XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

XFL already a leg up on AAF, all games on networks that most people have easy access to.  When TNT is the best network access you had, and only a few games were there its not a good sign.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

We live in a weird world when Vince McMahon has the sanest and most realistic plan to devise a spring football league since the USFL.

Considering the success of WWE and the ill-conceived nature of most spring football leagues, it's not that crazy.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

The first interesting part is that Vince had some other company negotiate the TV deal. Hopefully that means he won't tinker and try to get overly involved with Production since Fox and ESPN are the ones handling all the costs and such. 

The other brilliant thing is that with the number of games on ESPN (and even FS1) think about on a random Saturday and Sunday during this time a sports bar not having ESPN on to automatically get eyes on it. Its going to get a lot of exposure, even of the ratings are not stupid big. 

2 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

The first interesting part is that Vince had some other company negotiate the TV deal. Hopefully that means he won't tinker and try to get overly involved with Production since Fox and ESPN are the ones handling all the costs and such. 

Vince used CAA last year as well.  It was CAA who negotiated the Smackdown contract at the behest of WME (William Morris/Endeavor) and FOX due to WME's potential conflict of interest with their UFC ownership. 

48 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

The other brilliant thing is that with the number of games on ESPN (and even FS1) think about on a random Saturday and Sunday during this time a sports bar not having ESPN on to automatically get eyes on it. Its going to get a lot of exposure, even of the ratings are not stupid big. 

It has a chance to be better football than the AAF if Vince leaves it alone and allows Oliver Luck to do his thing, like how he allows his son-in-law to control NXT on a daily basis.

Wow.  This is going to set a record for the amount of money lost in a football season.  At least Vinnie actually has it to lose.

They're also AGAIN trying to pitch football to people who will have moved on to the NBA and NHL at that point, leaving their audience to be a few thousand.  The AAF proved how "popular" football is after the SB.  AGAIN, learn from the mistakes of past leagues!!! 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

55 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Wow.  This is going to set a record for the amount of money lost in a football season.  At least Vinnie actually has it to lose.

They're also AGAIN trying to pitch football to people who will have moved on to the NBA and NHL at that point, leaving their audience to be a few thousand.  The AAF proved how "popular" football is after the SB.  AGAIN, learn from the mistakes of past leagues!!! 

You also saw which teams actually went all in on advertising the product and who just expected people to show up. You need to do a little bit to get people in, but you need a lot more to keep bringing new people in. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

And what's the point of multi-year TV contracts with new leagues when they barely last one if that?  TV contracts with a new league should be one year only.  If you're still in business after that, we'll talk.

I'm assuming you didn't read.  The networks are just paying for production and broadcasting costs - not paying a rights fee.  There's no risk, only reward.  If the league goes defunct, then the networks haven't lost anything.

Sorry to break this to you, but Vince McMahon and the Disney/ESPN execs know more about business than you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

42 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Here’s my shocked face that ESPN is a broadcast partner. 😐

ESPN legit ignored the AAF and only ever spoke of them when it was something negative. Not a single score was given on the channel or website.

ESPN froze out XFL the first time around, and that was at a time when ESPN really mattered in setting the national conversation around sports. In my opinion, ESPN's dismissal of XFL 1.0 was a big part of its failure. The worldwide leader didn't take it seriously, so no one else did.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

46 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Here’s my shocked face that ESPN is a broadcast partner. 😐

ESPN legit ignored the AAF and only ever spoke of them when it was something negative. Not a single score was given on the channel or website.

CBS Sports' website barely acknowledged their existence and they were airing games.

Here's something to keep in mind: They already have the broadcasts set up and we're nine months away from the first XFL season starting. Vince will lose a lot of money, but considering how much he has raised, I'm pretty sure he knows this too. This doesn't even seem like him wanting to challenge the NFL, this league is for Vince's ego. And ego is going to keep you doing something longer than rational self-interest ever would. I think the XFL goes for three seasons and anything beyond that is a bonus.

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Here's something to keep in mind: They already have the broadcasts set up and we're nine months away from the first XFL season starting. Vince will lose a lot of money, but considering how much he has raised, I'm pretty sure he knows this too. This doesn't even seem like him wanting to challenge the NFL, this league is for Vince's ego. And ego is going to keep you doing something longer than rational self-interest ever would. I think the XFL goes for three seasons and anything beyond that is a bonus.

Thing about Vince is that not only does he know he'll lose money, but unlike Ebersol or Dundon, Vince can afford to lose the money. 

I also doubt many other leagues are going to spring up like they were rumored to thanks to the AAF being such a colossal failure.

5 hours ago, Wings said:

One thing I can guarantee: Tampa Bay will be playing road games in Weeks 8 & 9 as RJ Stadium is prepared for WM36. 

They might be on the road in Week 7 too as the 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA Tournament will be at Amalie Arena that THU/SAT.

Archived