XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

10 minutes ago, Maroon said:

I mean, it "didn't work out" in that he was fired after 2018 after just two seasons. But he did win his third Grey Cup in Toronto. I know that for the Argos fans a championship comes around at least once a decade anyhow, so maybe just another Grey Cup isn't the end all be all like it would be for a team with less success, but I don't know that I'd ever say a coach's tenure was a failure when he won a championship one out of the two seasons he was there.

A very fair point.

Technically, it worked out. You're right. The Argos won a championship and that's the goal (and to be frank, I was very happy about that because I didn't think that was going to happen).

I didn't really make a long, thought out comment but I feel like because he was hired very late in the 2017 off-season so he basically just got Scott Milanovich's team for 2017. My point here being that he didn't really build the team he just was plugged in to make sure they had a coach. 

The 2018 season was a disaster (and was the first time Tressman ever missed the playoffs as a CFL coach) and it was over. 

I realize that the Ricky Ray years were essentially determined by one factor - if Ray could play.

So maybe it's not fair to say Tressman failed. Maybe it's fair to say he wasn't even given a fair shot. I feel like his Argo's tenure was, at best, not successful even if it was only because the Argos fired him really quickly. 

So...that's what I meant by "it didn't work out" lol. Probably should have elaborated more. My bad. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I made a 32 team XFL with each team having an affiliate. I don’t have names for either Indianapolis or Cincinnati. How’d I do? 

XFL East NFL XFL West NFL
New York Guardians New YorkJets Los Angeles Battlehawks Los Angeles Rams
DC Defenders Washington NFL Houston Roughnecks Houston Texans
Tampa Bay Vipers Tampa Bay Bucaneers Seattle Dragons Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Battlehawks Kansas City Chiefs Dallas Renegades Dallas Cowboys
Boston Americans New England Patriots Santa Clara Miners San Francisco 49ers
Miami Orcas Miami Dolphins Phoenix Rattlesnakes Arizona Cardinals
Buffalo Beavers Buffalo Bills Minneapolis Noresmen Minnesota Vikings
Pittsburgh Cougars Pittsburgh Steelers Chicago Wildfoxes Chicago Bears
Cleveland Generals Cleveland Browns New Orleans Voodoo New Orleans Saints
New York Pilots New York Giants Los Angeles Lightning Los Angeles Chargers
Philadelphia Hawks Philadelphia Eagles Henderson Bandits Las Vegas Raiders
Baltimore Mariners Baltimore Ravens Indianapolis ??? Indianapolis Colts
Charlotte Leapords Carolina Panthers Green Bay Locomotives Green Bay Packers
Jacksonville Bobcats Jacksonville Jaguars Detroit Hotrods Detroit Lions
Nashville Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Denver Bighorns Denver Broncos
Atlanta Pirates Atlanta Falcons Cincinnati ??? Cincinnati 

2 hours ago, Jer15 said:

A very fair point.

Technically, it worked out. You're right. The Argos won a championship and that's the goal (and to be frank, I was very happy about that because I didn't think that was going to happen).

I didn't really make a long, thought out comment but I feel like because he was hired very late in the 2017 off-season so he basically just got Scott Milanovich's team for 2017. My point here being that he didn't really build the team he just was plugged in to make sure they had a coach. 

The 2018 season was a disaster (and was the first time Tressman ever missed the playoffs as a CFL coach) and it was over. 

I realize that the Ricky Ray years were essentially determined by one factor - if Ray could play.

So maybe it's not fair to say Tressman failed. Maybe it's fair to say he wasn't even given a fair shot. I feel like his Argo's tenure was, at best, not successful even if it was only because the Argos fired him really quickly. 

So...that's what I meant by "it didn't work out" lol. Probably should have elaborated more. My bad. 

Totally fair - and I appreciate the elaboration. I'm certainly not a Toronto fan, so your perspective on the matter is much more valid than mine. Plus, I only loosely follow the CFL (casually root for the BC Lions). I just want surprised at the idea that winning a championship can be a disappointment - but when you put it that way, your response makes sense.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

15 minutes ago, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I made a 32 team XFL with each team having an affiliate. I don’t have names for either Indianapolis or Cincinnati. How’d I do? 

A lot of this is great, but I have a few questions and comments:

1. Why would the LA Rams also get to have a team named the Battlehawks? Plus, the XFL already has the Wildcats, which I would assume would be the affiliate of one of the two LA teams.
2. Some of these probably would have good alternative, nearby cities that could be used rather than placing the affiliate in the same city. For example, the Titans could have a Memphis affiliate, Buffalo could live out its dream of extending into the Canadian market by having a Toronto affiliate, Carolina could put an affiliate in Raleigh, Green Bay could put a team in Milwaukee, etc. 
3. Something just strikes me as off there being a team named the "Saints" that then has an affiliate named "Voodoo." I get the why... just seems odd to me.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

12 minutes ago, Maroon said:

A lot of this is great, but I have a few questions and comments:

1. Why would the LA Rams also get to have a team named the Battlehawks? Plus, the XFL already has the Wildcats, which I would assume would be the affiliate of one of the two LA teams.
2. Some of these probably would have good alternative, nearby cities that could be used rather than placing the affiliate in the same city. For example, the Titans could have a Memphis affiliate, Buffalo could live out its dream of extending into the Canadian market by having a Toronto affiliate, Carolina could put an affiliate in Raleigh, Green Bay could put a team in Milwaukee, etc. 
3. Something just strikes me as off there being a team named the "Saints" that then has an affiliate named "Voodoo." I get the why... just seems odd to me.

it would be like if the CFL had two teams named the Rough Rid.....oh wait, they did 30 years ago.

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

it would be like if the CFL had two teams named the Rough Rid.....oh wait, they did 30 years ago.

Roughriders 

Rough Riders.

Come on man. HUGE difference 😋

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I must have copied and pasted incorrectly. It should be the wildcats. 

seocond- I was trying to get as many teams to share stadiums as possible, but this is only a first draft. PM me if you want to help design a thread for these teams. Thanks again for the C&C.  I’ll send the edits back shortly 

57 minutes ago, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

seocond- I was trying to get as many teams to share stadiums as possible, but this is only a first draft. 

That's logical. And considering the actual XFL has been utilizing existing stadiums it makes sense with their business model. 

MZnWkGU.png

On 2/27/2020 at 8:14 AM, Maroon said:

PJ Walker and Ta'amu have been quality QBs for the XFL. Cardale had a dud last week, but he showed some big play ability in his first two games. Josh Johnson hasn't been bad either.

Lamdry Jones will pick it up too, he missed game 1. Hes done decently so far, if he continues in upward trajectory Dallas will win the title! I think theyll beat Houston this weekend

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

week 4

LA beats the NY Gauardians...Whos starting in NY?

St Louis decks Seattle. Are they opening up more seats in StL?

Dallas hands Houston their first lost...This game better draw over 20K and if not there should be cries to relocate to San Antonio. Dallas is a Cowboys town forever and ever.

DC will truck the TB Vipers. Cardale had a bad game last week but he rebounds in a big way! oh attendance will probably hover around 10,000 not a good look with awful uniforms(TB) and empty seats🤢

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

8 hours ago, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

I don't know that a 32 x 32 model is viable. An Arizona Fall League type setup could be interesting, maybe with each division sharing a team and XFL coaches operating independent of NFL team affiliation to avoid biases in playing time (particularly for QB development). 

Yeah, 32 XFL teams isn't going to work. Especially not if you insist on doubling up on markets. LA can probably support the Wildcats, but you're going to kill the market for the league if you ask them to support another team.

Also, the appeal behind the USFL, the WFL, the AAF, and both XFLs is that, even with the CFL, there's a glut of talent with nowhere to play. That there are still quality players that will make a minor league in the spring viable. I believe both the AAF's short stint and the XFL 2.0's run so far have proven that to be true. With that said...I doubt there's enough talent to make 32 XFL teams viable. Honestly? I think 12 is probably the upper limit of what the XFL could field, assuming their growth and popularity stabilize at a self-sustaining levels.

This is the worst part of these things. A few weeks of solid tv and everyone wants expansion. We saw it with the AAF last year, even with the news of their financial problems. The XFL has a more solid financial basis, so of course the expansion rumours will be more intense.

If the XFL were smart (and it appears they will be if Vince can keep himself from meddling) they wouldn't even consider expansion until season three. Then maybe look at adding two teams. And then consider two more in, like, five years if things are going well.

4 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Ready to strike towards 0-4!

I believe the opportunity is there to make the Vipers the Raiders of the XFL. Where fandom is built around shared experiences and community and where winning football games is incidental. 

In this case Vipers fandom is built on shared hatred of Marc Trestman. 

7 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Yeah, 32 XFL teams isn't going to work. Especially not if you insist on doubling up on markets. LA can probably support the Wildcats, but you're going to kill the market for the league if you ask them to support another team.

Also, the appeal behind the USFL, the WFL, the AAF, and both XFLs is that, even with the CFL, there's a glut of talent with nowhere to play. That there are still quality players that will make a minor league in the spring viable. I believe both the AAF's short stint and the XFL 2.0's run so far have proven that to be true. With that said...I doubt there's enough talent to make 32 XFL teams viable. Honestly? I think 12 is probably the upper limit of what the XFL could field, assuming their growth and popularity stabilize at a self-sustaining levels.

This is the worst part of these things. A few weeks of solid tv and everyone wants expansion. We saw it with the AAF last year, even with the news of their financial problems. The XFL has a more solid financial basis, so of course the expansion rumours will be more intense.

If the XFL were smart (and it appears they will be if Vince can keep himself from meddling) they wouldn't even consider expansion until season three. Then maybe look at adding two teams. And then consider two more in, like, five years if things are going well.

I believe the opportunity is there to make the Vipers the Raiders of the XFL. Where fandom is built around shared experiences and community and where winning football games is incidental. 

In this case Vipers fandom is built on shared hatred of Marc Trestman. 

Who’s starting in TB? 

CornDog or A Murray?

Affiliate football can't work.  It's silly to try.  An XFL that all teams could draw from, or a "Team 33" type thing would be better.

The top non-NFL active-roster players are on practice squads, which are essentially a minor league that any team can pull from.  Once you dilute it to 32 teams, you're talking about guys who are not only not NFL ready, but would actually be at risk of getting murdered if they were put on an NFL field.

I think most of us agree that the XFL has been successful through it's first few weeks.  Let's see how this plays out for the rest of this season and next (assuming there's a next) and maybe it gets the NFL's attention and they work out some kind of deal.  Like maybe the Chiefs can fill an injury with the best XFL running back, in exchange for Pat Mahomes appearing on Smackdown and taking a mandible claw.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived