XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of this conjecture about other cities and "updates" on leagues which never did or never will play is nice and all to illustrate how well you may use Google

(/sarcasm)

In actual news (w/ Oliver Luck quotes too!), XFL rule differences over NCAA and NFL will likely include:

1. Multiple Forward Passes

The XFL’s solution is to redefine the forward pass. Offensive players will be allowed to throw multiple forward passes as long as they don’t travel beyond the line of scrimmage. Once a pass travels beyond the line of scrimmage, all other forward passes will be illegal.

“So I can be in the shotgun, 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage, whip the ball out to the wide receiver, who is just a yard from the line of scrimmage and he can throw it,” Luck said.

A drop of any pass behind the line of scrimmage will be ruled an incomplete pass, not a fumble.

2. Three Point Conversion

After scoring a touchdown, teams will have three options. A conversion on a scrimmage play from the 2-yard line will be worth one point, a conversion from the 5-yard line will be worth two points and a conversion from the 10-yard line will be worth three points.

“The idea really is that we’re trying to take what historically had been a three-score game and make it a two-score game,” Luck said. “Say I’m down 17, I can score a touchdown and get a three-point conversion and have nine points. I’m back in this baby!”

3.The Comeback Period

In the NFL, the game clock stops with two minutes left in the second quarter, two minutes left in the fourth quarter, after an incomplete pass, when a player runs out of bounds or when a team calls a timeout. In the XFL, the clock will stop after every play during the final two minutes of each half.

He calls the final two minutes “The Comeback Period” because we should see a bunch more drives than we’re used to. The goal, of course, is to not only increase the number of games that are decided in the final minutes but also hold the audience’s attention longer, no matter the actual probability of a comeback. After all, late-game comebacks are more rare than we think. Over the past 10 seasons in the NFL, teams that had a lead after three quarters went on to win more than 80 percent of the time.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Without doing a lot of research, I think LV over San Antonio is a no brainer.  For one, LV is building an amazing stadium - not sure San Antonio would or could - and Alamo Dome is kind of a dump.  For two, the San Antonio market size isn't as big as you may think, and my guess just from my few times in Texas is that it would be more like a small-market type team, since most fans in Texas are already spoken for, and I'm not sure "Raider Nation" would have much of an impact there.  While the LV metro area is technically a little bit smaller than SA, it's growing, and on any given day, there's way more people in LV than SA due to tourists.  Most people would love to go to LV to see their team play - it's a great road-trip town - while San Antonio... yeah, not so much.

In terms of Metropolitan area, San Antonio is quite small as compared to the metro areas of Dallas and Houston, both of which are very massive.

53 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

In terms of Metropolitan area, San Antonio is quite small as compared to the metro areas of Dallas and Houston, both of which are very massive.

Yep. Even then, Green Bay is the smallest city with a NFL team. So it doesn't matter if it small, as long as there a good stadium suitable for football (Alamo Dome) and a good following who love the sport (this is Texas after all). I think San Antonio should have a team. I believe the reason why is more due to to the other Texas teams in the NFL. I'm not really a fan of Jerry Jones to be honest despite saving the team and winning Super Bowls in the 1990's. But I do think his ego needs to go away.

San Antonio would probably have a team much sooner if Jerry would just go along with it. Heck, i still believe that he wanted the Raiders in LV so that San Antonio wouldn't compete against his "American Team".  Las Vegas is a cool place, but I think it way too soon to have major sports leagues hoping on the hype train. The Golden Knights is only 2 years old and it should be more of a wait and see if the city can keep a team or not. Also, given how the new stadium in Vegas is causing problems for the city already (https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/stadium/list-of-concerns-keeps-las-vegas-stadium-project-lead-up-at-night-1674042/). It would be a matter of time before the whole LV Raider thing falls on it butt and cost the city the money it needs. 

Even if the city can help the team, how much you wanna bet the team packs up shop to San Antonio or even Oakland? What I am saying is that this is still a giant gamble on the NFL and for the Raiders.  For me, it needed more time and a city like San Antonio would have been a good home for the Raiders, even if it was temporary, it can still be a good test for them.

Now, I should active my VPN setup and be running for the hills. I think Jerry Jones and his hit squad are getting ready to take me out now.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

8 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

Yep. Even then, Green Bay is the smallest city with a NFL team. So it doesn't matter if it small, as long as there a good stadium suitable for football (Alamo Dome) and a good following who love the sport (this is Texas after all). I think San Antonio should have a team. I believe the reason why is more due to to the other Texas teams in the NFL. I'm not really a fan of Jerry Jones to be honest despite saving the team and winning Super Bowls in the 1990's. But I do think his ego needs to go away.

San Antonio would probably have a team much sooner if Jerry would just go along with it. Heck, i still believe that he wanted the Raiders in LV so that San Antonio wouldn't compete against his "American Team".  Las Vegas is a cool place, but I think it way too soon to have major sports leagues hoping on the hype train. The Golden Knights is only 2 years old and it should be more of a wait and see if the city can keep a team or not. Also, given how the new stadium in Vegas is causing problems for the city already (https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/stadium/list-of-concerns-keeps-las-vegas-stadium-project-lead-up-at-night-1674042/). It would be a matter of time before the whole LV Raider thing falls on it butt and cost the city the money it needs. 

Even if the city can help the team, how much you wanna bet the team packs up shop to San Antonio or even Oakland? What I am saying is that this is still a giant gamble on the NFL and for the Raiders.  For me, it needed more time and a city like San Antonio would have been a good home for the Raiders, even if it was temporary, it can still be a good test for them.

Now, I should active my VPN setup and be running for the hills. I think Jerry Jones and his hit squad are getting ready to take me out now.

Zwc2c1i.gif

Which part of this post has to do with the XFL?  This is the XFL thread, not the Realignment one.

The XFL should announce their team logos, nicknames and colors this month.  The last Summer Showcase is on July 13th, so I would expect announcements to be made soon after that Showcase, although they could surprise us and announce it sometime early next week. 

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

All of those are good rules, especially the one about allowing multiple forward passes behind the line of scrimmage.

Other modifications I'd like to see: 

• allow the receiver to have one foot inbounds on a catch
  • eliminate offensive pass interference

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

16 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

All of those are good rules, especially the one about allowing multiple forward passes behind the line of scrimmage.

Other modifications I'd like to see: 

• allow the receiver to have one foot inbounds on a catch
  • eliminate offensive pass interference

Well, contact Oliver Luck for that

The rules shouldn't change during the final x minutes of any quarter in any league.  The rules are the rules - they shouldn't just magically change at an arbitrary point during the game.  I get the NFL wants that extra time out in there to 1) provide a commercial opportunity, and 2) present the final 2 minutes to the viewers as almost like a "segment", but it's really silly.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The rules shouldn't change during the final x minutes of any quarter in any league.  The rules are the rules - they shouldn't just magically change at an arbitrary point during the game.  I get the NFL wants that extra time out in there to 1) provide a commercial opportunity, and 2) present the final 2 minutes to the viewers as almost like a "segment", but it's really silly.  

Tennis rules change for the final set (at least at this year) at Wimbledon compared to the rest of the ATP and WTA Tours.  Nobody wanted to see Isner just hold serve and not try to beat anyone ever again.

But this is a new league, so shouldn't they have their own rules?  Currently, NFHS (High School*), NCAA, CFL and NFL rules all differ, so why not the XFL?

High School football just made a replay rule this season.

And for HS basketball, most states don't have a shot clock since they claim they cannot afford to rewre the courts. Just 8 states has a clock.

NCAA and NFHS soccer rules don't even follow FIFA timing and substitutions and we let it go cause, 'Merica.

*- Massachusetts is attempting to convert to NFHS rules this year, so have Texas the only state whose HS football plays under NCAA rules. 

15 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The XFL should announce their team logos, nicknames and colors this month.  The last Summer Showcase is on July 13th, so I would expect announcements to be made soon after that Showcase, although they could surprise us and announce it sometime early next week. 

Pretty sure we heard July 2019, so they have the month.

21 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Las Vegas is also interested in MLS and MLB. 

Not to drift from XFL talk there was a rumor going around Baltimore that the Angelos family wanted to move the team or sell the Orioles to an owner who was going to move the team to Vegas. The radio station apologized and claimed they made the rumor up. The reason, I had heard was, that they believe the Nationals were stealing their affluent fanbase. 

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/orioles-radio-station-vegas-move-rumor.html

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-relocation-20180622-story.html

7 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

Not to drift from XFL talk there was a rumor going around Baltimore that the Angelos family wanted to move the team or sell the Orioles to an owner who was going to move the team to Vegas. The radio station apologized and claimed they made the rumor up. The reason, I had heard was, that they believe the Nationals were stealing their affluent fanbase. 

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/orioles-radio-station-vegas-move-rumor.html

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-relocation-20180622-story.html

I'm sure the Nationals being decent the last few years compared to the Orioles being garbage has nothing to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived