XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Just watch - the XFL's defenders will explain this defection as a victory for the league.  Look at what our league's coaches are getting from the exposure!

Is it really a loss if a school like Florida State wants to hire you? It's not a win either but I think this is more neutral than anything else. I mean, do you go with the start-up league that is as of now uncertain to have more than one season or do you leap at the opportunity to coach a storied program with a much higher salary? 

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If Florida State believes that Stoops can restore them to their glory days, then they should hire him. Whoever the Renegades hire to replace him would be a downgrade. Stoops was the only reason I was interested in the team. 

If Stoops ever leaves, they'll just promote Hal Mumme since the Renegades will be running his offense anyway.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:50 PM, Gothamite said:

The XFL wants to be in major markets but pay decidedly minor-league wages.  Just try living on $27,000 in metro NYC, or in the Bay Area, or Los Angeles, or Seattle.  Even with roommates, that’s a stretch.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:11 PM, DG_Now said:

Average rent in Seattle is about $2,100. If housing is a third of your income, you need to make $72,000/year. If half, you're at $50k.

At $27,000, you simply can't afford to live here. Not without roommates and, as you said, even that's a stretch.

I was a little excited to see XFL ball, but now I feel like any excitement is complicit in supporting sweatshop wages for entertainment. No thanks.

The rent isn't too damn high; the wages are too damn low.

But then again, there are those in the XFL's camp who think NFL players are somehow "overpaid."

31 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

But then again, there are those in the XFL's camp who think NFL players are somehow "overpaid."

And yet people still keep buying tickets, jerseys and other merch while watching games on TV. Like Zoinks Scoob, total mystery how salaries keep getting higher though.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Despite issues that the NFL has, its still doing very well and the XFL can only dream of making the money the NFL has. The NFL players are paid well and rightfully so. 

On 11/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, GDAWG said:

I hope the people calling XFL games will take the same storytelling approach that the superb AAF announcers on the NFL Network and CBS Sports took.  The AAF broadcasts were very entertaining; I will be expecting no less from the broadcasts of XFL games.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I hope the people calling XFL games will take the same storytelling approach that the superb AAF announcers on the NFL Network and CBS Sports took.  The AAF broadcasts were very entertaining; I will be expecting no less from the broadcasts of XFL games.

All I remember from the AAF broadcasts were repeating basic rules that whoever bothered to find the broadcast already knew. Honestly? I had more enjoyment watching just the game feed on the official AAF website sometimes.

But, I'll certainly give the XFL a try. And I'll go to at least one Battlehawks game whenever I go to St. Louis. I mean to me, football is like pizza. Even if its bad pizza its better than no pizza.

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They'll likely not have the time since the league plans a running clock and a 25 second play clock (AAF was 35). 

Recall, Vince and Luck really want these games to be closer to 2 hours long than 2h30m.

The only thing I specifically remember about the AAF announcers was how they kept yelling at us that they were minor league and that's okay.

I don't listen to Pat McAfee on podcasts or anything, but he was fantastic on WWE Smackdown back when most of their talent got trapped in Saudi Arabia.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:32 AM, buzzcut said:

Bob Stoops is bailing out.

Total tangent on Bob Stoops, but totally sports logo related, so....

I'm currently reading Bob Stoops autobiography, "No Excuses" as my friend who runs a bookstore got me a free advance copy.

What I found interesting was that Stoops was around for (and referenced) two major college helmet logo changes-- at Iowa (as a player) when they went to the "TigerHawk" under Hayden Fry, and at Kansas State (as an assistant coach) when they went to the "Powercat" logo under Bill Snyder.

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

The only thing I specifically remember about the AAF announcers was how they kept yelling at us that they were minor league and that's okay.

I don't listen to Pat McAfee on podcasts or anything, but he was fantastic on WWE Smackdown back when most of their talent got trapped in Saudi Arabia.

I recall during WrestleMania weekend that McAfee said that Michael Cole got upset that he did not dress up and that almost made him quit WWE but Vince McMahon was completely fine with McAfee wearing sweats and a sleeveless t-shirt. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've read a few of the comments regarding the XFL pay, and if I may play devil's advocate:

spacer.png

First, everything I've read and heard is that they will operate like the AAF, meaning that they will house players in their respective cities for the season. So players don't have to worry about paying for their own housing unless they already live there or want to live off site (which no one from the Legends elected to do). I don't see any concern about cost of living no matter where they are as things like housing, food, medical, and transportation are all going to be taken care of.

Second, what is the alternative? Okay so the pay is less than that of the NFL, but if you weren't in the NFL, what would you be doing? What job out there, for most of these guys is going to pay equal or better to the XFL? Let's keep in mind that some of these guys don't have a college degree because they came out early for the NFL and those that do often have "junk" majors that won't allow them to get a decent job out of college. I'm not saying that they can't get a good job, but unless they are banking off their college or pro success, they're not making much money. Just as an example, because he was unfortunately in the news; Charles Rodgers (RIP). The guy went to Michigan State (an AAU school) for two years, went to the league for three, and was last working as a used car dealer in Florida. Someone in his position would have jumped at the chance of the XFL because he didn't have an education and wasn't able to capitalize on his NFL success. Not every ex-NFL or college player can be a commentator for ESPN or FOX. What exactly is waiting for these guys that turn down the XFL that is better right now? I'd like to know what job is worth turning down pro football for.

To me, it would seem that what the XFL is paying is much better than A) not being in the NFL, B) better than what most of the guys are likely making out of the league, and C) better than being unemployed. 

12 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I've read a few of the comments regarding the XFL pay, and if I may play devil's advocate:

spacer.png

First, everything I've read and heard is that they will operate like the AAF, meaning that they will house players in their respective cities for the season. So players don't have to worry about paying for their own housing unless they already live there or want to live off site (which no one from the Legends elected to do). I don't see any concern about cost of living no matter where they are as things like housing, food, medical, and transportation are all going to be taken care of.

Second, what is the alternative? Okay so the pay is less than that of the NFL, but if you weren't in the NFL, what would you be doing? What job out there, for most of these guys is going to pay equal or better to the XFL? Let's keep in mind that some of these guys don't have a college degree because they came out early for the NFL and those that do often have "junk" majors that won't allow them to get a decent job out of college. I'm not saying that they can't get a good job, but unless they are banking off their college or pro success, they're not making much money. Just as an example, because he was unfortunately in the news; Charles Rodgers (RIP). The guy went to Michigan State (an AAU school) for two years, went to the league for three, and was last working as a used car dealer in Florida. Someone in his position would have jumped at the chance of the XFL because he didn't have an education and wasn't able to capitalize on his NFL success. Not every ex-NFL or college player can be a commentator for ESPN or FOX. What exactly is waiting for these guys that turn down the XFL that is better right now? I'd like to know what job is worth turning down pro football for.

To me, it would seem that what the XFL is paying is much better than A) not being in the NFL, B) better than what most of the guys are likely making out of the league, and C) better than being unemployed. 

I think the concern for me in regards to the XFL is how patient Vince McMahon is going to be.  Based on how he runs WWE, he will be extremely impatient and often flies off the handle for no apparent reason.  If ratings and attendance see a rapid decline from week 1 to week 2 and so forth, how patient is he going to be? 

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I think the concern for me in regards to the XFL is how patient Vince McMahon is going to be.  Based on how he runs WWE, he will be extremely impatient and often flies off the handle for no apparent reason.  If ratings and attendance see a rapid decline from week 1 to week 2 and so forth, how patient is he going to be? 

I think this is when we find out how much power Oliver Luck actually has within the league. McMahon has to know that expecting profit with the first year or even the second is not going to happen without a good bit of luck. As long as we don't see random rule additions like we saw in the first edition of the league I think they can make 3 years easily. But as you mentioned, Vince has to stay out of the day to day stuff and let the right people run it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think this is when we find out how much power Oliver Luck actually has within the league. McMahon has to know that expecting profit with the first year or even the second is not going to happen without a good bit of luck. As long as we don't see random rule additions like we saw in the first edition of the league I think they can make 3 years easily. But as you mentioned, Vince has to stay out of the day to day stuff and let the right people run it. 

The XFL can be as successful as NXT if Vince leaves it alone. 

Archived