XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As @FiddySicks mentioned, I was an assistant equipment manager for the Demons.  At the time Pac Bell Park aka The Hell Hole, was always packed.  Good prices, gorgeous ballpark.  Crowd was always jacked up.  We had a game I think it was either against Memphis or Birmingham and it was pouring.  Still loved how we got that place jam packed.  

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Doubtful, wouldnt want to alienate University of Michigan fans by naming the team the same as Michigan State.

I can see something cat like with Detroit, like they did with the Michigan Panthers, 

20 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

San Diego would have been a perfect place for an XFL team. Such a team might have received a welcome as warm as St. Louis's team has gotten.

This might also be a rationale for the league to put an expansion team in Oakland. The Oakland Demons, with the logo and uniforms of the original XFL's San Francisco Demons, could be a big hit.

San Antonio would also be a great expansion location. And it is another case in which the XFL would do well to revive an earlier team's identity. A return of the Commanders would probably be greeted very enthusiastically.

Tampa Bay gave good support to the USFL's Bandits and to the Arena Football League's Storm. So perhaps the attendance for the Vipers will turn around once the early-season bad buzz wears off. Though that team will never fill that stadium — just as the Guardians will never fill the huge Meadowlands stadium.

The Guardians don't need to leave the New York area. Rather, McMahon needs to spend his money more wisely. Instead of paying for the use of the Meadowlands stadium (in effect, paying for bad publicity), he should direct some of that big money towards one of the local colleges, as discussed in earlier pages.

Or else just overwhelm Red Bull with a gigantic offer that will force them to alter their policy of not allowing American football in Red Bull Arena. Everyone has his or her price.

The XFL initially issued a RFP (request for proposals) from cities/venues interested in hosting an inaugural franchise, and specifically solicited certain markets, including St. Louis. Oakland was also approached by the league, but the Coliseum's operators declined, seeing no way that they could host a franchise without disrupting the schedule of their anchor tenant (for now), the A's. Here's a story from the San Jose Mercury News.

That's not to say the league couldn't be pursuing a workaround for Oakland as an expansion  or relocation market. But for the inaugural year, it was a no-go. 

As for any other future markets. San Antonio would seem to be a no-brainer, particularly considering their support for the Alliance franchise. But I'd be surprised to see them add a third Texas market, and I can't see them giving up on Dallas or Houston so soon. 

Much like others have said, San Diego makes perfect sense, and likely would have been a top choice for year one had the Alliance not beaten them to it. It would likely be a success story similar to St. Louis. Outside of San Diego, I don't see many West Coast markets that I think would work for this league. A knee-jerk reaction would be to suggest Portland, but i don't think that market would care, particularly for a league that encroaches on MLS/NWSL seasons.

These spring leagues frequently hit the same second-tier markets: Memphis, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Orlando. I'd be curious to see whether some otherwise overlooked NFL markets might be worth a shot. I think mostly of Minneapolis and Pittsburgh. The USFL had the Maulers in Pittsburgh for one season, but none of these leagues have ever attempted the Twin Cities. Add Cleveland to that list, too.

11 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

The XFL initially issued a RFP (request for proposals) from cities/venues interested in hosting an inaugural franchise, and specifically solicited certain markets, including St. Louis. Oakland was also approached by the league, but the Coliseum's operators declined, seeing no way that they could host a franchise without disrupting the schedule of their anchor tenant (for now), the A's. Here's a story from the San Jose Mercury News.

That's not to say the league couldn't be pursuing a workaround for Oakland as an expansion  or relocation market. But for the inaugural year, it was a no-go. 

As for any other future markets. San Antonio would seem to be a no-brainer, particularly considering their support for the Alliance franchise. But I'd be surprised to see them add a third Texas market, and I can't see them giving up on Dallas or Houston so soon. 

Much like others have said, San Diego makes perfect sense, and likely would have been a top choice for year one had the Alliance not beaten them to it. It would likely be a success story similar to St. Louis. Outside of San Diego, I don't see many West Coast markets that I think would work for this league. A knee-jerk reaction would be to suggest Portland, but i don't think that market would care, particularly for a league that encroaches on MLS/NWSL seasons.

These spring leagues frequently hit the same second-tier markets: Memphis, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Orlando. I'd be curious to see whether some otherwise overlooked NFL markets might be worth a shot. I think mostly of Minneapolis and Pittsburgh. The USFL had the Maulers in Pittsburgh for one season, but none of these leagues have ever attempted the Twin Cities. Add Cleveland to that list, too.

The other option for Oakland would be at Cal, but they had a bad experience hosting a Raiders game in the 70's, so they might be reluctant to house an XFL team.  I do think that if they expand, it will be in the Bay Area, but not Oakland.  Oracle Park did host the Demons, but I am not sure Oliver Luck wants to play in a currently active MLB Stadium, even if that stadium has hosted football before.  Outside of that one MLS game that they host every year, not sure Stanford wants to host an XFL team, but if they want to, that would be an option although it could look bad attendance wise, same goes for Santa Clara. Another option might be Earthquakes Stadium, but the same issues DC United has with Audi Field for the DC Defenders would occur there as well.  San Jose State might have to be the only option for a Bay Area XFL team.  

If the XFL goes to Pittsburgh, I wonder if they would go with a totally different color scheme (like the USFL Maulers) or go with the city colors of black and yellow that we see with the Steelers, Pirates, Riverhounds and Penguins.  

Honestly? Attendance is fine, even if some places aren't blowing us away with numbers. 

TV ratings are fine even with the decline, as the last two weeks levelled off. A million's pretty damn good for a league starting from square one. 

The goal here isn't for the XFL to outpace the AAF (they've already sold more tickets so mission accomplished) or to see who can get the closest to filling out a lower bowl in a NFL stadium. The immediate goals of the XFL should be 1) complete the season and 2) come back for a second year. 

Decent tv numbers, ticket sales (again, outpacing the AAF), and strong financing should make that possible. 

The game here's very simple. 

Unless Corona virus forces them to cancel the rest of the season, the XFL should finish their first year.  I do think that they will be back for a second year.  

The real test of their ratings will be how they do against March Madness.

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Unless Corona virus forces them to cancel the rest of the season, the XFL should finish their first year.  I do think that they will be back for a second year.  

The real test of their ratings will be how they do against March Madness.

I thought about coronavirus, but that is starting to look more and more IMO that the media was bored and wanted ratings more than any imminent threat. Wash your hands, cough in your elbow, carry on. Maybe fistbump instead of shake someone's hand. I don't think coronavirus will spread far or fast enough to cause the entire season to be cancelled. 

12 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I thought about coronavirus, but that is starting to look more and more IMO that the media was bored and wanted ratings more than any imminent threat. Wash your hands, cough in your elbow, carry on. Maybe fistbump instead of shake someone's hand. I don't think coronavirus will spread far or fast enough to cause the entire season to be cancelled. 

This.  All of the sports leagues (XFL included) have been in contact with the CDC, but are also going about as business as usual.  NBA and NHL are getting ready for post-season action, MLB is a few weeks away from the start of their season.  MLS just started their season, NFL Free Agency is starting soon and the XFL has 5 more weeks left until the end of the regular season starting this weekend. 

I think things are fine for the league and if nothing else, finishing this season is their first priority.

Now, if their second season is successful, then you start thinking about expansion.

I have tickets to Seattle's next XFL home game on March 15 against the LA Wildcats.

As some of you may know, the Seattle metro area is ground zero to the coronavirus in the US, and various agencies are encouraging people to stay home and away from crowds.

A lot can change in 10 days and hopefully Seattle is better than worse by then.

But anyway, expect lower crowds for Seattle on 3/15.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Gerald J. Ford Stadium - I keep wanting to read that as Gerald R. Ford, even though that ought to be in Michigan.

Don't fall down the stairs!

Corona virus, I'm sick of hearing about it. It's nothing more than the media using scare tactics for ratings. Supposedly by now we have all died from the swine and bird flu. 

On a XFL note. If Zorn does not start Daniels this week and every other week, everyone in the Seattle area needs to demand the prodigal son's release. The Dragons looked like a completely different team when BJ came in. Silvers sucks, he is still riding off of his one good college game.

5 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Corona virus, I'm sick of hearing about it. It's nothing more than the media using scare tactics for ratings. Supposedly by now we have all died from the swine and bird flu. 

I may be looking at 3 weeks out of work because 10 people have died in my community and there still is no information on how to treat this very transmittable disease.

Sorry you're being inconvenienced.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I may be looking at 3 weeks out of work because 10 people have died in my community and there still is no information on how to treat this very transmittable disease.

Sorry you're being inconvenienced.

How am I "inconvenienced?" I have sympathy for all those families that have lost someone to it. But, the media is feeding on it like they do everything else. I'm sure a lot more people died in Washington State today from car wrecks. Buy, we don't hear about that, nor shut down the highways. ...and we still haven't found a way to cure stupid.

12 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

How am I "inconvenienced?" I have sympathy for all those families that have lost someone to it. But, the media is feeding on it like they do everything else. I'm sure a lot more people died in Washington State today from car wrecks. Buy, we don't hear about that, nor shut down the highways. ...and we still haven't found a way to cure stupid.

It's a cool skill to double down on being an :censored:.

Archived