XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

5 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

So that's where the pyro money went.

Shoot not just pyro but the money for unique sets for each PPV, and NXT marketing. If I’m a Roman Reigns I’m telling Vince we all sitting out Raw or Smackdown til we get an extra zero on the check.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

Shoot not just pyro but the money for unique sets for each PPV, and NXT marketing. If I’m a Roman Reigns I’m telling Vince we all sitting out Raw or Smackdown til we get an extra zero on the check.

200.gif

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Vince claims he'll spend $500M in first three seasons. Average salary to be around $75K.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/29/xfl-plans-to-spend-500-million-over-first-three-seasons/

Keep in mind that the 2018 NFL salary cap is $177.2M per team.

Your move now Charlie Ebersol.

This is exactly what I was talking about a few days ago.  If you're telling people you're prepared to burn a half billion dollars over three years if you need to?  You're not in it with a primary motivation being to make money.  You're in it to build something that's going to outlast you.

The only reason the NFL's salary cap is $177.2 million is because television programmers are dumb enough to pay them that much, and then some, for the rights to NFL content.  The networks have done that at a loss for decades, arguably because it helps promote their other programming but more because they learned from NBC in the 90's that they don't want to be an "odd man out."

Thing is that if he's expecting to put $500 million into it over three years, that could put team payrolls at around $12 million a year and keep within budget.  That much will produce a near NFL quality product.  You won't see XFL peel away top veteran quarterbacks for example, but they could probably pull a USFL and grab some Jim Kelly/Steve Young types if they open the wallets.  If nothing else, $12 million a year would buy you an entire CFL team's roster plus an Arena league's roster (in some cases not an Arena team, but the entire league), with about $7 million left to spare.  And that'd be an impressively competitive football product.

From the outset I've had serious curiosity about Charlie Ebersol's funding sources, and while this doesn't "raise the bar" with respect to that curiosity, it emphasizes my contrast between these guys, what they're doing, and how they're going about it.  One's selling sizzle in hope a steak shows up, while the other's fattening up the cow.

nav-logo.png

1 hour ago, Lee Noire said:

Smack Down is moving to Fox, he'll see a few more digits in his check.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, Lee Noire said:

This doesn't make a bit of sense.

As for XFL, is $75k really enough to lure someone to the league that doesn't genuinely think they're auditioning for an NFL team?  And that's just the average - so if there's the "Jim Kellys" or "Steve Youngs" of the world making significantly more, then Average Joe is making less than 75K - so why even play?  What's the incentive, other than putting off real life by a few more years?  You're not going to get p ssy from being on the Birming Ham Fighters, you're not going to build up a 401(k), you're not going to make it to "da league", so what's the point?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

As for XFL, is $75k really enough to lure someone to the league that doesn't genuinely think they're auditioning for an NFL team?  And that's just the average - so if there's the "Jim Kellys" or "Steve Youngs" of the world making significantly more, then Average Joe is making less than 75K - so why even play?  What's the incentive, other than putting off real life by a few more years?  You're not going to get p ssy from being on the Birming Ham Fighters, you're not going to build up a 401(k), you're not going to make it to "da league", so what's the point?

I've heard stories of minor league baseball players having girls in multiple cities. If a bad left handed pitcher for the Montgomery Biscuits can pull it off, then why not a backup lineman for the Birming Ham Fighters?

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That was the same question being asked of the USFL around 35 years ago.  A lot of those 'average' guys did wind up in the NFL.  And the list of guys who would pursue professional football for nothing is a list a few miles long... just ask the American Arena League about that.

nav-logo.png

1 minute ago, Mac the Knife said:

That was the same question being asked of the USFL around 35 years ago.  A lot of those 'average' guys did wind up in the NFL.  And the list of guys who would pursue professional football for nothing is a list a few miles long... just ask the American Arena League about that.

Is the plan for them to be full-time players, meaning no offseason jobs?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

As Mac said, there's literally thousands of dudes who think they can still play professionally and they currently spend $150+ on tryouts for the CFL or indoor leagues, or in extreme cases, play for the Detroit based Rivals "Professional" League and move to Miami for winter season to play with dozens watching and live in a house with 13 other players for a contract which is based on your stats and ability to sell tickets.

$50k (because if $75k is the average, that means there are lower salaries) isn't enough for me to smash my brain to pieces, but I know it's definitely enough for a lot of people. It's also a lot better than the $0 offered by the NCAA.

@dfwabel can probably remind me -- did McMahon announce a restricted age to play in XFL? Because it would be interested to start at 20 years and see what they can get from the amateur ranks.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

33 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

$50k (because if $75k is the average, that means there are lower salaries) isn't enough for me to smash my brain to pieces, but I know it's definitely enough for a lot of people. It's also a lot better than the $0 offered by the NCAA.

@dfwabel can probably remind me -- did McMahon announce a restricted age to play in XFL? Because it would be interested to start at 20 years and see what they can get from the amateur ranks.

They have yet to announce their policy, however if you go see their "application" page, college is one of the first lines.

https://www.xfl.com/careers/index.html?gh_jid=4026769002

Also, Tom Brady's agent, Don Yee still is planning a league for those 18-23 which would start next summer. (FWIW, it was originally to start this summer)

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There are couple hundred more NFL roster spots now than there were in 1983, though. 

And a hundred million more people in the country, too.

• 1 month later...

Archived