XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, JLJ said:

Well that’s cool. It is the Pro Football HOF and not the NFL HOF after all.

For those still wondering why they didn’t choose the typical alt league cities like the AAF:

Kinda like comparing apples to cats.  Football is by far the US's favorite sport.  AAF's first week on CBS was a bigger number than the NBA too.

Had the AAF had a consistent broadcast network along with consistent air times, who knows what the Nielsen number would have been.  We know the attendance in Orlando and San Antonio still would have been good on TV.  Whether they were good in the box office receipts is still another story as at least 5K of the initial Commanders game were "donated" by Red McCombs and the local grocer, HEB and Vettix was given seats to the other games in the partial season.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Kinda like comparing apples to cats.  Football is by far the US's favorite sport.  AAF's first week on CBS was a bigger number than the NBA too.

Had the AAF had a consistent broadcast network along with consistent air times, who knows what the Nielsen number would have been.  We know the attendance in Orlando and San Antonio still would have been good on TV.  Whether they were good in the box office receipts is still another story as at least 5K of the initial Commanders game were "donated" by Red McCombs and the local grocer, HEB and Vettix was given seats to the other games in the partial season.

Sure, then the AAF fell off a cliff in week 2.  These number suggest the XFL might avoid that fate, for a little while anyway. 

It’s possible the Alliance might have had better viewership with that consistency, but they didn’t. I’m not going to punish the XFL for taking their time, and getting that consistency with the broadcast networks.

9 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I think the big thing for this week would be the attendance numbers for Tampa Bay and St. Louis. Anything in the 20-30 thousand range would be perfect for the league.

St. Louis has already confirmed that 28,000 people will be there. As they're closing off the upper level and dimming the lights, that counts as a sellout there. Tampa Bay? If its above 10-15,000, I'll be very surprised. 

I agree, I think Tampa is going to be the final test to see if this can work out. So far though, 6 are looking strong, LA could use improvement. 

According to XFLNewsHub, the city of Birmingham is already talking with the XFL and pushing for a team in 2021. Another fun fact, the state of Ohio has been boasting high TV ratings. Probably because college is over and the two NFL teams are a joke. Would love to see Cincinnati get a team, but realistically I'd say the XFL would choose Columbus. Would make more sense having the whole state involved.

I think the smart move would be to see if the league can make it through the third year Vince has planned to take losses through, and then talk expansion. There might be more money at play by then as well if the networks decided to do a deal.

10 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I think the big thing for this week would be the attendance numbers for Tampa Bay and St. Louis. Anything in the 20-30 thousand range would be perfect for the league.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

St. Louis has already confirmed that 28,000 people will be there. As they're closing off the upper level and dimming the lights, that counts as a sellout there. Tampa Bay? If its above 10-15,000, I'll be very surprised. 

Doesn't help that the Yankees first Spring Training game is Saturday across the street.

11 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Doesn't help that the Yankees first Spring Training game is Saturday across the street.

Not only that, but the first pitch is an hour before the Vipers home opener begins. So yeah, maybe I should adjust that down to 8,000-12,000 or so.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:03 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

FWIW, there is definite buzz in Seattle. I had happy hour with a friend last night who is decidedly not a sports fan. She asked me what the XFL is, if Seattle has a team, and why everyone at her office is talking about it.

Seattle shows up for sports in general, but I get the sense people are really attracted to the fun of it all. And the cool uniforms. And I think they're going to have a real hit on their hands once more people learn about the choose your adventure extra point system.

12 hours ago, JLJ said:

Well that’s cool. It is the Pro Football HOF and not the NFL HOF after all.

For those still wondering why they didn’t choose the typical alt league cities like the AAF:

I think the right move all along may have been going into cities with NFL teams instead of the usual minor league haunts (Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, San Antonio) because then the people who are priced out of the NFL games by the prohibitively expensive cost and those who don't want to take a kid to an NFL game have a more cost friendly and family friendly football option. I never went to a Seahawks game when I lived in Seattle because they never played the Bengals while I was there, first, but also I didn't feel like spending my rent money on a single ticket. 

Plus, people in Memphis and Birmingham are not going to want to get burned again by another untrustworthy minor football league so you'd already start off with very warranted skepticism if you opened up in those markets. They just did it a year ago and this would've been their second time through the XFL. Poor Birmingham had a team in every minor league going back to the WFL before XFL 2. They were in the AAF, XFL 1.0, CFL, WLAF, USFL, and WFL. Memphis was in all of them, but somehow avoided WLAF. After a while people just aren't going to do it again. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

41 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Not only that, but the first pitch is an hour before the Vipers home opener begins. So yeah, maybe I should adjust that down to 8,000-12,000 or so.

It's also "fair season" around Tampa Bay. The Florida State Fair, which is in Tampa, just ended midweek, the Pasco County fair is ongoing and the Plant City Strawberry Festival/Hillsborough County Fair starts on the 27th.

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I think the right move all along may have been going into cities with NFL teams instead of the usual minor league haunts (Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, San Antonio) because then the people who are priced out of the NFL games by the prohibitively expensive cost and those who don't want to take a kid to an NFL game have a more cost friendly and family friendly football option. I never went to a Seahawks game when I lived in Seattle because they never played the Bengals while I was there, first, but also I didn't feel like spending my rent money on a single ticket. 

Plus, people in Memphis and Birmingham are not going to want to get burned again by another untrustworthy minor football league so you'd already start off with very warranted skepticism if you opened up in those markets. They just did it a year ago and this would've been their second time through the XFL. Poor Birmingham had a team in every minor league going back to the WFL before XFL 2. They were in the AAF, XFL 1.0, CFL, WLAF, USFL, and WFL. Memphis was in all of them, but somehow avoided WLAF. After a while people just aren't going to do it again. 

I agree. After the NFL Bengals games I've been to, I'll never take my kids there. Plus like you said, I'm not paying the prices. Plus, after all the political BS I'll never follow the NFL again. I don't want politics in my sports. They are supposed to be fun, not a sideshow.

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

If for some reason we do get expansion, Mapfre would be perfect for an Ohio XFL team.

Especially since the Crew would leave Mapfre halfway through next season or in 2022. The only hiccup would be if the Crew can't find a new training base by then. They've been extorted by some of the people at Obetz. 

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Plus, people in Memphis and Birmingham are not going to want to get burned again by another untrustworthy minor football league so you'd already start off with very warranted skepticism if you opened up in those markets. They just did it a year ago and this would've been their second time through the XFL. Poor Birmingham had a team in every minor league going back to the WFL before XFL 2. 

I think it depends on if people have that itch that needs to be scratched. In San Antonio, we know we'll never have a realistic chance at a NFL team, so if the XFL brought in a team you'll still see 25,000 show up to watch XFL football. Birmingham, Memphis and Orlando are in the same boat which is why you tend to see better attendance there too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

You’ve got a point here, though I’m still a little surprised that there hasn’t been more of a push to put teams in the other former NFL markets. I don’t think San Diego has been officially mentioned as a future location for an XFL team yet.

(Well, I do, given that the AAF beat them there first, but we all know what happened there.)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

3 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

You’ve got a point here, though I’m still a little surprised that there hasn’t been more of a push to put teams in the other former NFL markets. I don’t think San Diego has been officially mentioned as a future location for an XFL team yet.

(Well, I do, given that the AAF beat them there first, but we all know what happened there.)

They should've put the Wildcats in San Diego.

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Especially since the Crew would leave Mapfre halfway through next season or in 2022. The only hiccup would be if the Crew can't find a new training base by then. They've been extorted by some of the people at Obetz. 

I think it depends on if people have that itch that needs to be scratched. In San Antonio, we know we'll never have a realistic chance at a NFL team, so if the XFL brought in a team you'll still see 25,000 show up to watch XFL football. Birmingham, Memphis and Orlando are in the same boat which is why you tend to see better attendance there too. 

If the XFL lasts long enough, I like the idea of Columbus for a catch-all Ohio team of sorts.

San Antonio should also be a good place to put a team, given how well they supported the AAF’s Commanders, but it’s a matter of time as well IMO.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived