XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

Just now, Red Wolf said:

The story about him being confused that somebody would watch some comedy film instead of watching Santino skits is

That and he didn't understand why giving Paul Burchill a pirate-themed gimmick might have worked right during the peak popularity of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So one of those press conferences that leaves more questions than answers. Basically "This is 100% going to happen, we just have no clue how"

But at least he isn't rushing this like last time. 

Surprised no one asked about gambling or "Fantasy Football".  

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

1 minute ago, ozzyman314 said:

"Fantasy Football". 

What an apt way to describe this entire venture.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

27 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I kind of wonder how they'll handle concussions and such since they've worked to try and remove those from WWE by banning stupid crap like unprotected head shots. 

I can't believe they're sticking with XTREME Football League. It's like Vince can't get his mind past the 90s. 

It was never Xtreme Football League. The letters XFL had no meaning. 

iq5b7nF.png

Meh. Move along, folks. There's nothing to be seen here. 

The desire of enough football fans to consume a sub-par brand of the sport during the NFL's off-season has been overestimated time and time again. As a result, such ventures don't generate the revenue necessary to adequately pay operational costs, let alone provide a positive return on investment. 

Further, from the looks of things, Vince "Emperor Palpatine" McMahon might not be drawing breath by the time a late January/early February 2002 XFL kick-off takes place.

I'll be shocked if a second incarnation of the XFL ever plays a single down of football.     

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds, especially as they pick markets and stadiums. I hope they don't go the baseball stadium route or stadiums with over 40-50,000+ spectators. I think looking at MLS stadiums as home base would be the smart route.

Just off the top of my head I think the short list would be ...

New York

Los Angeles

Chicago

Philadelphia

Portland

Orlando

San Antonio

Houston

Dallas

Seattle

San Jose

Salt Lake City

Memphis

Even in markets that have a NFL team I think the XFL brand could work well, especially in Seattle, Texas and Philadelphia. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

Well, of course - the XFL is a stupid endeavor that will inevitably fail, but speaking more from a perspective of trying to give them as good a chance as is reaslitic.

Yeah it likely won't last a few seasons, but with competition comes innovation, which will be good to have. I'm kind of surprised Vince would take this financial risk with high probability of failure...but...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, jc... said:

Well the F and L did.  Otherwise why not XPA?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

39 minutes ago, CS85 said:
  • No cities thought of yet, will announce those later.
  • High focus on safety, "as safe as possible," but it will "still be football" - no specific measures.
  • Says he (Vince) will not be out front at all.  Will hire "experts" to handle most of the league top to bottom.
  • Re:  Oversaturation -- "better, faster football", will generate unique demand.
  • "We're gonna go where fans want us to go," but says there's no idea at all where any franchises will go.
  • Is open to using baseball stadiums if the football facilities aren't interested in sharing.
  • No existing TV partners as of yet. 
  • Will look to stream the games online but hasn't narrowed anything down yet.  

So...

No teams announced. 

No idea where they’d go. 

No concrete ideas on what “experts” will run the league nor any idea about what rules will be in place re: player safety. 

No tv partners. 

No idea if the league will stream online or not. 

Did Vince McMahon just hold a press conference to tell us all he has an idea for a football league? 

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see this last 1 or 2 more seasons than the original XFL. 

Vince seems to be giving more thought into this than he did last time. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

3 minutes ago, Raptorman415 said:

The No Fun League vs the eXtremely Fun League. I'm glad to see that the NFL finally has a rival.

Hello. I see you’ve time-travelled from 2001. Let me explain how this went down the first time. 

18 minutes ago, jc... said:

Wait, really? That might be even dumber.

38 minutes ago, CS85 said:

• Everything will be all new, but says there's no restraints.  The XFL is being "reimagined."
  • Manzeil, Tebow, Kaepernick:  "Quality of the human being is important."  Doesn't want players who have criminal backgrounds.  Must "meet our criteria."
  • There will be no WWE/XFL crossover whatsoever.
  • Linda McMahon wasn't involved in the XFL's rebirth at all.
  • The biggest difference between the NFL and XFL will be "what the audience wants."

Based on the NFL thread, I assume that this means Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are banned from the XFL.

5 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Meh. Move along, folks. There's nothing to be seen here. 

The desire of enough football fans to consume a sub-par brand of the sport during the NFL's off-season has been overestimated time and time again. As a result, such ventures don't generate the revenue necessary to adequately pay operational costs, let alone provide a positive return on investment. 

Further, from the looks of things, Vince "Emperor Palpatine" McMahon might not be drawing breath by the time a late January/early February 2002 XFL kick-off takes place.

I'll be shocked if a second incarnation of the XFL ever plays a single down of football.     

THIS

Salaries last time were $5K/game for QBs, $4,500 for other position players and $3,500 for kickers.  Just using the CPI would make it $7,100/$6,300/$5,000 respectively. Hard to get real talent with those salaries.  The average ticket price in 2001 was $25, so he has to go to at least $35-40/seat this time around. 

Last time, the target audience was 18-34 year old males.  That cannot be the target this time around.  He basically has to try again to get those he failed to get in 2001. 

Vince failed to mention ticket prices and I wonder if like last time, players did not receive health insurance, just Worker's Comp.

Archived