XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

1 minute ago, Red Comet said:

North Texas has the right capacity but its 40 miles north of Dallas which is even further away from Frisco and there are already accessibility complaints about that. SMU is a good question, though. Maybe the XFL got a great deal on the repurposed baseball stadium?

yeah. I went to North Texas.  It's quite a ways North of Dallas.  

Globe Life Park is across the street from Jerry's Massive Ego (sorry, I mean AT&T Stadium), so easily accessible.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, coogrfan said:

I understand that. My question was why would all of those options say no. I find it hard to believe that all of those schools couldn't use the money. 

TCU is still working on the East Side expansion of Amon Carter Stadium. Work began in June 2018 was supposed to be complete for the start of the 2019 season, but wet weather pushed back the completion date multiple times.  They did not have a Spring Game in 2019, so they likely want to showcase the new suites, loge boxes, and club seats to the donors as opposed to a XFL game.  Plus, remember that they rebuilt Amon Carter in 2011 through just 34 donations and this $100M expansion was paid for with all donor cash as well. 

Average game time:2 hours 56 minutes, so Sunday's games much have been much faster than Saturday.

I found this interesting too.

Meanwhile, the league's efforts to speed up the game were on full display. One of the most visible people on the field was an official wearing a red hat and carrying two extra footballs -- one in a pouch wrapped around the waist -- whose only job was to spot the ball. Their efforts helped the XFL cut time between plays and start a 25-second play clock, which is 15 seconds shorter than the NFL. As a result, XFL games averaged about the same number of offensive plays per game (124) as the NFL (126) despite games that were on average 10 minutes shorter.

5 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

With them pulling a 3.3M on ABC for the DC game, I had a question, does that account for all the bars and restaurants that have the TV's on ABC at the time. I was thinking what bars and restaurants that have TV dont have ESPN  on one of them all the time, that the TV  rating is just a fraction of the eyes actually watching it. 

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

You could easily say the same about anything on TV that gets Neilsen Ratings. What the XFL pulled isn't too bad all things considered and after a relatively good reception and reliable TV broadcasts, that number shouldn't drop by much. 

Of course, like with the AAF, I'll be keeping track of TV ratings for all XFL broadcasts. 

Out-of-home estimates were released this morning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TunityAnalytics/status/1226896971782410245

SEA@DC: 659K with TB@NY not much less. The 5PM kickoffs were much lower.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

XFL bets were 20x the amount of bets the AAF had for its first 2 games.

Obviously putting gambling front and center contributed a lot to it but the promising signs are rolling in. 

I think the AAF app allowed you to do that too. that was about the only part of it that was worth anything. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the AAF app allowed you to do that too. that was about the only part of it that was worth anything. 

AAF app only allowed for bets within the state of Nevada only. MGM didn't have it ready for New Jersey at the time the league folded and the state did not permit AAF betting until Week 5.

Just now, dfwabel said:

AAF app only allowed for bets within the state of Nevada only. MGM didn't have it ready for New Jersey at the time the league folded.

Probably the same for Texas, though they did hype up Draft Kings at the games in the Alamodome. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think Orlando wouldve been a better choice than Tampa, yes Orlando always gets picked when a new league gets developed, but it seems its the league that goes belly up, and the city as always gets the short end of the stick, as always.

1 minute ago, Tygers09 said:

I think Orlando wouldve been a better choice than Tampa, yes Orlando always gets picked when a new league gets developed, but it seems its the league that goes belly up, and the city as always gets the short end of the stick, as always.

I agree, but didn't they name the cities before the AAF went belly up?

IUe6Hvh.png

50 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Probably the same for Texas, though they did hype up Draft Kings at the games in the Alamodome. 

Draft Kings and FanDuel still run daily fantasy for cash winnings in Texas.  That's why all the reminders, err in-game advertising.

44 minutes ago, See Red said:

I agree, but didn't they name the cities before the AAF went belly up?

Yep.  Vince named the eight cities on December 8, 2018

Plus, Orlando didn't have a place for them to play at the time.  AAF was using UCF and Vince will unlikely use Camping World Stadium to spite Camping World's CEO Marcus Lemonis.

3 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Orlando's AAF attendance was always near the top. I'm pretty sure they outdraw every XFL home team from week 1 almost weekly.

I'm happy Tampa got a team, but I have to think Orlando would draw better. Probably look better too if they played at UCF's field like the Apollos. Even if Tampa draws 17,000? It's still going to look bad in Raymond James.

Just now, IceCap said:

Orlando's AAF attendance was always near the top. I'm pretty sure they outdraw every XFL home team from week 1 almost weekly.

I'm happy Tampa got a team, but I have to think Orlando would draw better. Probably look better too if they played at UCF's field like the Apollos. Even if Tampa draws 17,000? It's still going to look bad in Raymond James.

Could be worse, they could be playing in that steaming pile of garbage in St. Petersburg that the baseball team is trying to get out of.  

1 hour ago, Tygers09 said:

Off topic, but didn't St. Petersburg always wanted a baseball team, but now are being highly criticized for that stadium? So who's fault is that?

Having seen a game in the Trop, I can assure you the biggest problem was it had the utilitarian dystopia vibe of the cookie cutter mixed with drab views only a coffin could match. It's just not a nice stadium at all. From day one. But that was the style that was acceptable. Simple, cheap, functional. Nothing more. 

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

I’m still surprised that the only non-NFL market the XFL went with (so far) is St. Louis. Granted, when the 8 XFL markets were announced, the AAF had staked a claim in places like Orlando, San Diego, and San Antonio, but now that that league imploded spectacularly, you would think that there are no restrictions (aside from the municipalities/stewards of said stadiums) keeping the XFL out now.

I also don’t think that Vince is as prone to having a knee-jerk reaction after Year 1 and move the Vipers to Orlando, given that he announced the markets as early as he did.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

That’s one reason why I think it’d be hard for me to care about an XFL team if one came here. There’s no local ties, nothing “binding” them to the community. The league could simply shift them to another market tomorrow. I’m sure there’s stadium leases, but money takes care of every complication. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived