XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

8 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

Was the Pinstripe Bowl the one that they could not set up a proper field, so anytime a team had the ball they always changed sides so they played toward the side that had a full endzone. 

That was Wrigley Field. It worked better as a football field when you could put the goalposts on the goal line rather than the back of the end zone.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the funniest tweet I have read all day:

Most top tier CFL free agents have already either signed with new teams in the CFL or re-signed with their current teams.  A few others have signed futures deals with the NFL.  That tweet is nonsense.  

38 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

That was Wrigley Field. It worked better as a football field when you could put the goalposts on the goal line rather than the back of the end zone.

The issue was the one end zone was right up against the back wall and was a hazard for plays at the back of the end zone. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/sports/ncaafootball/20wrigley.html

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/18/xfl-ratings-dip-on-abc-in-week-two/

According to Jake Russell of the Washington Post, the Week Two ABC games drew an average audience of 2.127 million on Saturday (New York Guardians at D.C. Defenders) and an average audience of 2.397 million on Sunday (Dallas Renegades at L.A. Wildcats).

Last Saturday’s XFL debut on ABC, featuring the Seattle Dragons at the Defenders, generated 3.3 million average viewers. The reduction from one Saturday to the next at the same starting time (2:00 p.m. ET) amounts to 1.173 million. That equates to a slippage of 35.5 percent.

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Most top tier CFL free agents have already either signed with new teams in the CFL or re-signed with their current teams.  A few others have signed futures deals with the NFL.  That tweet is nonsense.  

Two CFL players, receiver SJ Green and OL Derek Dennis, have signed with the XFL, Green to the waiver wire (which is a thing that can happen I guess?) and Dennis to Team 9. Neither of those players I would consider top players anymore. Father Time has come for Green and Dennis had a couple really good seasons but then fell off the radar.

However, I believe both have indicated they are still planning to return to the CFL for the next season and are using the XFL season as some more game tape/a couple more paycheques. Dennis even said on Twitter the move to the XFL was because of a lack of interest from CFL teams, or at least a lack of interest in handing out the money he wanted.

I still think the XFL has a loooonnnggg, long way to go before coming close to the CFL as the #2 professional football league and I don't know if it ever will.

IbjBaeE.png

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

This is really funny because if this is from an executive of the XFL, it is plain and simple embarrassing for the league.  CFL free agency started Feb 11.  Why would the XFL wait a week to start looking at CFL free agents?  The big ones have signed.  I'll stay tuned for more chuckles Captain XFL.

9 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Villanova is actually fine from a mass transit point of view. There are two rail lines that run through campus.  Unfortunately, the stadium only seats 12,500, though perhaps temporary seats could be added in the west end (top of the picture).

spacer.png  spacer.png

Franklin Field would be great  It's a shame that it might not be available (though it seems like Penn is still using it in the meantime).

Yeah, Villanova is fine from a transit standpoint, but the facility itself is not professional ready - even minor-league professional.

Franklin Field is also out due to the renovation.  It's being worked in phases so that it can still be used for the Penn Relays and football, but large sections would be closed, and even if it wasn't under renovation, it would not be a pleasant experience, as I don't think the upper levels even have a concourse / toilets. Could be wrong though - been a while since I've been inside as a spectator.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, Skycast said:

I'd love to see a Colorado team, while the weather here this time of year can be cold and snowy you're also just as likely to get 40's-50's with sunshine which is quite comfortable.

Forget Mile High (or whatever it's currently called)...

Dick's Sporting Goods Park - 18,000

Folsom Field - 53,000 (on the CU campus and may be a bit big)

Sonny Lubick Field - 36,500 (CSU's stadium, a good middle ground capacity wise but Ft. Collins may be a bit too far north from Denver but could draw from Wyoming as well)

I could see Denver as one of the top expansion priorities if the XFL can keep going.

I can also see the Wildcats either going to SD or Oakland. There were a lot of empty seats in that game against Dallas, and a home opener at that.

Might be biased, but I still think Cincinnati or Columbus would make a good spot. Either Nippert Stadium or Mapfre.

34 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Maybe they will change their minds. I can see the XFL stepping into places where the NFL was or a place with a current joke.

It is up to the Athletics more than the Coliseum Board or the municipalities who compose it.

1 hour ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Maybe they will change their minds. I can see the XFL stepping into places where the NFL was or a place with a current joke. 

Cincinnati and Detroit would be a perfect fit. 

It'd be cool to use Paul Brown Stadium more than 10 times a year or our new MLS stadium more than 20 times a year. I don't know if I'd go to any Cincinnati Sentinels* games. But I really do think the Bengals are not that far away from being a hot ticket again. 

*To fit in with the Guardians, Defenders, and whatever a Battlehawk is. Plus, alliteration on S sounds always sounds cool. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

It'd be cool to use Paul Brown Stadium more than 10 times a year or our new MLS stadium more than 20 times a year. I don't know if I'd go to any Cincinnati Sentinels* games. But I really do think the Bengals are not that far away from being a hot ticket again. 

*To fit in with the Guardians, Defenders, and whatever a Battlehawk is. Plus, alliteration on S sounds always sounds cool. 

Especially if Joey Burrow wants to play there, which I think he would.  

SeatGeek Stadium would be a good fit in terms of stadium size and a venue that could use the events, but the Chicago market is not a good idea at all for minor league football.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Considering everything and general football fatigue, this is hardly a disaster. Especially considering that none of these networks are paying a dime in rights fees. If ratings stabilize even around 1.5 million or so over the regular season (including cable), I'd call it a win. 

EDIT: For comparison purposes here are ratings for the rest of the sporting events on TV this past week

EDIT 2: And here is what happened during week 2 of the original XFL back in 2001

FWIW, there is definite buzz in Seattle. I had happy hour with a friend last night who is decidedly not a sports fan. She asked me what the XFL is, if Seattle has a team, and why everyone at her office is talking about it.

Seattle shows up for sports in general, but I get the sense people are really attracted to the fun of it all. And the cool uniforms. And I think they're going to have a real hit on their hands once more people learn about the choose your adventure extra point system.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived