ozzyman314

XFL 2020 Season

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Red Comet said:

 

Akshully, its because Tom Dundon didn't want to keep pouring money into a black hole, but yeah. 

 

Remember that Vince McMahon wanted to continue the original XFL for another year. UPN wanting to reduce Smackdown in exchange by half an hour is what convinced him to change his mind. The ratings, attendance issues and football are going to be secondary to Vince's desire to keep funding the league. 

 

But, those previous three factors are certainly going to play into his desire unless through the magic of alien space bats, the XFL starts making money.

Do we know they aren’t?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the 1 point conversion is from the 2 yard line and the 2 point conversion is from the 5 then why would you ever go for one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s the irony - the AAF seemingly presumed that the NHL must have properly vetted its ownership.  🤣

That's a rookie mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dont care said:

Do we know they aren’t?

 

Aren't what? Making money? When a guy is setting aside half a billion dollars for the league to run 3 years, he is planning on losing money. It would be safe to assume unless proven otherwise that they are losing money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

 

Aren't what? Making money? When a guy is setting aside half a billion dollars for the league to run 3 years, he is planning on losing money. It would be safe to assume unless proven otherwise that they are losing money.

Half billion to start the league, and run operations for that time, but there is nothing showing that they are losing money btwn the tv contracts, merchandise, and tickets sold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dont care said:

Half billion to start the league, and run operations for that time, but there is nothing showing that they are losing money btwn the tv contracts, merchandise, and tickets sold.

The XFL receives no rights fees from FOX and ESPN/ABC.  So unless the international right are booming, ain't any income for the balance sheet.

 

Also, Week 3 starts basically a month of just the two Saturday games on broadcast TV and the Sunday games are cable.  The exception is Week 6 when the early Saturday game on ABC is the only game over the air with the other three on cable, with your first FS2 game late Saturday,

Edited by dfwabel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dont care said:

Half billion to start the league, and run operations for that time, but there is nothing showing that they are losing money btwn the tv contracts, merchandise, and tickets sold.

They do have some big sponsors too which is offsetting money lost:

ABInbev

Progressive

(in some areas) McDonalds

Dick’s Sporting Goods

Gatorade.

 

Heck I think 2 weeks in whatever ABI paid is paying off with all those locker rooms Seltzer celebrations.

 

By next year they should gain a jersey sponsor as well as on jersey and helmet sponsors for all teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was discussion today on local radio if the Matt McGloin 'heel turn' wasn't "suggested" by people with the league, and if there may be other subtle ways that they're injecting storylines into the broadcasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, coogrfan said:

 Imo, it's more accurate to describe him as a poor mans Deshaun Watson.

Which is weird because ESPN was going over his touchdown throws and comparing them to both of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There was discussion today on local radio if the Matt McGloin 'heel turn' wasn't "suggested" by people with the league, and if there may be other subtle ways that they're injecting storylines into the broadcasts.

Or McGloin could be a spoiled baby that was whining on national TV. If he's trying to get famous as a heel, he shouldn't be playing QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IceCap said:

That's a rookie mistake. 

Read up on the Islanders nearly being sold to a conman. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Or McGloin could be a spoiled baby that was whining on national TV. If he's trying to get famous as a heel, he shouldn't be playing QB.

 

That's the more likely scenario.  Interviewing guys in the heat of the moment - players, coaches, doesn't matter - is going to lead to these types of things.  That's obviously what the league wants, but I imagine that over time, the coaches / teams will want it to stop. 

 

I really don't get the central ownership model.  Does each "franchise" (are they even called that?) have a say in anything?  Or does the league just do what it feels makes it stronger regardless of any objections by the teams?  Just how "independent" are they in reality?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, regarding used car dealers: former Eagles owner Norman Braman made his fortune as a used-car dealer.  His "claim to fame" is that he was so cheap that he's single-handedly responsible for NFL free agency, as his own players, lead by Keith Jackson and Reggie White sued because he wasn't offering them fair market contracts (because there wasn't a fair market.)  He liked to vacation in the south of France (why not just say "southern France"?) and head coach Buddy Ryan would publically trash him every chance he got, repeatedly answering questions with "I don't know, why don't you go ask that guy over in France?".

 

Car dealers, whether new or used, are in the same category as ticket scalpers as being the least respectable and least trustworthy people on the planet (if there were two doors, with one leading to certain death and one leading to a room full of gorgeous asian women waiting to please me in every way, and there was a car dealer in front of one door, and an ISIS member in front of the other, each trying to convince me that their door lead to the women, I'd trust the ISIS member - even if he was holding in laughter while promising my safety.

 

In conclusion, car dealers are trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Read up on the Islanders nearly being sold to a conman. 

 

 

 

Oh I'm well aware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, coogrfan said:

 Imo, it's more accurate to describe him as a poor mans Deshaun Watson.

 

So there will be a game where his team leads 24-0 only to lose 51-7?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

 

Bit early for my liking but Philadelphia would make a good home for an XFL team. I would have them play at Lincoln Financial Field then the other two stadiums. though, why couldn't they use the Talen Energy Stadium? 

 

Does ask the question a bit early, where are they gonna place a team next. Personally wish San Diego will be next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

why couldn't they use the Talen Energy Stadium? 

 

While smaller parks are generally good, a significant problem with that particular park is its remoteness. Even still, that might be the best choice.

 

4 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

Personally wish San Diego will be next.

 

I am hoping for San Antonio. It would be great if the Commanders' identity could somehow be revived. But, with the league having two teams in Texas already, maybe that would work against considering San Antonio so soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

Bit early for my liking but Philadelphia would make a good home for an XFL team. I would have them play at Lincoln Financial Field then the other two stadiums. though, why couldn't they use the Talen Energy Stadium? 

 

Does ask the question a bit early, where are they gonna place a team next. Personally wish San Diego will be next.

 

It's in a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE location - inaccessible to mass transit, which rules me completely out as a fan.  I haven't been to a Union game because I try to drive as infrequently as possible, and it's so bad from a transit standpoint that the only way to go without driving yourself is to jump on a bus trip that's organized by any of the soccer-themed bars.  Even if you drive, once you park, you take a shuttle bus to the park.  And above all that, it's in a very dangerous city (Chester, PA).  

 

That stadium is a result of complete corruption, and could not have possibly have been built in a worse spot.

 

Had Temple gotten their proposed on-campus stadium, that might have made the most sense, but CBP might work out (I guess the seating would resemble the Winter classic?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

It's in a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE location - inaccessible to mass transit, which rules me completely out as a fan.  I haven't been to a Union game because I try to drive as infrequently as possible, and it's so bad from a transit standpoint that the only way to go without driving yourself is to jump on a bus trip that's organized by any of the soccer-themed bars.  Even if you drive, once you park, you take a shuttle bus to the park.  And above all that, it's in a very dangerous city (Chester, PA).  

 

That stadium is a result of complete corruption, and could not have possibly have been built in a worse spot.

 

Had Temple gotten their proposed on-campus stadium, that might have made the most sense, but CBP might work out (I guess the seating would resemble the Winter classic?)

Fair enough. I heard some horror stories about the stadium location and the city being pretty bad.

I just thought it would be better since it was smaller and smaller venues would be better the XFL for right now. So question, what about the other stadiums? I don't live in Philadelphia so idk about Franklin Field or the others.. What would be the best stadium for Philly XFL team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.