XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/9/2020 at 4:42 PM, Red Comet said:

Yeah, I'm surprised at how involved the crowd seemed to be more than anything. Much more than the AAF outside of San Antonio. 

Eh, never was going to be longer or shorter than a week. I fully expect you to do something similar when the Broncos win another Super Bowl and I wouldn't blame ya at all.

I don't remember doing anything when the Broncos or Cubs won recently, but I was also less active. I'm pretty committed to the wrestling avatar gimmick so that could make it more difficult. I do know that if the Grizzlies ever win I'll just use a Lawler pic. It would have been easy if I were a Chiefs fan with Travis Kelce out there.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:49 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You know how people say a great NCAA team could beat a bad NFL team? Those people are wrong.

However, I might take my chances with LSU against the best XFL team this week. Certainly against the Tampa Vipers.

Earlier in the thread people were saying the XFL was basically the MAC or Sun Belt to the NFL's P5. That is wrong. Because 1. I will not have any of this Sun Belt slander* and 2. It's more like the difference between the P5 and solid FCS schools. Like, not North Dakota State or even James Madison, but more like Central Arkansas or Maine. I guess, my FCS knowledge is very limited. This is only speaking from a talent level, but the XFL seemed reasonably entertaining this weekend.

* I know slander is spoken and libel is written, but Sun Belt slander just sounds good in my head.

StL media is reporting that the attendance for the BattleHawks home opener is expected to be 28,000 as a sell out of the Dome's lower bowl, but that they don't plan on opening the upper bowl even if the game sells out. A "sell out" game in St. Louis would be pretty awesome. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

On 2/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, GDAWG said:

Oakland would have nowhere to play.  If they expand to the Bay Area, it would be probably to Levi's Stadium.  I believe Oakland already said no.  

San Jose might work as they have both Spartan Stadium and Earthquakes Stadium.  I guess they could also go to Oracle Park.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, GDAWG said:

Oakland would have nowhere to play.  If they expand to the Bay Area, it would be probably to Levi's Stadium.  I believe Oakland already said no.  

Oakland, Alameda County, and the Coliseum board gave up their right to schedule it for the majority of the year in their 2014 lease with the Athletics.

If the Coliseum hosts Monster Jam or Supercross, it is late January to mid-February for a reason and it is to get ready for the Athletics.

The Athletics have exclusive rights to the stadium for the "Baseball Seasons, which is defined as:

“Baseball Season” means the period of time during each calendar year in which (i) Licensee plays any Oakland-based pre-season Spring Training and/or other exhibition games and (ii) MLB schedules to be played the MLB Championship Season (i.e., Regular Season Games and Tie-Breaker Games as such terms are commonly understood in MLB) and any MLB “Postseason” (i.e., the Wild Card Games, Division Series Games, League Championship Series Games and the World Series Games, as such terms are commonly understood in MLB) in which the Team participates.

In terms of scheduling, here are the lease terms regarding Scheduling:

5.10.1Notice of Dates. Licensee and Licensor shalleach use best efforts to address all Licensee/Team and Raiders scheduling concerns. Licensor shall provide Licensee all iterations of the planned Raiders schedule (Pre-Season, Regular Season, and possible Post-Season) promptly once received and shall stay in regular contact with Licensee regarding such schedule. Licensee shall provide Licensor all iterations of the Team’s planned schedule (Pre-Season, Regular Season, and possible Post-Season) promptly once received and shall stay in regular contact with Licensor regarding s uc h schedule. If scheduled Home Games are canceled, postponed and/or rescheduled, Licensee shall promptly notify Licensor. Subject to MLB Rules and Regulations, Licensee shall work in good faith with Licensor and the Raiders to attempt to accommodate a football schedule that does not conflict with Licensee Events, including, but not limited to, as provided in Paragraph 5.10.3.

5.10.2.Other Events.Upon Licensor’s prior written consent, Licensee shall have the right upon the later of January 1stof each calendar year or sixty (60) days prior written notice to Licensor to schedule other baseball-related events for the Stadium not described in Paragraph 5.10.1 above (“Other Events”) both during and outside of any Baseball Season. Licensor shall notify Licensee of Licensor’s approval or disapproval of any such scheduled event by the later of January 31stor ten (10) business days after delivery of Licensee’s notice, which notice shall set forth in sufficient detail Licensor’s grounds for its determination. Licensor’s and Licensee’s respective rights and obligations for such events shall be as otherwise provided in this License for Home Games, except that Licensee shall promptly reimburse Licensor upon receipt of a proper invoice for all costs and expenses reasonably incurred by Licensor in connection with the provision of increased security and Maintenance and Repair costs arising as a direct result of any Other Events occurring outside of the Baseball Season (together with copies of reasonable backup verification of such costs including invoices, cancelled checks, or other proof of payment or payment obligation).

5.10.3Exclusive Right to Stadium Use.Licensee shall have the exclusive right to use the Stadium throughout each Baseball Season, but shall use its best efforts to influence MLB to ensure that there are at least two scheduled open weekend dates (i.e.Friday, Saturday, or Sunday) during the NFL pre-season each year for Raiders’ preseason games. Except for scheduled dates of Raiders’ games, which is a use ofthe Stadium for which Licensee must work in good faith to permit and have a reasonable basis for declining during Baseball Season, Licensor may use the Stadium during the Baseball Season only upon Licensee’s prior written approval, which approval Licensoracknowledges may be withheld in Licensee’s absolute discretion for the date of any Licensee Event and for any dates including and between the day before the commencement of and the last day of any of the Team’s homestands. In connection with the development of each baseball and football schedule, Licensor, Licensee and the Raiders will attempt to accommodate the reasonable scheduling requirements of each other and of the respective leagues and will work in good faith to resolve any disputes arising therefrom. The Parties acknowledge that MLB may not allow Licensee to commit to make the two football weekends available in each of August and September non-consecutively, nor, because of playoffs and the World Series, will MLB commit to make any weekend in October available for scheduling of a football game. Subject to all of the above, the Raiders shall have scheduling priority and the absolute right to use the Stadium for its games from the end of Team’s Baseball Season each year through the end of the following January.

5.10.4Protected Dates. Not later than January 15thof each year within the Term, Licensee may designate to Licensor in writing up to five (5) Home Games on which dates Licensor agrees not to schedule any Licensor Event or to permit any Arena Event (other than a Warriors game) unless it (a) concludes at least two (2) hours prior to the scheduled start of a Home Game; or (b) commences at least six (6) hours after the scheduled start of a Home Game.

https://newballpark.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/coliseum_lease-062714.pdf

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Smart that they're not opening the upper bowl. Let demand increase to the point where the atmosphere will be electric even with opening the upper bowl up.

Yep.  St. Louis needs to force the dome to open the upper bowl if the demands are high.  That may not happen until next season, if there is a next season.

On 2/10/2020 at 1:23 PM, dfwabel said:

Average game time:2 hours 56 minutes, so Sunday's games much have been much faster than Saturday.

I found this interesting too.

Even when they hit 2 minutes, the plays didn't feel as rushed as we see in the NFL thanks to the timing rules. There's also a lot more information being passed on to the skill positions than you'd get in a NFL game so I think that slows down snaps as well.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:23 AM, DustDevil61 said:

I’m still surprised that the only non-NFL market the XFL went with (so far) is St. Louis. Granted, when the 8 XFL markets were announced, the AAF had staked a claim in places like Orlando, San Diego, and San Antonio, but now that that league imploded spectacularly, you would think that there are no restrictions (aside from the municipalities/stewards of said stadiums) keeping the XFL out now.

I also don’t think that Vince is as prone to having a knee-jerk reaction after Year 1 and move the Vipers to Orlando, given that he announced the markets as early as he did.

A team would need to draw as badly as Salt Lake did to get moved after one year. Seeing how the XFL made sure that Houston wouldn't have the same issues that Salt Lake did, mainly looking like a high school team playing at the bigger school's field, I think they'll have decent crowds. Better weather than in Utah will help as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

"The Temple?" Do the Jedi reside there? Will a bunch of children be murdered by someone who gets to go to Space Heaven after killing one guy?

It was nicknamed "The Temple" by now-retired sports radio host/station owner, Mike Rhyner, upon walking into the stadium for the first time in 1994 during the exhibition games. 

His original quote was:

This is not just a ballpark. It's a shrine. It's a shrine to the great game. It's a temple.

22 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Hopefully it has a cool name other than “XFL Championship.” The “X-Bowl” is mad corny, but it kinda works for this. I’m also fond of something timeless like “The Classic.”

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I don't want to see the XFL return to Oracle Park.  

The San Francisco Demons averaged more than 35,000 fans a game in that park in 2001, leading the XFL.

Here is a mid-season game, from week 6 against the Hitmen.

The place was just fine for football, even if both teams had to use the same sideline, soccer-style.

As a side note, the broadcast was a good one. It was very professional, without all the wrestling-flavoured nonsense of the early weeks. The Demons' regular quarterback, Arena Football star Mike Pawlawski, was out with an injury; so he joined the announcing team of Craig Minervini and Bob Golic while standing on the sidelines.

Finally, these were the two top looks in the league, with the eventual champion Demons' logo being a design masterpiece, the Hitmen's dignified logo being a welcome use of a letter, and the teams' colours each being beautiful on their own and looking great against one another.

A well-played game between two sharply-dressed teams, played in a full stadium and presented in an entertaining broadcast. A viewer cannot ask for more than that.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The San Francisco Demons averaged more than 35,000 fans a game in that park in 2001, leading the XFL.

Here is a mid-season game, from week 6 against the Hitmen.

The place was just fine for football, even if both teams had to use the same sideline, soccer-style.

As a side note, the broadcast was a good one. It was very professional, without all the wrestling-flavoured nonsense of the early weeks. The Demons' regular quarterback, Arena Football star Mike Pawlawski, was out with an injury; so he joined the announcing team of Craig Minervini and Bob Golic while standing on the sidelines.

Finally, these were the two top looks in the league, with the eventual champion Demons' logo being a design masterpiece, the Hitmen's dignified logo being a welcome use of a letter, and the teams' colours each being beautiful on their own and looking great against one another.

A well-played game between two sharply-dressed teams, played in a full stadium and presented in an entertaining broadcast. A viewer cannot ask for more than that.

Just a quick note, the Xtreme were the champions. Crushing San Francisco in the Million Dollar Game. 

Archived