XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think this is when we find out how much power Oliver Luck actually has within the league. McMahon has to know that expecting profit with the first year or even the second is not going to happen without a good bit of luck. As long as we don't see random rule additions like we saw in the first edition of the league I think they can make 3 years easily. But as you mentioned, Vince has to stay out of the day to day stuff and let the right people run it. 

I’m more concerned about him being able to resist the temptation to create artificial narratives.  

This is a guy who made his fortune on staged, scripted, sports-themed television shows.  And the one time he tried to run a real sports league, he responded to low ratings by ginning up, or attempting to gin up, phony made-for-television storylines.  

I don’t trust that he won’t do it again this time, out of desperation or boredom or just plain ego.   But we’ll see. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I’m more concerned about him being able to resist the temptation to create artificial narratives.  

This is a guy who made his fortune on staged, scripted, sports-themed television shows.  And the one time he tried to run a real sports league, he responded to low ratings by ginning up, or attempting to gin up, phony made-for-television storylines.  

I don’t trust that he won’t do it again this time, out of desperation or boredom or just plain ego.   But we’ll see. 

He won't go that route unless ratings and attendance rapidly decline all over the league weekly.  If they rise each week or remain steady he'll do nothing.

We shall see.

If it starts below his expectations, or ratings rise but don’t rise fast enough, I can totally see him getting involved.  It’s what he does, and super-wealthy businessmen often have a hard time not doing what made them super-wealthy businessmen in the first place. 

I think he’ll be actively looking for reasons to get involved.  

50 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Draft Diamonds as a news source, or a source for anything is not good for you GDAWG.  Guy talked about FXFL and AAF positively and DC/Beltway players are featured by him.

That said, Schult is a tweener as much as anybody is.  While he got sacks, he is still too small on the NFL level to obtain and keep a gig.

Here's something...player evaluators think he sucks.

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Draft Diamonds as a news source, or a source for anything is not good for you GDAWG.  Guy talked about FXFL and AAF positively and DC/Beltway players are featured by him.

That said, Schult is a tweener as much as anybody is.  While he got sacks, he is still too small on the NFL level to obtain and keep a gig.

Here's something...player evaluators think he sucks.

And what is wrong with talking about the FXFL and AAF positively?

21 hours ago, dfwabel said:

McAfee pulls a McAfee this morning. 

He’s not wrong about that, though. 

If the XFL is blocking players under contract from signing with NFL, then the XFL is wrong.  They’re a minor league, and shouldn’t be in the position of trying to keep players from moving up.  If anything, they should welcome it. 

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

He’s not wrong about that, though. 

If the XFL is blocking players under contract from signing with NFL, then the XFL is wrong.  They’re a minor league, and shouldn’t be in the position of trying to keep players from moving up.  If anything, they should welcome it. 

McAfee works for WWE as well, but he usually goes against the grain so his comments are not surprising.  The November 1st 2019 edition of WWE Smackdown, he was in a sleeveless t-shirt and basketball shorts doing commentary instead of a suit. He got in trouble for wearing that same outfit during WrestleMania weekend and almost quit WWE as a result. 

The XFL doesn't think that they are minor league but instead a major league for spring football.  They think that the markets that they are in plus the TV contract is the reason that they consider themselves the major league of spring football.  If the XFL believed that they were a minor league, they would have went to Austin, Birmingham, Las Vegas, Louisville, Hartford, Norfolk, Portland and (probably) St. Louis.  Instead they went to Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Tampa, Seattle and New York.  They don't think that they are a minor league, which is why they blocked Josh Johnson.  I think that they are but they don't think that.

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

They don't think that they are a minor league, which is why they blocked Josh Johnson.  I think that they are but they don't think that.

The USFL was entitled to its major-league pretentions because it was paying major-league salaries at the time. As long as the XFL is paying a fraction of the typical NFL salary, it has no justification in blocking its players from moving to the NFL.

From a purely self-interested standpoint, this stance is counterproductive, as the NFL's interest in an XFL player demonstrates the calibre of that player, and reflects well on the XFL. Likewise, a lasting tribute to the legitimacy of the AAF is the fact that approximately one player per team later made NFL rosters or practice squads.

To spin the NFL's signing of an XFL player in a positive way would have been very easy for the XFL to do; it is surprising that that league has bungled this opportunity, and has instead chosen to punish — and alienate — one of its star players.  

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived