XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Affiliate football can't work.  It's silly to try.  An XFL that all teams could draw from, or a "Team 33" type thing would be better.

The top non-NFL active-roster players are on practice squads, which are essentially a minor league that any team can pull from.  Once you dilute it to 32 teams, you're talking about guys who are not only not NFL ready, but would actually be at risk of getting murdered if they were put on an NFL field.

I think most of us agree that the XFL has been successful through it's first few weeks.  Let's see how this plays out for the rest of this season and next (assuming there's a next) and maybe it gets the NFL's attention and they work out some kind of deal.  Like maybe the Chiefs can fill an injury with the best XFL running back, in exchange for Pat Mahomes appearing on Smackdown and taking a mandible claw.

I think a max 12-16 team league with shared "affiliates" similar to how the G-League came to be, would work. Multiple NFL teams could share one XFL team where they're allotted a certain number of roster spots to send select players (practice squad players and possibly roster players who played less than a certain number of quarters during the season). Maybe 3-5 spots per NFL team with the rest of the XFL roster being non-NFL-team-player-guys.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McCall said:

I think a max 12-16 team league with shared "affiliates" similar to how the G-League came to be, would work. Multiple NFL teams could share one XFL team where they're allotted a certain number of roster spots to send select players (practice squad players and possibly roster players who played less than a certain number of quarters during the season). Maybe 3-5 spots per NFL team with the rest of the XFL roster being non-NFL-team-player-guys.

it would never work, and the teams would never go for it. If I’m Jerry Jones, do I want one of “my guys” being coached by someone outside of my org, or treated by trainers/doctors outside of my org? If he’s banged up, maybe I’d want him to rest so that he’s good in case I need him, but this rogue coach might run him into the ground and get him hurt, while some other team’s guy is sitting there unscathed. 

football is just different. Multiple affiliations won’t work. 

Question - didn’t they try that in one of the incarnations of the World League? If so, did any of those players ever make an impact in the real NFL, or where they just tokens “allocated” by the teams, but not really actually cared about?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Wildcats at Guardians first up for the XFL this weekend.  Attendance will probably be bad.

You can say that again. As good as the St. Louis and Seattle games looked on television, this one is going to look (and sound) just as bad.

On the positive side, the guy who does the Break in the Action Sports channel on YouTube says that Luis Perez is going to start at quarterback. I hope he's right. I really look forward to seeing Perez play. And Perez will be facing the team that traded him, as he had been allocated to L.A. in the initial allocation of quarterbacks.

Another XFL-related YouTube channel (I am sorry that I don't remember which one) speculated that the Guardians' offensive coordinator G.A. Mangus may be on thin ice, and that head coach Kevin Gilbride could soon take over playcalling. Gilbride said at the beginning of the season that he is committed to stepping back from playcalling and to turning that duty over to his coordinator. But the change of quarterback, especially to one who is not very mobile, might necessitate a rethinking of that approach.

We shall see. I am certainly excited for this game, as it's the Guardians' chance to regain some credibility after they have slid to the bottom of most observers' power rankings.

And Perez is a guy who impressed in the AAF and who I was very glad to see acquired by the Guardians before the start of the season. The telecast of this game could be interesting (despite the absence of crowd energy) for the analysis of how Perez handles the offence.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You can say that again. As good as the St. Louis and Seattle games looked on television, this one is going to look (and sound) just as bad.

On the positive side, the guy who does the Back in the Action Sports channel on YouTube says that Luis Perez is going to start at quarterback. I hope he's right. I really look forward to seeing Perez play. And Perez will be facing the team that traded him, as he had been allocated to L.A. in the initial allocation of quarterbacks.

Another XFL-related YouTube channel (I am sorry that I don't remember which one) speculated that the Guardians' offensive coordinator G.A. Mangus may be on thin ice, and that head coach Kevin Gilbride could soon take over playcalling. Gilbride said at the beginning of the season that he is committed to stepping back from playcalling and to turning that duty over to his coordinator. But the change of quarterback, especially to one who is not very mobile, might necessitate a rethinking of that approach.

We shall see. I am certainly excited for this game, as it's the Guardians' chance to regain some credibility after they have slid to the bottom of most observers' power rankings.

And Perez is a guy who impressed in the AAF and who I was very glad to see acquired by the Guardians before the start of the season. The telecast of this game could be interesting (despite the absence of crowd energy) for the analysis of how Perez handles the offence.

New York plays at Met Life, which seats 82,000, so all of their home games are going to look bad.  

4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

New York plays at Met Life, which seats 82,000, so all of their home games are going to look bad.  

That's true.

11 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

14000k would be decent In NY today

I am thinking that they'll get about half that.

A friend of mine told me that he intends to go. He got free tickets to the opener, and enjoyed it. So he says that he plans on buying tickets for himself and his son for this week's game. (Though I am pretty sure that the television experience will be a lot more enjoyable than the in-person experience.)

Game is back on ABC. Speaking of why the game didn't start out on ABC today, it would be the worst luck if coronavirus spreads far and fast enough to kneecap the XFL season this year. 

Obviously that shouldn't be anywhere near someone's top concern, but it is something I thought about.

19 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Game is back on ABC. Speaking of why the game didn't start out on ABC today, it would be the worst luck if coronavirus spreads far and fast enough to kneecap the XFL season this year. 

Obviously that shouldn't be anywhere near someone's top concern, but it is something I thought about.

If the 2020 Summer Olympics are canceled due to that, it's a cause for concern, but right now it should not be.  The IOC has until May to decide that.  

Right now, all of the sports leagues, including the XFL are going about as business as usual.  

Perez is drawing praise from Greg McElroy, who has called him "poised" and "accurate", and has said that he "looks like a pro quarterback".

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The wideshots of the stadium doesn't make it seem like attendance is any good

Right, as expected.

But the microphones must be placed pretty skillfully, because the ambient sound is not as bad as I thought it would be.

On 2/28/2020 at 2:35 PM, heavybass said:

I would pay to watch a team from Buffalo calling themselves the Blue Bulls.

Would you settle for Bulls who happen to be blue?

Dz3HysBX0AAJCiE?format=jpg&name=small

On an XFL-related note, I heard two 50ish employees at the hardware store talking about the records of various XFL teams today. I can safely say that had never happened before with any of the other football minor leagues.

Archived