XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

I think the XFL and the author make some assumptions that may not be true about the AAF to disparage them, but at the same time, they're not competitors to each other. They share no markets, so they're not competing.

The AAF has taken the alternative market approach, putting teams in places that have no NFL teams to even indirectly compete with. And they've been very clear they want their league to be a stepping stone to the NFL for their players if possible. Embracing the "minor league" approach to the NFL. It's a model that hasn't been well fleshed out in the past and has the potential to do something. 

The XFL on the other hand, while claiming they're not competing with the NFL, have put all of their teams (other than St. Louis) in indirect competition with the NFL teams in the markets they've placed their teams. And they've gone a step further and stated they're not working with the NFL at all (which means they're indirectly competing in that way too) and will not be supportive of player movement to the senior league. Which by default puts them in competition with the NFL for player talent. So while they claim this isn't a repeat of XFL 1.0, it sure is looking like one. A more polished and less openly abrasive to the NFL version of the XFL maybe... but still set up as a competing league designed to "revamp" the game to be "better" than the NFL.  

In lieu of anywhere else to put it, I found that video -- it's a year old, maybe you saw it already -- of Greg Schiano's proposal to replace kickoffs with an automatic 4th/15/<--30 where the team that just scored can punt as one would on fourth down or go for the first down to keep possession. I have to say, I'm intrigued. Touchbacks are boring and start the drives too far downfield, so now coffin-corner punts would be an option. Also, onside kicks are silly and vestigial, so Goin' For It On Fourth would have more in common with the rest of the game as a desperation maneuver. And you may not even need a roster spot for a placekicker anymore -- one would have to believe a punter could kick the extra point if he had to. I'd like to see a league give this a try, but because it's aimed toward increasing player safety, the XFL will probably do the opposite, like make blocks in the back legal.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, the XFL has announced that it’ll ban the 3-point stance.  Which is something the NFL should have done years ago.

But in fairness, we don’t know that they’re doing so for the safety concerns.  And yeah, lol at the thought of Vince McMahon being an advocate for worker safety.  

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:
15 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

The new XFL will be all for player safety.

lol sure it will be

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well, the XFL has announced that it’ll ban the 3-point stance.

I thought that I had read that the XFL is considering a ban on the three-point stance. Did I miss an announcement of a decision on that?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I thought that I had read that the XFL is considering a ban on the three-point stance. Did I miss an announcement of a decision on that?

We talked about these rules on an earlier page, I thought they were confirmed.  

Now that I read it, it’s a proposed rule. 

A proposed rule would require offensive linemen (excluding the snapper) to not put their hand on the ground, outlawing the 3 pt stance used at all other levels of the game.

I should have known it was too good to be true. 

• 3 weeks later...

Vince is really relying on a lucrative TV contract.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/xfl-football-to-pay-st-louis-per-game-times-what/article_427bc8d1-de8d-5d32-9808-b3fccd589911.html

In November, XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck agreed to pay $100,000 in rent per game plus all concession cash to the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission, managers of the stadium now called the Dome at America’s Center.

The league has agreed to give managers of the Raymond James Stadium, home to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, revenues from all game-day food, beverage and parking sales — plus ticket fees that could end up costing the league more than $150,000 a game, according to a term sheet provided by the Tampa Sports Authority.

At the University of Houston’s TDECU Stadium, the XFL has agreed to pay for game-day operations, a $2 per ticket facility fee, plus between $30,000 and $45,000 per game, according to its term sheet. The university will also pocket a share of concessions and merchandise sales.

20 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Will the XFL use a rules analyst for whatever network they sign with?

WWE Network? (sorry, had to)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 1/2/2019 at 1:33 PM, Gothamite said:

Whoa.  That seems a hell of a gamble. 

Part of the STL article didn't mention that both the Tampa and Houston terms are basically their standard ones.  When the university was building their stadium, those fees were part of a PowerPoint given to the Trustees and the A11FL were given the same terms for their exhibition game which never occurred.

The costs in Houston are similar to what AAF pays in Memphis ($39,000 base stadium rent, $50,000 for the parking lots, $1 city ticket fee, plus other a la cart charges, like use of the replay board)

They are assuming 20,000 people on average too.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:56 AM, Ice_Cap said:

So high rent, no revenue from concessions or parking...

I had no idea Vince outsourced the XFL to the MoviePass people. 

Sure is starting to look like they have no actual clue WTF they're doing. I mean besides starting another spring football league. A league like this is not going to make its bread and butter on TV. 

Personally I think Vince McMahon is just doing all of this to get attention. He is just butthurt his first league ended up being a flop. The AAF has a better structure. If it draws enough interest, I bet they expand to 10 teams in 2020 with one being St. Louis, possibly the other being Oakland.

I was driving outside of Portland, OR last week and saw a car with a NY/NJ Hitmen sticker in the rear windshield. I'm a safe driver so I didn't take a photo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

42 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I was driving outside of Portland, OR last week and saw a car with a NY/NJ Hitmen sticker in the rear windshield. I'm a safe driver so I didn't take a photo.

Did it look like a car that has been around since 2001, or is someone still carrying the torch THAT much?

Just now, Cosmic said:

Did it look like a car that has been around since 2001, or is someone still carrying the torch THAT much?

It's probably used by a school up there. One of the high schools here used one too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived