XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm....

Defensive end Corey Vereen withdrew from the XFL as a member of the Los Angeles Wildcats after being selected in the eighth round, citing the salary as being way lower than initially anticipated, his agency said in a statement Thursday.

Vereen, a former NCAA standout for the Tennessee Volunteers and a player in the Alliance of America Football league this past spring, plans to continue to "pursue his football endeavors," while "working in his career field" of computer science. The 24-year-old received a camp invite with the Arizona Cardinals but was cut before the season began. 

The agency that represents Vereen, Logan Brown Sports, released a statement Thursday claiming that the XFL backpedaled on its initial salary commitment, noting that the base salary was $27,040 with per-game bonuses of $1,685 and weekly win bonuses of $2,222. 

How does anyone know what the players are worth before knowing how much revenue they generate? $30k just seems absurdly low, but what is the right number? Not sure if they’re Union, but maybe negotiate that they get some base and then bonuses equal to a certain % of league revenue. In the unlikely event that the league kills it, they’d obviously be entitled to way more than that salary. In the more likely event that the league loses tons of money, then they’re at least worth some percentage of gross revenue. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you can't afford to pay your workers a living wage, you shouldn't have a business. True for Uber, true for XFL.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Right. 30k is ridiculous. The minimum needs to be much higher - I’m not sure of any area where 30k is enough to live on. Just not sure what the true right number is. If you say the minimum is 60k, which is still pretty stingy, but it turns out they generate higher-than-expected revenue, then there should be something in place that ensures they get a cut of that which would be closer to what they’re worth. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How does anyone know what the players are worth before knowing how much revenue they generate? $30k just seems absurdly low, but what is the right number? Not sure if they’re Union, but maybe negotiate that they get some base and then bonuses equal to a certain % of league revenue. In the unlikely event that the league kills it, they’d obviously be entitled to way more than that salary. In the more likely event that the league loses tons of money, then they’re at least worth some percentage of gross revenue. 

They were just drafted last week.  No chance of a union that soon and Vince could fold the thing if they did.

From the agent's statement, they are already doing the "downside guarantee" which Vince has for his WWE performers. 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

You're going to pay a guy less than $30k/yr and expect him to live in LA?

That ought to be against the Geneva Convention.

Gotta wonder just how full the full medical coverage is.

Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plus 401K were touted from the start. 

34 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Right. 30k is ridiculous. The minimum needs to be much higher - I’m not sure of any area where 30k is enough to live on. Just not sure what the true right number is. If you say the minimum is 60k, which is still pretty stingy, but it turns out they generate higher-than-expected revenue, then there should be something in place that ensures they get a cut of that which would be closer to what they’re worth. 

That’s why they would unionize, if Vince’s league lasts that long.  

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

@GDAWG is right. The CFL's gonna win the Spring Football League battle royale. It already tossed out the AAF after bludgeoning it with a hockey stick.

Of course, there will have to be a pre-show match to determine who represents the CFL in said battle royale. So it would have to be 9 CFL mascots during the match.  Now if one team has two mascots, a game of rock, paper, scissors will have to determine who represents said team. 

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Of course, there will have to be a pre-show match to determine who represents the CFL in said battle royale. So it would have to be 9 CFL mascots during the match.  Now if one team has two mascots, a game of rock, paper, scissors will have to determine who represents said team. 

Edmonton Eskimos have 2 mascots.  I would be more in favour of sending in Nanook rather than Punter.  I'm taking the polar bear over the grimacing, walking football.

https://www.esks.com/mascot_bios/

really want one of these leagues to succeed, because there's more opportunities for players, more games to watch (if they're any good), another path to the NFL for guys, and honestly there's no downside for a fan.  I think it's ridiculous for people to actively root for leagues to fail... strictly from a fan perspective.  That being said, it's possible to root against certain people to succeed, especially if they're harming other people in their efforts.  I don't know what constitutes a 'living wage' (I'm sure tehre's stats), and how you account for the fact that by nature, football is a sport where you don't need to live where you work (at least for most of the year), but figure it out, and make the minimum at least that number, along with some compensation for all the travel.  It does sound like they have a decent benefits package, especially for a league in which they're players are basically part time.  Then once all the accounting is done, figure out a fair cut of the revenue, subtract what's already been allocated to salaries, and figure out how to distribute the rest.  Once the league is a year or two old, it'll become more clear which players are worth more than others, and a more normal salary structure would start to emerge, with the exception that leagues like this should always have reserves on hand to sign "name" players, since they need that.  For example, someone like a Manziel, for as much as I hate him as a person, would attract a lot of attention that might translate into revenue and there should be extra money available to bring him in (within reason).

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

really want one of these leagues to succeed, because there's more opportunities for players, more games to watch (if they're any good), another path to the NFL for guys, and honestly there's no downside for a fan.  I think it's ridiculous for people to actively root for leagues to fail... strictly from a fan perspective.  That being said, it's possible to root against certain people to succeed, especially if they're harming other people in their efforts.  I don't know what constitutes a 'living wage' (I'm sure tehre's stats), and how you account for the fact that by nature, football is a sport where you don't need to live where you work (at least for most of the year), but figure it out, and make the minimum at least that number, along with some compensation for all the travel.  It does sound like they have a decent benefits package, especially for a league in which they're players are basically part time.  Then once all the accounting is done, figure out a fair cut of the revenue, subtract what's already been allocated to salaries, and figure out how to distribute the rest.  Once the league is a year or two old, it'll become more clear which players are worth more than others, and a more normal salary structure would start to emerge, with the exception that leagues like this should always have reserves on hand to sign "name" players, since they need that.  For example, someone like a Manziel, for as much as I hate him as a person, would attract a lot of attention that might translate into revenue and there should be extra money available to bring him in (within reason).

This news doesn't look good for the XFL.

Also my negativity over the XFL has a lot to do with Vince McMahon.  If he allows Oliver Luck to do what he was hired to do, it could do well. 

So one guy pulls out and it’s the end of the league or it’s horrible news.  It’s just one guy. But if we see a mass exodus of these type of better quality players fleeing then Vince may as well shut the whole thing down. I’ll be honest. I’m in disbelief of 27,000K to play a game that brutal on your body. Shame on you Vince!!

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

8 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

So one guy pulls out and it’s the end of the league or it’s horrible news.  It’s just one guy. But if we see a mass exodus of these type of better quality players fleeing then Vince may as well shut the whole thing down. I’ll be honest. I’m in disbelief of 27,000K to play a game that brutal on your body. Shame on you Vince!!

Sadly, every Arena/IFL/NAL/(insert more spare indoor league here) guy will form a line to the left along with the 300+ dudes not drafted last week. 

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Sadly, every Arena/IFL/NAL/(insert more spare indoor league here) guy will form a line to the left along with the 300+ dudes not drafted last week. 

Especially when they'll be getting more here than they will in other leagues. The XFL's still doing win bonuses apparently, but $30,000 is barely staying above water in Houston when you add rent, gas and other expenses. I'm sure folks planned to share space with teammates, but that shouldn't be something they'll be forced to do. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived