or size.

44 minutes ago, Davidellias said:

This might be the first time in history a sports team has ever Jumped the Shark.

This could be said of both Oregon and Notre Dame, and it would be right both times.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 hours ago, j'villejags said:

It looks like they wanted to make the inner-stroke more prominent, so they enlarged the numbers to show off the added detail. Then they needed to chop off the collar to make room for the aforementioned oversized numbers.

...Which gave them the need to add the Ducks patch on the jersey to give some form of identification. Then they slapped an oversized O on the pants to make sure that logo was visible somewhere.

Hate to quote myself but I started wondering...

What if the real reason they made the numbers so big was to show off how much room they have on the front of this new template? 

Conspiracy-Keanu.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Here are a couple more looks. I think this is absolutely disgusting. You’re Notre Dame FFS. You have a storied history as celebrated in the college ranks as the Yankees do in the professionals. You don’t need to play dress up. This isn’t some example of a D2 school getting to play in a cool venue. YOU’RE F***ING NOTRE DAME.

Pinstripe football pants.

pants1.png

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think Notre Dame's jerseys fail not just aesthetically but because they alienate some of their own fan base. Last I checked Boston is a city rooted in Catholic traditions, and Catholics have always made up a decent chunk of ND's fan base. Wearing stripes from a team many Boston fans hate doesn't seem like a smart move.

Check out various zip codes around Boston on this map, and Notre Dame is often the 2nd or 3rd most popular college team:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,42.360,-71.059

I want to pose a question. It might warrant it's own thread if it gets a lot of discussion though.

Has the uniform world gotten so over saturated that we've all become desensitized to any new design? 

Oregon was underwhelming with, in all honesty, a rather simple and clean design. Notre Dame went with something very different and it got zero fan fare. Is this a by-product of the designs themselves, the current trends swinging back to a more minimalist style, or the fact that we've all seen so many freaking new uniforms across the board the last 5 years or so?

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

17 hours ago, upperV03 said:

On a positive note, now the crew of the International Space Station can watch Ducks games through the porthole and still be able to identify the players.

That's some #Smart #BrandBuilding if you ask me *fire emoji*

46 minutes ago, msu said:

I think Notre Dame's jerseys fail not just aesthetically but because they alienate some of their own fan base. Last I checked Boston is a city rooted in Catholic traditions, and Catholics have always made up a decent chunk of ND's fan base. Wearing stripes from a team many Boston fans hate doesn't seem like a smart move.

Check out various zip codes around Boston on this map, and Notre Dame is often the 2nd or 3rd most popular college team:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,42.360,-71.059

It'd be really weird if those Notre Dame fans in Boston stopped being Notre Dame fans because of one uniform.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

25 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

I want to pose a question. It might warrant it's own thread if it gets a lot of discussion though.

Has the uniform world gotten so over saturated that we've all become desensitized to any new design? 

Oregon was underwhelming with, in all honesty, a rather simple and clean design. Notre Dame went with something very different and it got zero fan fare. Is this a by-product of the designs themselves, the current trends swinging back to a more minimalist style, or the fact that we've all seen so many freaking new uniforms across the board the last 5 years or so?

It is an interesting question. Short answer: college football and lower levels, yes... we're all numb. I think there's still some nerve in the NFL due to their restrictions and tradition that when someone takes a design "risk" it gets blowback (Browns, Titans, Bucs) and programs where they loosened the restrictions (like the Color Rush program) were not well-received. Also, every change has a semi-permanence to it (5 years or longer), so there are more consequences.

I could get worked up over the Oregon uniforms, or I could just wait until they release some new uniforms for the bowl game with normal-sized numbers. That's why everyone has become desensitized to uniform design: everyone knows that a school is going to change their uniforms again in a year or two when the coach leaves, a new template is unveiled, or they switch apparel manufacturers. Everything has moved to the same culture that soccer kits have: if you don't like a school's uniform, you complain and wait for the next one, which could be just around the corner.

1 hour ago, Gupti said:

You can’t say that the Ducks uniforms look like “practice jerseys..”

.. because their current practice uniforms are an infinitely superior version of what they just unveiled.?

884_C11_DB_F35_B_4_EDD_B128_0_ABE6_E50_E

So I guess we're bringing the "practice jersey" discussion over from the NFL thread? ?

On the Notre Dame uniforms: michaelscottno.gif

4 minutes ago, GFB said:

It is an interesting question. Short answer: college football and lower levels, yes... we're all numb. I think there's still some nerve in the NFL due to their restrictions and tradition that when someone takes a design "risk" it gets blowback (Browns, Titans, Bucs) and programs where they loosened the restrictions (like the Color Rush program) were not well-received. Also, every change has a semi-permanence to it (5 years or longer), so there are more consequences.

I could get worked up over the Oregon uniforms, or I could just wait until they release some new uniforms for the bowl game with normal-sized numbers. That's why everyone has become desensitized to uniform design: everyone knows that a school is going to change their uniforms again in a year or two when the coach leaves, a new template is unveiled, or they switch apparel manufacturers. Everything has moved to the same culture that soccer kits have: if you don't like a school's uniform, you complain and wait for the next one, which could be just around the corner.

I've been waiting on new uniforms for WVU for a while now :(

90758391980.gif

Archived