XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

So is it still with Ebersol or Polian? As much fun as it would be to see better looking identities come back, I think they should either keep the XFL teams they have or change them out for something else.

Don’t know - I would have thought Dundon, but he never finalized his takeover before the whole house of cards collapsed. 

The AAF’s bankruptcy case is still pending, so I imagine the names and logos will eventually be sold to pay creditors, if they can find anybody who wants them. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/11/2020 at 9:08 PM, Gothamite said:

Don’t know - I would have thought Dundon, but he never finalized his takeover before the whole house of cards collapsed. 

The AAF’s bankruptcy case is still pending, so I imagine the names and logos will eventually be sold to pay creditors, if they can find anybody who wants them. 

https://instagram.com/stories/xflanalyst/2378754360811678261?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=1xy6vlt8yswqn

So apparently they're considered "abandoned". I'm guessing that means they're treated like the teams suspended operations as opposed to the identities being free game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I would hope the XFL would buy them up and use whatever they wish. AAF fans want to see their teams again.

Why should the XFL spend money on ANOTHER failed league? That makes no sense. 

Your second sentence I understand, but the first is a big no.

It's where I sit.

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Your second sentence I understand, but the first is a big no.

I think they want the XFL to purchase the IP to the teams, letting them be revived in a potential XFL 3.0. I personally disagree, but I think holding on to them wouldn't be an awful idea if expansion was eventually planned.

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 minutes ago, QCS said:

I think they want the XFL to purchase the IP to the teams, letting them be revived in a potential XFL 3.0. I personally disagree, but I think holding on to them wouldn't be an awful idea if expansion was eventually planned.

Explain how that makes financial sense without sounding like a fanboy. I'm not trying to be insulting, but this makes (again) no financial sense.

It's where I sit.

51 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Explain how that makes financial sense without sounding like a fanboy. I'm not trying to be insulting, but this makes (again) no financial sense.

I don't agree with the idea. Maybe the thought process is the AAF fans would be willing to purchase merchandise? 

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 minute ago, QCS said:

I don't agree with the idea. Maybe the thought process is the AAF fans would be willing to purchase merchandise? 

Sorry - my mistake. I missed the switch in who had responded to me 🙂

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Yea, that's what I meant. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

On 8/22/2020 at 4:06 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

The thought process could be that, theoretically, you could have some built in fans from the get go with resurrecting those AAF teams instead of (yet) another brand new team in a market that's been there, done that with failed football leagues before.

2 hours ago, Skycast said:

The thought process could be that, theoretically, you could have some built in fans from the get go with resurrecting those AAF teams instead of (yet) another brand new team in a market that's been there, done that with failed football leagues before.

OK - but I'd be willing to bet that whichever existing fans in former AAF locations would follow their new team regardless of its branding. So sinking money into AAF branding won't really make you any money.

Put another way - if there's a new team not called the San Antonio Commanders, they won't lose fans of the Commanders just because they're called the San Antonio Red Wolves.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

OK - but I'd be willing to bet that whichever existing fans in former AAF locations would follow their new team regardless of its branding. So sinking money into AAF branding won't really make you any money.

Put another way - if there's a new team not called the San Antonio Commanders, they won't lose fans of the Commanders just because they're called the San Antonio Red Wolves.

Don't disagree with you...don't disagree with the other thought process either. Just two different ways of thinking and neither of them wrong.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I can verify this, we'll be happy with a football team that can complete a season. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

34 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Don't disagree with you...don't disagree with the other thought process either. Just two different ways of thinking and neither of them wrong.

But one of them costs less, and that is important for any startup.

It's where I sit.

28 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

But one of them costs less, and that is important for any startup.

True, but spending $15 million dollars on a twice failed league doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Unless of course you are someone like Dwayne Johnson and have that kind of cash to likely just throw around...oh, and perhaps have to throw around to pick up the IP of another failed league.

34 minutes ago, Skycast said:

True, but spending $15 million dollars on a twice failed league doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Unless of course you are someone like Dwayne Johnson and have that kind of cash to likely just throw around...oh, and perhaps have to throw around to pick up the IP of another failed league.

The AAF's IP is currently considered like that of a suspended league. It has protections that don't allow others to simply claim it or start using it. It's not up for sale, and until a judge decides what to do with it, it can't be claimed by another party. $15 million is a bargain but once you have the league that you wanted, why keep adding to it? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The AAF's IP is currently considered like that of a suspended league. It has protections that don't allow others to simply claim it or start using it. It's not up for sale, and until a judge decides what to do with it, it can't be claimed by another party. $15 million is a bargain but once you have the league that you wanted, why keep adding to it? 

Cheese and crackers man...everyone wants to keep debating this point. Go back up, I said I get both sides, I was just offering a different point of view on why someone would purchase the AAF names. Makes no never mind to me on whether it's for sale or not, whether they but it or not or whatever. But c'mon, Dwayne Johnson pretty much has the pocketbook to do whatever he pleases here and IF it was for sale, and IF he wanted to buy he'd do so and it wouldn't be a wrong decision...cost isn't an issue. Might not be the right one, but it's not wrong either.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

I'll bring this quote in regarding buying the AAF names too. I mean why WOULDN'T they spend money on another failed league? After all, they (Johnson and partners) already bought a TWICE FAILED league.

11 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Cheese and crackers man...everyone wants to keep debating this point. Go back up, I said I get both sides, I was just offering a different point of view on why someone would purchase the AAF names. Makes no never mind to me on whether it's for sale or not, whether they but it or not or whatever. But c'mon, Dwayne Johnson pretty much has the pocketbook to do whatever he pleases here and IF it was for sale, and IF he wanted to buy he'd do so and it wouldn't be a wrong decision...cost isn't an issue. Might not be the right one, but it's not wrong either.

I'll bring this quote in regarding buying the AAF names too. I mean why WOULDN'T they spend money on another failed league? After all, they (Johnson and partners) already bought a TWICE FAILED league.

I think you are way over estimating Dwayne Johnson’s net worth, when billionaires aren’t willing to buy these identities why would someone who has somewhere between 150-200 million. It makes no financial sense to even buy a league for about 10% of your net worth and probably have to pump close to another 10% to even restart

Archived