XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

Well...

On March 27, 2019, Vincent K. McMahon (“Mr. McMahon”), Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (the “Company”), sold 3,204,427   shares of the Company’s Class A common stock in a block trade made in accordance with the provisions of Rule 144 of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended. Mr. McMahon executed the sale primarily to fund a separate entity from the Company, Alpha Entertainment LLC “Alpha”), which Mr. McMahon established to explore investment opportunities across the sports and entertainment landscapes, including launching a professional football league under the name “XFL”. Alpha has announced that this launch will occur in early 2020.  Mr. McMahon has informed the Company that he has no current plan to sell additional shares of the Company’s stock and that he intends to continue in his capacity as the Company’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer for the foreseeable future.

The shares sold by Mr. McMahon represent approximately 4.1% of the Company’s total outstanding shares of Class A and Class B common stock.  After the sale, Mr. McMahon beneficially owns 28,682,948 shares of the Company’s Class B common stock, which represents approximately 80.1% of the Company’s total voting power and approximately 36.8% of the Company’s total outstanding shares of common stock.

Source: The WWE 8-K filing dated March 27, 2019

https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/sec-and-other-documents/sec-filings

EDIT: Here's the filing on the web w/o visiting the Corporate WWE site or downloading the PDF..

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/us/wwe/SEC/sec-show.aspx?Type=html&FilingId=13323740&Cik=0001091907

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the Big question is whether this will last longer than the AAF. 

Needless to say this isn't Vince's first venture, so he likely won't make the same mistakes he did with the original XFL, and now he can learn from the AAF failings too. 

Is a Shame though, AAF & XFL going head to head against each other could have been pretty interesting. Especially if both were in their first season. 

On 4/4/2019 at 8:00 AM, MJWalker45 said:

https://thebiglead.com/2019/04/03/vince-mcmahon-offered-aaf-xfl/

According to Clay Travis the AAF tried to get McMahon to join in. Also according to him, McMahon may have TV deals in place. Explains lax ESPN coverage outside of Becovicci getting blown up opening weekend.

If it's on ESPN, they should go ahead and cancel the season. Seems like everything is blacked out, no matter if you have + or not.

1 hour ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

If it's on ESPN, they should go ahead and cancel the season. Seems like everything is blacked out, no matter if you have + or not.

That seems to be a MLS issue because I'm able to watch every Crew or FCC game because I'm not within 200 miles of either. I'd also bet ESPN would ask for a piece of the league as part of the broadcast deal. Not 50/50 like NBC but enough to give them enough of a desire to see out those supposed 3 years of stability that gets floated around.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That seems to be a MLS issue because I'm able to watch every Crew or FCC game because I'm not within 200 miles of either. I'd also bet ESPN would ask for a piece of the league as part of the broadcast deal. Not 50/50 like NBC but enough to give them enough of a desire to see out those supposed 3 years of stability that gets floated around.

I told him in the soccer thread to move to Arkansas. I provide solutions, I can't help if people refuse to take them.

XFL commissioner Oliver Luck said Monday on the PFT PM podcast that the league plans to use a three-tiered extra-point system after touchdowns and a two-point conversion shootout in overtime when it launches in 2020.

Luck discussed the plans when asked how the XFL plans to differentiate itself from the NFL game.

On extra points, teams can choose whether to go for a one-point conversion from the 2-yard line, a two-point try from the 5-yard line or a three-point attempt from the 10-yard line.

"We literally have a nine-point touchdown. We think that's valuable because teams that historically are down by let's say three scores, well guess what, if it's a 16-point or a 17-point differential, you're really looking at a two-score game theoretically," he said.

The XFL's overtime rules are currently being tested in the Spring League. Luck said each team will have five opportunities to convert a two-point conversion in the overtime session. The defense would score one point with a turnover.

Forty-four players will be on the field at the same time in the overtime session, with both team's offenses and defenses on opposite ends of the field.

"Soccer, which is the global game, hockey, which is the cold-weather global game -- they've figured out how to do overtimes. They're compelling," he said.

Luck said the XFL wants games to have a three-hour time limit and the overtime system could be completed in four to five minutes, ensuring that even games that go into overtime would end in three hours, maximum.

1 hour ago, Wings said:

So I'm guessing OT will go ABABABABAB? I guess it can work. Will they look to copy soccer by having ads attached to the score bug as well? That could be the impetus to get the NFL to swap over to them if ad dollars come in at a decent rate. At least they have the 9 point TD at the start of the year instead of adding as they go. Saw the 5 yard halo is being used in the Spring League, so no fair catches still a thing?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

So in OT, the Back Judge, Side Judge and Field Judge must go to the opposite end line (120 yards) after each play?

Sounds like it. I wonder how much time there is between ends. I wonder if they'd do tiered OT conversions. Team A goes for 3, gets it, Team b has to go for 3 to tie. Team a goes for 2 and fails, team b just needs to go for 1 to convert and win. Would put a little more intrigue into it. And prevent the chance of dozens of plays before there's a winner. 

22 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

So XFL would be an ESPN+ product? That's a good deal, though many of the ESPN+ games are just re-broadcasts of local media markets. I don't see Root Sports covering the Seattle Piledrivers -- would ESPN provide field crews for each of the games but push it to their OTT network? If so, wouldn't they be able to then get around blackouts?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

59 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

So XFL would be an ESPN+ product? That's a good deal, though many of the ESPN+ games are just re-broadcasts of local media markets. I don't see Root Sports covering the Seattle Piledrivers -- would ESPN provide field crews for each of the games but push it to their OTT network? If so, wouldn't they be able to then get around blackouts?

He'll do that and he mentioned having games on an app like the ill-fated and ill-prepared AAF. If I'm going to recommend one improvement on that, it would be to have a choice between three audio tracks: One for game audio and the two others being the radio play-by-play for either team.

10 hours ago, Wings said:

"Soccer, which is the global game ... they've figured out how to do overtimes. They're compelling," he said.

Soccer sure has figured out how to do overtime: not at all. The only soccer matches that go to extra time are elimination matches; otherwise, a match that is level after regulation time ends in a draw.  So there's no good reason for any overtime in regular-season games in this league, especially if one of the concerns is to keep the games under three hours.

And, once you get to the playoffs, there's also no good reason for wacky or gimmicky overtime rules. Just play normal alternating possessions until one team comes out ahead after a set of possessions. The existence of three different levels of conversion after a touchdown would add drama to this simple format.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

20 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Soccer sure has figured out how to do overtime: not at all. The only soccer matches that go to extra time are elimination matches; otherwise, a match that is level after regulation time ends in a draw.  So there's no good reason for any overtime in regular-season games in this league, especially if one of the concerns is to keep the games under three hours. 

And, once you get to the playoffs, there's also no good reason for wacky or gimmicky overtime rules. Just play normal alternating possessions until one team comes out ahead after a set of possessions. The existence of three different levels of conversion after a touchdown would add drama to this simple format.

I know he was meaning the penalty kicks. Which, honestly, are the worst way to end a game. I hate them with a passion in soccer.

I've always thought soccer should go with a 'vanishing player' extra-time. Start with 30 minutes on the clock with 11 players aside. Every three minutes, a player has to declare themselves out (raise a hand or something) and run off the field and not touch the ball while they're still in the field of play). Every three minutes. Until it's just 1v1 until someone wins. I know it sounds absurd, but it's more 'real' than penalty kicks. And is more akin to hockey's 3v3 or 4v4 than the penalty kicks. Which are like football players doing PAT kicks from the 2 until someone misses.

I do like the XFL idea. But only if the teams can pick their point total for that particular try. 1, 2 or 3. I think a lot of OTs would be over after the first two plays. Team A has to decide which to try for. 1 means a 2 pt try for Team B wins it.  So, go for 2. But a 3 would beat them. But easier to defend. If they get it, the other team has to decide to tie and continue or go for the win. If they go for 3 first, then it's tie or its over.

This apparent 2 v 2 means a lot more games going 2 or 3 OTs.

Remember, the old XFL regular season OT was matching possessions. If a team scores on 2 plays, then the other team only gets two plays for a TD. And then the conversion. One team leads, it's over. Tied, they do another OT. Again, same number of plays as the first team for the second team. They're just cutting straight to PATs instead now. But same general concept.

5 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I know he was meaning the penalty kicks. Which, honestly, are the worst way to end a game. I hate them with a passion in soccer.

Ah, I guess he was indeed alluding to penalties.

I agree that penalties are terrible. I think the better method is the shootout that the old NASL had.

This is the only thing from the early cheesy days of MLS that I would like to bring back.

Anyway, the point remains that soccer matches go to penalties only when there has to be a winner. So copying soccer would mean that any overtime format would apply only in the playoffs, and that there would be no overtime in the regular season.

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Ah, I guess he was indeed alluding to penalties.

I agree that penalties are terrible. I think the better method is the shootout that the old NASL had.

Are you referring to the “mini game” or the shootouts? Because the shootouts were just penalties with a running start.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Are you referring to the “mini game” or the shootouts? Because the shootouts were just penalties with a running start.

I mean just the shootout.

The difference is not only the running start on the part of the shooter, but also the goalkeeper's ability to come out and challenge the shooter. This takes no more time than penalties; but it involves actual competitive play, rather than what amounts to chance.

13 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I’d buy a Seattle Piledrivers shirt the second it was released. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I guess, I just don't see that as enough of a difference to elevate from "terrible" to something worth replicating.

Rodney Marsh, Johann Cruyff, and Carlos Alberto saw a significant difference.  And the shootout also has the support of Marco van Basten, now a FIFA official. 

The difference between the shootout and penalties is fundamental: it is one of skill versus luck. 

Archived