XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The kind of mark they play to.  :P 

I never said that the games were staged, though.  I wondered if he would be tempted to create certain storylines for his league if attention was waning.  Which is certainly plausible, considering that it's his stock in trade.

Don't all current sports leagues do this? "Narratives" drive broadcasts now, and the leagues certainly are okay with that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Don't all current sports leagues do this? "Narratives" drive broadcasts now, and the leagues certainly are okay with that.

There's a difference between trying to play up something that is already there (like the shared history between two coaches), and creating something that isn't (like a bitter rivalry between them).  Not to mention deciding in advance how those narratives will be resolved.

McMahon's stock in trade is spandex soap operas where he scripts the pre-determined narratives to suit his audience's desires.  It doesn't seem all that far-fetched that he'd be tempted to do that in his league in a play for ratings.

False narratives that exist only in the minds of the fans and media are standard sports fare already. This is like worrying about the Khans getting involved in wrestling because you think they might let the fights be real since they own regular sports teams.

A few things that EVEYONE seems to be missing...

@Gothamite @Ferdinand Cesarano

The WWE, hell the pro wrestling business as a whole, hasn’t presented itself as a real sporting competition since the what? Late 80s? Everyone’s in on it now, and no one watches pro wrestling thinking they’re seeing a legit sport. Well maybe young kids, but I don’t even know about that anymore. 

The best way I can describe modern WWE to you guys is straight from that “Wrestling isn’t Wrestling” video Max Landis did; it make no pretence to being “legit,” it’s a tv show about a wrestling show in some weird alternate universe where undead wizards and evil male cheerleaders are things that people just accept as normal. 

So to Vince’s credit? He’s not in the business of staging fixed athletic competition. That would require a willingness to earnestly insist that the shows are legitimte athletic contests, and that hasn’t been the case for a very long time. 

To everyone debating the narrative aspect...the XFL 1.0 tried that. Vince had Jessie Ventura, one of his lead colour commentators, try to start an on-air feud with NY coach Rusty Tillman. Ventura was a loyal soldier for Vince but Tillman just ignored it and the whole thing looked silly. 

So while “narratives” in pro sports is a thing that all leagues bank on for their tv presentation? It has to be organic in some way or it won’t work. The first XFL tried to manufacture narratives and it failed because it won’t work if everyone isn’t on board. 

9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

To everyone debating the narrative aspect...the XFL 1.0 tried that. Vince has Jessie Ventura, one of his lead colour commentators, try to start an on-air feud with NY coach Rusty Tillman. Ventura was a loyal soldier for Vince but Tillman just ignored it and the whole thing looked silly. 

So while “narratives” in pro sports is a thing that all leagues bank on for their tv presentation? It has to be organic in some way or it won’t work. The first XFL tried to manufacture narratives and it failed because it won’t work if everyone isn’t on board. 

The fact that they tried it the first time around lends credence to my concern that they'll try it again.  You're right that it was silly, and would be again.  But that doesn't mean it won't be tried in some new form that he thinks could work.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

and creating something that isn't (like a bitter rivalry between them)

Oh so like how NBC always tries to create some sort of bitter rivalry between the Bruins and Rangers?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

41 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

A few things that EVEYONE seems to be missing...

@Gothamite @Ferdinand Cesarano

The WWE, hell the pro wrestling business as a whole, hasn’t presented itself as a real sporting competition since the what? Late 80s? Everyone’s in on it now, and no one watches pro wrestling thinking they’re seeing a legit sport.

You are correct in everything you said in this comment.  

(But I sure didn't miss that point, because earlier I said that the XFL will not have wrestlers who are acting on a television show, but rather actual football coaches and actual football players playing actual competitive football.)

As far as the "scripting" of narratives, that happens every time an announcer presumes a personal beef after a sack or a dunk or a home run, or when an announcer says "he's gotta feel a sense of satisfaction beating his former team", "he must feel increased pressure playing in his hometown", or anything along those lines.  The announcers on XFL games will no doubt do the same thing; and there will be no reason to link that standard practice to the wholesale scripting that characterises WWE wrestling.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

56 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You are correct in everything you said in this comment.  

(But I sure didn't miss that point, because earlier I said that the XFL will not have wrestlers who are acting on a television show, but rather actual football coaches and actual football players playing actual competitive football.)

As far as the "scripting" of narratives, that happens every time an announcer presumes a personal beef after a sack or a dunk or a home run, or when an announcer says "he's gotta feel a sense of satisfaction beating his former team", "he must feel increased pressure playing in his hometown", or anything along those lines.  The announcers on XFL games will no doubt do the same thing; and there will be no reason to link that standard practice to the wholesale scripting that characterises WWE wrestling.

We'll see. I wouldn't put it past XFL given how they ran last time. You'd think they'd have learned from the first attempt 18 years ago, but their actions so far don't show they've learned much. They're still presenting themselves as a contrarian alternative to the NFL, just as almost every alt league in the last 40 years have done. And it never ends well. You can't poke the bear or it'll Timothy Treadwell your ass. 

1 hour ago, Brass said:

Oh so like how NBC always tries to create some sort of bitter rivalry between the Bruins and Rangers?

Does NBC tell the Bruins or Rangers players or staff how to behave, what to say?

Because if not, your comparison falls apart very quickly.

10 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

Pep Hamilton isn’t the quality of coach I was hoping they would keep poaching. Coordinator sure but not as a HC

Pep is only 44 and there were reports that Luck and Doug Whaley would have both young as well as experienced (aka washed up) names.  While he was making over $1M at Michigan, he just failed upwards and got a raise.

Archived