XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure what their union would be - they're not "actors", but they're not "athletes".  "Sports Entertainers Association"?

Why not actors? It's not acting in the traditional Hollywood sense but it's still acting nonetheless. They just do more of their own stunts than most actors do.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

Why not actors? It's not acting in the traditional Hollywood sense but it's still acting nonetheless. They just do more of their own stunts than most actors do.

I don't think SAG will allow "pro wrestlers" into their union unless they start doing a few major studio movies or TV.  John Cena, David Batista and Dwayne Johnson fit here.  Not sure if Hulk Hogan or Roddy Piper were ever members of SAG. 

Honestly, the XFL's best chance would be to play straight football and skip all (or at least most) of the over-the-top stuff they started with last time.  Fans know they're not getting NFL quality football, but they're also not being asked to pay NFL prices for it (nor are TV networks when bidding for the rights).

From my personal experience, the game of football itself can be compelling as long as there is some reasonable talent level and the teams are evenly matched.  The USFL didn't play NFL quality football (though it did produce a large number of NFL players), but I loved it because the games were generally competitive.  The same is true of high school football and lower level college football, which have their own followings.

I didn't watch as much of the XFL as I did the USFL (since I was 33 instead of 15-17), but the later games I did see were worth watching.  By that time, they had largely done away with the over-the-top gimmicks.  However, I believe those gimmicks tainted the league from the start.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

19 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I don't think SAG will allow "pro wrestlers" into their union unless they start doing a few major studio movies or TV.  John Cena, David Batista and Dwayne Johnson fit here.  Not sure if Hulk Hogan or Roddy Piper were ever members of SAG. 

Yes, pretty sure that they are/were.  If they weren't when they started, they would have had to join when they accepted their first roles.

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, pretty sure that they are/were.  If they weren't when they started, they would have had to join when they accepted their first roles.

Exactly. They all joined the way most actors do now in taking a role in a SAG/AFTRA project and the producer(s) apply for a waiver for the talent in which they must join within 30 days. They call it being "Taft-Hartleyed", named after the congressional act.

http://www.randyfinch.com/2011/11/hollywoods-1945-strike-rise-of-iatse.html?m=1

On 12/18/2017 at 10:00 AM, DG_Now said:

Beyond current amateur rules, there are two potential markets a new XFL could serve:

One is people who would like to see a safer league with less obtuse rules that provides more power to the players. More like the NBA.

Another is people who like the military and flag stuff, care less about player safety, and say things like "act like you've been there before."

You have to pick one, and by doing so, you alienate the other and existing NFL fans. So @Gothamite is right. The XFL doesn't really have an audience to serve.

However, as a thought experiment, I think it's fun to dream of what a slimmed down, less insane NFL might look like. And there really was a lot about the original XFL to like, including player nicknames, the original Madden cam, bonus careers for guys like Rod Smart and Tommy Maddox, and some pretty fun uniform/helmet designs. And that time they called their title game "The Big Game at the End" before they changed it. The blood n' guts, The Rock, and the sexxxy cheerleader stuff needn't ever come back though (and much of that was rooted out by the end of the season anyway).

I think it could work because 1) almost nobody gives a damn about a safer league and 2) they certainly could combine "less obtuse rules" with hard-core nationalism.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this is that they'd have to take advantage of their fanbase's snowflakey disgust with the "ungrateful" players not standing for the anthem.  Step 1 for the XFL would be to that the contracts say all players must stand for the anthem (at attention with right hand on heart, helmet in left hand, and a bonus if tears run down your cheek).  In the meantime, they can come up with a preferred definition of a catch in about three minutes.  They can consider things like whether to have a change of possession for a fumble out of the end zone, better ways to address the impact of pass interference, and whatever other stuff about the rules needs improvement.

But I honestly think, the way to go is to make it a more straightforward brand of football.  Not having that race to the ball to decide who starts with it, for example.  Straightforward football, but with forced nationalism and maybe even pre-game prayers.

The safety/CTE issue will be a thorn in their side (at the risk of contradicting my first statement).  Ten years ago, the benefits of being seen as "hard-hitting" were clear.  Now it is more difficult.  I don't think player safety would be a good selling point, sadly, but they probably can't overdo the "hard-hitting" angle, either.  While they can (and should) go after the NFL for "not loving America" they can't get a ton of mileage going after it for "wussification."

I tend to agree that the best approach is probably going for a "23 and under" league to compete with the NCAA.  As much as I think a four-year scholarship is better than a marginal salary (depending on what that would be; I have no sense at this point), any player without interest in graduating would have to look into this.  So how well would it do?  It would have a long way to go in overcoming traditions and loyalties.  And while the prevailing attitude here (pay them) is gaining traction, I don't think fans will change allegiances for this political reason (like they would for the flag-based one).

Both the NFL and NCAA have opened some doors.  But even after all of that, I still question whether the tradition that those to entities bring to the table can be overcome.  I've invested a lot of time in my life as a Vikings fan and a Badgers fan.  I'm not going to be very interested in whether the St. Paul Deep Freeze can take down the Omaha Steaks in the X Bowl.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My list of things a new XFL-UFL League could do to be more attractive:

TEAMS & LEAGUE

1) Play in the Spring.  April through June gives you 10 week season and 2 weeks of playoffs (assuming an 8 team league)

2) Play in non-nfl cities with at most one team between mlb/nba/nhl to contend with. Cities like these seem a good option:  Portland, Louisville, Omaha, Columbus, Raleigh, Orlando, Sacramento, San Diego, San Antonio. Tulsa, Memphis, Birmingham, Boise.

3) Don't let McMahon set the mood.  Keep the hyper-masculine "Hitmen", "Maniax" crap away from the league, opting for a tone that stays on the safe side of "XTREME!!!!".

4) Be honest about D-league nature of the league, in the way contracts are written, players are promoted, etc.

5) Keep from the XFL the "winner gets paid more" motivation.

6) Give teams at least 6 weeks of camp/scrimmage before the season starts.  Poor play by teams with no cohesiveness killed the XFL on opening night. 

7) Get legitimate coaches who understand their role to develop talent and build teams with fluid rosters after each season.  Guarantee them at least 3 years to build without fear of firing. 

8) Keep ticket prices low. 

9) Whenever possible play in MLS or smaller college stadiums in the 20-35k range.  Avoid putting teams in huge stadiums where the stands will look empty.  Avoid baseball stadiums too, the seating is always horrible. 

RULES

1) Eliminate all kickoffs.  Home team gets the ball at the 25 to start 1st half, road team 2nd half.  After a TD other team gets the ball at their 25, after a FG at their 30 (to incentivize TD's over FG's)  Cointosses are pointless, why not just have a regular rule about who gets the ball when (like soccer, baseball) and then the kickoff can be eliminated (high injury rate)

2) Eliminate the kneel down play.  Make it a penalty to run a play that does not intend to gain yardage (except the spike to stop the clock).  Force teams to play until the end, giving the defense a chance for a miracle last second play. 

3) Use some college rules, particularly for Pass Interference and possession/down (touch the ground you are down, one foot in bounds is a catch.)

4) Tighten up fumble and completion rules so they are obvious. 

5) replace "cross the plain" with a rugby style "ball must be touched to the ground within the endzone" rule.

6) Allow for more contact between DB and WR/TE, just no grabbing, holding or tackling before the catch.

7) Eliminate the "go for the hit" tackling that so many players, especially Safeties, seem to attempt.  Require that all hits be an attempt to tackle, to wrap up and bring to the ground, not to hit as hard as you can to force a fumble.  Too many injuries come from defensive players trying to clock a receiver instead of trying to wrap them up.

Just a few ideas I would implement in an upstart league.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I think it could work because 1) almost nobody gives a damn about a safer league and 2) they certainly could combine "less obtuse rules" with hard-core nationalism.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this is that they'd have to take advantage of their fanbase's snowflakey disgust with the "ungrateful" players not standing for the anthem.  Step 1 for the XFL would be to that the contracts say all players must stand for the anthem (at attention with right hand on heart, helmet in left hand, and a bonus if tears run down your cheek).  In the meantime, they can come up with a preferred definition of a catch in about three minutes.  They can consider things like whether to have a change of possession for a fumble out of the end zone, better ways to address the impact of pass interference, and whatever other stuff about the rules needs improvement.

But I honestly think, the way to go is to make it a more straightforward brand of football.  Not having that race to the ball to decide who starts with it, for example.  Straightforward football, but with forced nationalism and maybe even pre-game prayers.

The safety/CTE issue will be a thorn in their side (at the risk of contradicting my first statement).  Ten years ago, the benefits of being seen as "hard-hitting" were clear.  Now it is more difficult.  I don't think player safety would be a good selling point, sadly, but they probably can't overdo the "hard-hitting" angle, either.  While they can (and should) go after the NFL for "not loving America" they can't get a ton of mileage going after it for "wussification."

I tend to agree that the best approach is probably going for a "23 and under" league to compete with the NCAA.  As much as I think a four-year scholarship is better than a marginal salary (depending on what that would be; I have no sense at this point), any player without interest in graduating would have to look into this.  So how well would it do?  It would have a long way to go in overcoming traditions and loyalties.  And while the prevailing attitude here (pay them) is gaining traction, I don't think fans will change allegiances for this political reason (like they would for the flag-based one).

Both the NFL and NCAA have opened some doors.  But even after all of that, I still question whether the tradition that those to entities bring to the table can be overcome.  I've invested a lot of time in my life as a Vikings fan and a Badgers fan.  I'm not going to be very interested in whether the St. Paul Deep Freeze can take down the Omaha Steaks in the X Bowl.

I would not watch this league. The last thing we need in this country is more nationalism.  But maybe I am the minority on this.  I applaud Kaepernick for his stand, because I believe the issues he is protesting are real and are being ignored by too many. 

On 12/19/2017 at 3:12 PM, WideRight said:

I would not watch this league. The last thing we need in this country is more nationalism.  But maybe I am the minority on this.  I applaud Kaepernick for his stand, because I believe the issues he is protesting are real and are being ignored by too many. 

I'm with you but I have no doubt that the protests impacted the league this year (though so did other things like people just watching sports less).  The ideal move would be to keep players in the locker room during the anthem (I bet the NFL wishes they'd never changed that).

You had some interesting thoughts

On 12/19/2017 at 3:10 PM, WideRight said:

TEAMS & LEAGUE

1) Play in the Spring.  April through June gives you 10 week season and 2 weeks of playoffs (assuming an 8 team league)

2) Play in non-nfl cities with at most one team between mlb/nba/nhl to contend with. Cities like these seem a good option:  Portland, Louisville, Omaha, Columbus, Raleigh, Orlando, Sacramento, San Diego, San Antonio. Tulsa, Memphis, Birmingham, Boise.

3) Don't let McMahon set the mood.  Keep the hyper-masculine "Hitmen", "Maniax" crap away from the league, opting for a tone that stays on the safe side of "XTREME!!!!".

4) Be honest about D-league nature of the league, in the way contracts are written, players are promoted, etc.

6) Give teams at least 6 weeks of camp/scrimmage before the season starts.  Poor play by teams with no cohesiveness killed the XFL on opening night. 

7) Get legitimate coaches who understand their role to develop talent and build teams with fluid rosters after each season.  Guarantee them at least 3 years to build without fear of firing. 

9) Whenever possible play in MLS or smaller college stadiums in the 20-35k range.  Avoid putting teams in huge stadiums where the stands will look empty.  Avoid baseball stadiums too, the seating is always horrible. 

I think 1-2 make sense.  Don't compete directly with the NFL right away (if ever).  

3. YES.  The XFL did not balcne "fun" and "serious."  Fun's nice for a novelty, but serious is needed for staying power.

9. YES.  While the best seats for football are probably a bit further away, smaller crowds are better-served in a more intimate environment. 

On 12/19/2017 at 3:10 PM, WideRight said:

RULES

1) Eliminate all kickoffs.  Home team gets the ball at the 25 to start 1st half, road team 2nd half.  After a TD other team gets the ball at their 25, after a FG at their 30 (to incentivize TD's over FG's)  Cointosses are pointless, why not just have a regular rule about who gets the ball when (like soccer, baseball) and then the kickoff can be eliminated (high injury rate)

2) Eliminate the kneel down play.  Make it a penalty to run a play that does not intend to gain yardage (except the spike to stop the clock).  Force teams to play until the end, giving the defense a chance for a miracle last second play. 

3) Use some college rules, particularly for Pass Interference and possession/down (touch the ground you are down, one foot in bounds is a catch.)

5) replace "cross the plain" with a rugby style "ball must be touched to the ground within the endzone" rule.

6) Allow for more contact between DB and WR/TE, just no grabbing, holding or tackling before the catch.

7) Eliminate the "go for the hit" tackling that so many players, especially Safeties, seem to attempt.  Require that all hits be an attempt to tackle, to wrap up and bring to the ground, not to hit as hard as you can to force a fumble.  Too many injuries come from defensive players trying to clock a receiver instead of trying to wrap them up.

I'd be happy with eliminating kickoffs from all football right now.  

I also prefer college rules on pass interference because the calls are too arbitrary and it's too easy to gain 40 yards because a pass is underthrown (and I watch plenty of college football and I don't think "intentional" pass interference is a frequent problem).  I also like the college rule better than the NFL "down by contact" rule, which is just another extra judgement that has to be made from time to time (but please stick with NFL hash marks; college hash marks are terrible).

I don't agree with #2 because that would become an arbitrary call...most RB's securing the ball and trying not to fumble, and getting hurt by playing tentatively.

I agree that every player should be wrapping but #7 may be tough to enforce.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

"The first thing I thought of when I saw this is that they'd have to take advantage of their fanbase's snowflakey disgust with the "ungrateful" players not standing for the anthem.  Step 1 for the XFL would be to that the contracts say all players must stand for the anthem (at attention with right hand on heart, helmet in left hand, and a bonus if tears run down your cheek).  In the meantime, they can come up with a preferred definition of a catch in about three minutes.  They can consider things like whether to have a change of possession for a fumble out of the end zone, better ways to address the impact of pass interference, and whatever other stuff about the rules needs improvement."

The Supreme Court ruled years ago that nobody can be made to stand for the anthem, nor can someone be punished for not doing so. Trump is merely advocating violating the law when he talks about the owners "firing" them. First one that does will find himself in court so fast.

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

TEAMS & LEAGUE

Taking these in order.

1-We have seen that since 1985, spring football has zero faction.

2- Using the former cities of failed leagues before doesn't work. They just get burned again. Most of these cities have now turned to minor league baseball or even soccer at those values (see #9).

4- To be "promoted" you must have a NFL or CRL agreement

Good luck.

6-Along with #4, you need to give your salary ranges, but it really doesn't matter as the cost will still be too high.  Six weeks of camp with lodging and per diem w/o a ticket sold immediately digs your hole.

7- Three years coaching deals when you'll struggle to meet payroll? OK.

8-No matter how low the price, no matter the marketing budget, you'll struggle for an audience and proper gate revenue.

9-Why should MiLB add a possible 3rd tenant in addition to lower division soccer or why would a MLS team let a low revenue football team ruin their field during the season? These aren't the Chargers or Argos.

7 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Taking these in order.

1-We have seen that since 1985, spring football has zero faction.

2- Using the former cities of failed leagues before doesn't work. They just get burned again. Most of these cities have now turned to minor league baseball or even soccer at those values (see #9).

4- To be "promoted" you must have a NFL or CRL agreement

Good luck.

6-Along with #4, you need to give your salary ranges, but it really doesn't matter as the cost will still be too high.  Six weeks of camp with lodging and per diem w/o a ticket sold immediately digs your hole.

7- Three years coaching deals when you'll struggle to meet payroll? OK.

8-No matter how low the price, no matter the marketing budget, you'll struggle for an audience and proper gate revenue.

9-Why should MiLB add a possible 3rd tenant in addition to lower division soccer or why would a MLS team let a low revenue football team ruin their field during the season? These aren't the Chargers or Argos.

I think most of the issues you raise are valid, though I disagree that there is no Spring audience for football.  USFL and even UFL attendance hint that there is potential there. 

It all comes down to capital, up front, ready to be spent and lost to get the thing off the ground.  Leagues fail because they inevitably underestimate their losses and are undercapitalized.  You need to be ready to lose tens or hunrdreds of millions of dollars in the first 3-5 years to establish the league.  Basically you need such a deep pool of money to start up that no one in their right mind would try.  But, McMahon is not in his right mind.  But, unlike the first XFL attempt, there is not currently a major network so desperate for sports programming that they would risk this.  You need serious money ($1B perhaps?)  and serious media interest to really get a rival or even a D-league running without NFL buy in. 

1 hour ago, smzimbabwe said:

The Supreme Court ruled years ago that nobody can be made to stand for the anthem, nor can someone be punished for not doing so. Trump is merely advocating violating the law when he talks about the owners "firing" them. First one that does will find himself in court so fast.

There's a difference between what the government can do and what a private employer can do.

6 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

There's a difference between what the government can do and what a private employer can do.

That's how I see it.  Obviously, the government cannot punish players for kneeling, but I think the league can force them (if not now, then by putting it in the contracts) to do it as part of their jobs.  So while the president overstepped his bounds (and some say violated the law) I think the NFL can put this in their contracts.  

We're probably on thin ice on this sub-topic.  So anyway, my take is that about the best way I can see any league winning the hearts of a lot of football fans is to go all in on the flag.

POTD (Shared)

WWE recruits a lot football players so if they don't make it in wrestling they can go to the XFL

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

7 hours ago, WideRight said:

TEAMS & LEAGUE

RULES

Responses:

Teams & League

1) Not sure about this one.  Football is a fall sport, and I don't know if spring outdoor football has ever caught on.  I get that NCAA is on Sat and NFL is on Sunday, and HS is on Friday, but maybe Thursday in the fall?  Players would also want to be used to playing in the fall since they ultimately want to play in the NFL so they'd want to be on the same pattern.

5) why not pay the winning team more?  Wouldn't have to worry about teams just giving up.

Rules

1) this is interesting.  I like rewarding the TD over the FG by adjusting the starting position for the other team.  Not sure I'm ready to see kickoffs go, but if they did, this could work.

2) this is a BAD idea.  If you're promoting safety, then you can't force teams to run unnecessary plays when they could just kneel down.  Also, teams will just work around this by handing it off to a RB who kneels.  Kneeling is a play whether you like it or not, and it's a necessity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/19/2017 at 5:03 PM, OnWis97 said:

That's how I see it.  Obviously, the government cannot punish players for kneeling, but I think the league can force them (if not now, then by putting it in the contracts) to do it as part of their jobs.  So while the president overstepped his bounds (and some say violated the law) I think the NFL can put this in their contracts.  

We're probably on thin ice on this sub-topic.  So anyway, my take is that about the best way I can see any league winning the hearts of a lot of football fans is to go all in on the flag.

IIRC, NBA requires all players to stand for the national anthem. No doubt written into/backed up by the collective bargaining agreement.

It is what it is.

On 12/18/2017 at 10:00 AM, DG_Now said:

more power to the players. More like the NBA.

Will not happen under sworn enemy of unionization Vince McMahon

11 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

IIRC, NBA requires all players to stand for the national anthem. No doubt written into/backed up by the collective bargaining agreement.

They require the players to stand and have threatened to enforce it, but I don't know whether they have yet. They're permissive about everything else, so no one seems to care. I guess the tradeoff is "we'll let you argue among yourselves on Instagram as to whether Mia Khalifa is merely looking like a snack or in fact looking like the whole damn meal, but just give us this much."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This came up with Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (formerly Chris Jackson) in the 1990s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Abdul-Rauf#National_anthem_controversy

POTD (Shared)

From Darren Rovell - ESPN Senior Writer

"Vince McMahon's plan to perhaps try his hand again at a professional football league came more into focus Thursday. McMahon is chairman and CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, which filed details with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission about McMahon's sale of 3.34 million shares of WWE, equaling about $100 million."

Archived