XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some spring football updates:

Freedom Football League: Still no money guy announced.  They did post on Facebook teams in the Eastern and Western Divisions as their most recent updates. They keep announcing people involved with the league as well as goals for the league, but no coaches, team logos, team colors, stadium deals or broadcasting.  The former "NFL" players involved were nothing more than special teamers or practice squad guys during their NFL careers. 

American Spring Football League: They sent out this tweet today:

No updates from the American Patriot League or Pac Pro League. 

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Another league?! By this rate everybody will have a football league... So I wonder if I should look into this league as well. Doubt they do anything and probably run away when they find out it not worthwhile. 

So no word on the APL. Not surprised to be honest. 

-edit- On second thought after seeing their Twitter account... 

https://youtu.be/7FPELc1wEvk

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

10 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

Another league?! By this rate everybody will have a football league... So I wonder if I should look into this league as well. Doubt they do anything and probably run away when they find out it not worthwhile. 

ASFL has been a virtual startup league since 2015 at the latest. Michael Dwyer goes as far back as his 2008 attempt, err press release indicating that he was restarting the USFL and battling Jaime Cuadra for the name before Jaime's legal troubles.

Dwyer will likely name Bob Golic with some executive role for an Ohio based team as he's done at least twice before.

http://asflfootball.blogspot.com/2015/03/asfl-bob-golic-joins-asfl.html?m=1

http://www.asfl.biz/aboutasfl.html

20 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

ASFL has been a virtual startup league since 2015 at the latest. Michael Dwyer goes as far back as his 2008 attempt, err press release indicating that he was restarting the USFL and battling Jaime Cuadra for the name before Jaime's legal troubles.

Dwyer will likely name Bob Golic with some executive role for an Ohio based team as he's done at least twice before.

http://asflfootball.blogspot.com/2015/03/asfl-bob-golic-joins-asfl.html?m=1

http://www.asfl.biz/aboutasfl.html

I seen so many accounts with the ASFL name. Even I used it but the "S" standing for simulation since I was using NCAA Football 14. I should look into reviving it someday... 

Point still stands. I want more proof that it is not another proof-of-concept league. 

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Some spring football updates:

Ahhhhhhh, Michael Dwyer. Is he still promising to launch an alternative football league? 

Dwyer first burst on the scene in August of 2008, touting the "New United States Football League". Its inaugural season was going to kick off in February of 2010, with 12 teams playing a 16-game regular season, followed by wild card and divisional playoff rounds. The season would culminate in a league championship at the end of June.

The franchises for the inaugural season were to operate in Alabama, Arkansas, California (two teams), Florida, Louisiana, Michigan, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oregon, and Texas. Plans called for the league to expand to no more than 16 teams in future seasons. 

While each franchise was to have 50% of its ownership stake controlled by a primary proprietor, and 20% held by the league, 30% of the team was to be sold to the public in the form of stock. It was hoped that the stock sales would generate $40 to $50 million in capital to help launch operations

By November of 2009, the league's start had been pushed back to 2011, with a goal of 10 to 12 teams taking the field. If I remember correctly, the league was then said to be eyeing teams in Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Utah.

By 2012, Jamie Cuadra's EndZone Sports Management had acquired the operating rights to the league from Dwyer.

We'll see if Michael Dwyer has any better luck this time around. 

3 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

-edit- On second thought after seeing their Twitter account... 

https://youtu.be/7FPELc1wEvk

They will probably announce Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio although the latter two did really well in the AAF. 

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

They will probably announce Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando and San Antonio although the latter two did really well in the AAF. 

Orlando and San Antonio need a good football teams. They been screwed for far too long with crap alternatives that failed them. Hopefully maybe the XFL 2.0 or NFL can help them. 

4 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

Orlando and San Antonio need a good football teams. They been screwed for far too long with crap alternatives that failed them. Hopefully maybe the XFL 2.0 or NFL can help them. 

Unless one of the Florida teams move, the NFL does not need 4 Florida teams.  And besides, I think the next "we will move here unless we get what we want to" city is probably London. 

10 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Unless one of the Florida teams move, the NFL does not need 4 Florida teams.  And besides, I think the next "we will move here unless we get what we want to" city is probably London. 

*sigh* Sad but true.. Still hate it though. 

17 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

You're right, but how the hell are the logistics going to work with that barring supersonic jets coming back for civilian use?

3 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

You're right, but how the hell are the logistics going to work with that barring supersonic jets coming back for civilian use?

That's probably why we're never getting a London team.  From a logistical standpoint, Mexico City would work but there are significant issues there too.  Canada?  Well the CFL is still around. 

4 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

I was surprised that the Raiders chose Las Vegas over San Antonio.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

16 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

1. I think The NFL wanted to capitalize on the market while it was hot, with Vegas just getting an NHL team. 

2. Jerry Jones will die and even his own ghost will fight to make sure there isn't another football team in Texas. 

On 7/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, AustinFomBoston said:

1. I think The NFL wanted to capitalize on the market while it was hot, with Vegas just getting an NHL team. 

It's hard to know the effect of the arrival of the NHL tean. This could elevate the city's stature, priming it for an NFL team. I agree that this is what the NFL is hoping for.

But it could cut the other way. The work of Neil deMause and Andrew Zimbalist and others has determined there are only so many entertainment dollars to go around; therefore, any money that is spent on a given team means less money spent elsewhere in the entertainment sector. By this analysis, the presence of the NHL team hurts the NFL team by being one more reason not to spend those dollars on the NFL team. 

But perhaps the Raiders, with their national fanbase, are counting less on Las Vegas locals than on tourists, as well as on fans travelling in from L.A. and even Oakland.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

46 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Las Vegas is the sweet spot for the many LA Raider fans that are still here. They will drive to Vegas. They wouldn't drive to San Antonio, which is probably also claimed by Dallas or Houston as a satellite market.

Also the Vegas-Phoenix corridor is fast growing and so it's actually a very big market, much bigger than San Antonio.

Without doing a lot of research, I think LV over San Antonio is a no brainer.  For one, LV is building an amazing stadium - not sure San Antonio would or could - and Alamo Dome is kind of a dump.  For two, the San Antonio market size isn't as big as you may think, and my guess just from my few times in Texas is that it would be more like a small-market type team, since most fans in Texas are already spoken for, and I'm not sure "Raider Nation" would have much of an impact there.  While the LV metro area is technically a little bit smaller than SA, it's growing, and on any given day, there's way more people in LV than SA due to tourists.  Most people would love to go to LV to see their team play - it's a great road-trip town - while San Antonio... yeah, not so much.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived