XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

36 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So he could technically play in the XFL and be available for the NFL draft? That's the question i have since he'd already be a pro if he's playing in the XFL. That seems to be the option the article I read was proposing.

You did not specify which league, so I assumed XFL eligiblity as this is an XFL thread.

FWIW, Robinson graduated HS in 2017. He would've been a true Junior. If he signs with the XFL, he'll become a NFL free agent like those who join the CFL after college.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/11/xfl-tells-agents-that-average-player-salary-will-be-55000/

XFL players will make an average salary of $55,000 a year, the upstart league wrote in a memo distributed to player agents.

The memo states that players who are drafted and retained by XFL teams will become full-time employees as of December 4, 2019, and if they remain on a roster they will remain employed through May 31, 2020. Between the base salary, a bonus for being active on game days and a bonus for being on the winning team, the average player will make $55,000 a year.

That’s a far cry from the NFL league minimum salary of $495,000, but for players who didn’t make an NFL roster it’s not bad — especially considering that the XFL has promised all players they’ll be free to leave for an NFL contract offer any time after the XFL Championship Game on April 25. For some players, playing in the XFL might earn them $55,000 and then earn them an NFL roster spot, if they play well in the XFL and get the attention of NFL personnel evaluators.

The XFL has hinted that it might go after some college stars who haven’t yet met the three-year threshold to enter the NFL draft. Those players, presumably, would be offered more lucrative contracts. But the average player will be making $55,000.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:43 PM, GDAWG said:

So how long do you think the XFL Is going to last?  I am going to say at most a year, although one never knows with Vince McMahon. 

Unlike the AAF shell game, McMahon has plenty of money to burn, so I would be shocked if his ego lets it die without completing at least one full season.  He has to at least go that far.

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Unlike the AAF shell game, McMahon has plenty of money to burn, so I would be shocked if his ego lets it die without completing at least one full season.  He has to at least go that far.

Also, remember the first version Vince had every intention of a second season. But by partnering with NBC meant he had to take over their half and then find a TV partner. UPN and TNN were in favor of a second season but UPN made a power play by demanding Smackdown be shrunk to 90 minutes so they could put one of their other shows as a lead in or after. But Vince refused and decided to just end it. 

Now that it's just his play thing, I expect two years minimum. It would have to be horrifically bad today for live sports broadcasting to not have an audience. It's one of the few things in television to draw live. Even AAF missed the boat and saw more games scheduled for CBS and TNT after the fact. His goal is to build numbers to then demand money on the next go. And that's when he'll decide whether to continue or not. Meanwhile ESPN and fox get cheap programming. 

32 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

I dont get the love with this Perez guy at all.

It all has to do with his backstory, that he didn't play football in high school.  That makes him fascinating.

Also, there was the tantalising glimpse of him in the AAF, in which he started the season strong.  Despite the fact that he eventually tailed off and was even replaced at Birmingham, he remains a player whom people are interested to see, and in whom coaches evidently see some quality.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived