XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Waiting to see what the official reasoning is and what comes out of the woodwork. There can't be a simple, singular answer to this. 

I think it's because Vince McMahon needs the money now that WWE is hemorrhaging money due to having shows with zero fans.

57 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Waiting to see what the official reasoning is and what comes out of the woodwork. There can't be a simple, singular answer to this. 

I'm wondering if it is as simple as Vince McMahon needs the money he set aside for the XFL to keep WWE solvent during this pandemic.

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6 minutes ago, ddub53 said:

I'm wondering if it is as simple as Vince McMahon needs the money he set aside for the XFL to keep WWE solvent during this pandemic.

Most likely this.  He's lost a lot of money doing empty arena shows. 

3 minutes ago, ddub53 said:

I don’t know if it’s that, because he had the money to blow. When there was actually games being played that is. Feels like he could let this thing rock and roll so long as revenue was coming back in. Gotta spend it to make it, but right now all he is doing is spending and nothing is coming back in return.

I really believed this was going at least three seasons, but with the uncertainty of the country getting back to normal after its subpar handling of things, prepping for 2021 season didn’t make sense. Vince has some dumb luck. The first time he does all the right things and nature no sold his efforts like Hogan.

Sweet, another thread Lukasjacked.

I don't think this has anything to do with WWE, and I'm not sure this means for sure that it's not coming back.  It could be a financial move since they now don't have to pay anyone while the league is shut down, and maybe there's some technicalities that make it better to just 'go out of business' then magically come back right away as XFL 3.0.  Or not.

It could also be that they paid for their TV time up front, and now can't make any ad revenue to offset that, so the year-1 losses were just too much to bear.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

There's probably a very simple answer.

As with any startup, they bore a lot of initial costs, and likely had to hit a certain revenue target to justify keeping the lights on. I doubt they made even half of their projected revenue for the year, so the decision to shut down while difficult emotionally was probably an easy one financially.

6 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

There's probably a very simple answer.

As with any startup, they bore a lot of initial costs, and likely had to hit a certain revenue target to justify keeping the lights on. I doubt they made even half of their projected revenue for the year, so the decision to shut down while difficult emotionally was probably an easy one financially.

It would seem that all the talk of "McMahon has fully funded several years" and "he can afford to take years of losses" was just that, empty talk.

Another start-up league underfunded.

25 minutes ago, JLJ said:

I don’t know if it’s that, because he had the money to blow. When there was actually games being played that is. Feels like he could let this thing rock and roll so long as revenue was coming back in. Gotta spend it to make it, but right now all he is doing is spending and nothing is coming back in return.

I really believed this was going at least three seasons, but with the uncertainty of the country getting back to normal after its subpar handling of things, prepping for 2021 season didn’t make sense. Vince has some dumb luck. The first time he does all the right things and nature no sold his efforts like Hogan.

I felt like the XFL had potential of heading in the right direction.  Two changes I would make would've been to move the Los Angeles team to San Diego and somehow get San Antonio involved.

mizzoufb.jpg

Just now, Gothamite said:

It would seem that all the talk of "McMahon has fully funded several years" and "he can afford to take years of losses" was just that, empty talk.

Another start-up league underfunded.

That's not really fair.  There's no way they or anyone could have predicted that they'd lose 100% of their revenue half way through, despite having already paid 100% of their expenses.

They possibly were funded based on reasonable expectations.  Until we know the truth, it's all speculation, but it's wrong not to consider that given their model of paying for their TV time, they were now losing way more in year 1 than they were budgeted for (even if they were really budgeted for years of losses) without the guarantee that they'd be able to come back in 2021 due to the uncertainty around the NFL and if it might be running through Feb now.

I could site first hand knowledge of very well run and managed local small retail businesses that are likely folding, despite operating for 40 years in one case, because despite very good business continuity and contingency plans, no one was prepared for this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's not really fair.  There's no way they or anyone could have predicted that they'd lose 100% of their revenue half way through, despite having already paid 100% of their expenses.

They possibly were funded based on reasonable expectations.  Until we know the truth, it's all speculation, but it's wrong not to consider that given their model of paying for their TV time, they were now losing way more in year 1 than they were budgeted for (even if they were really budgeted for years of losses) without the guarantee that they'd be able to come back in 2021 due to the uncertainty around the NFL and if it might be running through Feb now.

I could site first hand knowledge of very well run and managed local small retail businesses that are likely folding, despite operating for 40 years in one case, because despite very good business continuity and contingency plans, no one was prepared for this.

Also, colleges have been discussing about possibly playing football in January or February if needed.  If that's the case, then the XFL would be in a tough position in 2021 as well.

mizzoufb.jpg

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yeah, exactly. I think people are painting the XFL 2.0 with way too broad a brush here.

McMahon was likely leveraged to absorb a certain amount of reasonable losses. But to have lost all gate revenue, all merchandise revenue while still paying out all payroll and benefits? That's more than a lot of existing teams might be able to absorb.

This was a one-of-a-kind whirlwind that he couldn't possibly have planned for. Has XFL launched in 2019 or 2021, it would have worked out dramatically different.

3 minutes ago, Bruhammydude said:

Why do we never get fun things in life?

Capitalism.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived