XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

Opening day, 2021. The Rock is at midfield, welcoming everyone to the NEW XFL. With him as always is Kevin Hart.

”Ladies and gentlemen, this is a new era of football. And it starts right now, as soon as I sign the contract right here, in front of the Millions...”

<No chance, that’s what you got>

Vince McMahon powerstruts to the 50 yard line. ”Rocky, your ego got the best of you again. Because while you waited for your crowning moment, a check was made out for $15 million. And the name on the check was that of a former WWE Champion. But the name wasn’t Dwayne Johnson. No, no, no. You see, Rock, the name on that check read...VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON!”

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They bought it for $15 million.

McMahon claims he spent $200M of his own money on the league, and now it sells for fifteen.  And since McMahon wasn't the only owner, he'll only be getting $11.5M of that. 

Whoa.  Even if the XFL never plays another down, that's already a hell of a rollercoaster.

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

One of the more surprising things about this is his business partner, Dany Garcia.  That is his ex-wife.  

Not really.  She's also his agent and has been for many years.  As far as I know they get along gangbusters, and that she was even at the Rock's second wedding.

edit - this has more.

https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/news/a27193/dany-garcia-dwayne-johnson-interview/

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 minute ago, CherryMX said:

Not really.  She's also his agent and has been for many years.  As far as I know they get along gangbusters, and that she was even at the Rock's second wedding.

Well, usually if a husband and wife get a divorce, they don't usually get along as great as they have, especially celebrity couples.  That's what I was talking about.  The fact that they get along great even after divorce is rare in Hollywood these days.  

4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Well, usually if a husband and wife get a divorce, they don't usually get along as great as they have, especially celebrity couples.  That's what I was talking about.  The fact that they get along great even after divorce is rare in Hollywood these days.  

I'd say it's rare in life, much less Hollywood.  All the more impressive they've done so well in their professional relationship.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

37 minutes ago, DDR said:

Opening day, 2021. The Rock is at midfield, welcoming everyone to the NEW XFL. With him as always is Kevin Hart.

”Ladies and gentlemen, this is a new era of football. And it starts right now, as soon as I sign the contract right here, in front of the Millions...”

<No chance, that’s what you got>

Vince McMahon powerstruts to the 50 yard line. ”Rocky, your ego got the best of you again. Because while you waited for your crowning moment, a check was made out for $15 million. And the name on the check was that of a former WWE Champion. But the name wasn’t Dwayne Johnson. No, no, no. You see, Rock, the name on that check read...VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON!”

I would laugh at this even more had it been Ric Flair buying the XFL 

I saw, I came, I left.

This is some litigation potentially involved if the Rock and co. sell the XFL back to Vince McMahon once it appears they're ready to be operational again and/or are thriving.  Vince's XFL bankruptcy hearings had some pretty major concerns that Vince was going to do just this, and then poof - he sells to a former employee.

twitter

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

A cautionary tale that I would have put in the AAF thread, but it is locked.

I have "Riddell mini football helmets" as a save search in ebay. AAF helmets that a year ago were listing around $40 are showing up for sale at under $10.  Lesson - if you buy that stuff, sell it while people are still thinking about it.

Or, you know, buy them because you like them and want them. 

I just want the BattleHawks back. If the Rock pulls that off then he really is a demi god. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

1 hour ago, CherryMX said:

This is some litigation potentially involved if the Rock and co. sell the XFL back to Vince McMahon once it appears they're ready to be operational again and/or are thriving.  Vince's XFL bankruptcy hearings had some pretty major concerns that Vince was going to do just this, and then poof - he sells to a former employee.

Is that how this works?  Does Vince still have the power to make that sale?  I thought once it was this far along in the bankruptcy proceedings that it was out of his hands.  Not sure though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is that how this works?  Does Vince still have the power to make that sale?  I thought once it was this far along in the bankruptcy proceedings that it was out of his hands.  Not sure though.

IANAL, so totally in the dark here as well.  I presume the sale would not have been made official if the right wheels had not been greased, and so long as there's no nefarious financial tunnel between new XFL ownership and the WWE (at least not beyond perhaps advertising, etc), you'd think many institutions - namely the NFL's legal team - would be delighted to throw the XFL's existence into purgatory.

twitter

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think today was the bankruptcy auction for the XFL.

1 hour ago, CherryMX said:

he sells to a former employee.

They are not employees they are independent contractors. 

1 minute ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I think today was the bankruptcy auction for the XFL.

They are not employees they are independent contractors. 

True.  Dwayne is still an independent contractor, just not for WWE anymore.  

I'm thrilled by this announcement. It seems that lately, everything the Rock touches turns to gold. At this point, they've got a year to allow the virus to settle down and to make sure that they do it right this time.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived