ozzyman314

XFL 2020 Season

I'll be at the Vipers' home opener with the bf. We had a great time at an Apollos game last year so hopefully this is just as fun. 

I'm prepared to see them get curbstomped. 

Go Roughnecks!  I love the Oiler looking logo on the helmets.

4 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

They should've put the Wildcats in San Diego.

They should have put the Wildcats in San Diego and the Tampa Vipers in Orlando or another minor league city like San Antonio.  But because of the TV deals they need LA and NY involved.  The Guardians would be better playing at Red Bull Arena.  

On 2/18/2020 at 12:42 AM, Matthew24 said:

Bit early for my liking but Philadelphia would make a good home for an XFL team. I would have them play at Lincoln Financial Field then the other two stadiums. though, why couldn't they use the Talen Energy Stadium? 

Does ask the question a bit early, where are they gonna place a team next. Personally wish San Diego will be next.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wildcats moved to San Diego along with moving the Vipers to Orlando or San Antonio.  I think those would be better markets for the XFL than LA and Tampa.  Philly is a good option but I wonder why Chicago has not been thought of for the XFL? 

33 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I'll be at the Vipers' home opening with the bf. We had a great time at an Apollos game last year so hopefully this is just as fun. 

I remember hearing that the Vipers are leading the league in yardage while being last in points, which cannot be easy to do.  (Unfortunately I cannot confirm whether this is still true because I can't find team stats; the league site has only individual leaders.)  So it would seem that the team is not very far from being able to hang with the best.

45 minutes ago, beachperroAZ said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wildcats moved to San Diego along with moving the Vipers to Orlando or San Antonio.  I think those would be better markets for the XFL than LA and Tampa.  Philly is a good option but I wonder why Chicago has not been thought of for the XFL? 

Chicago's history of supporting alternative football isn't good.  The WFL, USFL and XFL 1.0 have all tried Chicago and have failed miserably there.  There is only one pro football team they care about and the last thing they need is even more mediocre QB play in a secondary football league when their NFL team already has mediocre QB play.  Chicago has one Mitch Trubisky, they don't need three more in the XFL.  

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I'll be at the Vipers' home opening with the bf. We had a great time at an Apollos game last year so hopefully this is just as fun. 

If the Vipers come out with two field goals that will be an accomplishment.

The Vipers are starting to grow on me though. They very well could be that Ohio XFL team I'm waiting for.

Evidently only Houston and D.C. have local radio. So I will be listening to the Houston - Tampa Bay game on ESPN 97.5 KFNC, called by John Granato and Nate Griffin.

http://player.listenlive.co/47161

The pre-game show was very lively. So I look forward to an energetic game call.

EDIT — The game call is indeed energetic, as well as thorough and informative. These guys know what they're doing.

However, the radio announcers clearly do not have access to the coaches' play calls, or to the mic'ed players. So that aspect is completely missing. When the replay official reviews an on-field call, I wonder whether the radio announcers will patch in the sound of that.

But, even without the addition of one of the signature features of the XFL, this broadcast is very enjoyable.

The only flaw in the experience is the occasional online commercial that comes on while the game call is in progress. But these commercials are short, only 30 seconds. Still, I hope that this doesn't happen too often.

PJ Walker is Half-Price Mahomes. Really fun to watch so far.

Just now, Red Comet said:

PJ Walker is Half-Price Mahomes. Reallt fun to watch, so far.

If PJ Walker keeps this up, he may be receiving calls from NFL teams looking for upgrades at backup QB, most notably taking phone calls from Matt Patricia and Mike Tomlin, based on how horrible their backups were last year.  He would be an upgrade over David Blough and Jeff Driskel in Detroit and Devlin Hodges and Mason Rudolph in Pittsburgh.  

The Vipers are not a good football team. 

Also, I could see PJ Walker reuniting with his college coach Matt Rhule in Carolina, especially if they don't bring Cam Newton back.  He would be an upgrade over Kyle Allen and Will Grier.  

And now this game just got interesting. Going to go past the over before the 4th quarter at this rate.

15 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If PJ Walker keeps this up, he may be receiving calls from NFL teams looking for upgrades at backup QB, most notably taking phone calls from Matt Patricia and Mike Tomlin, based on how horrible their backups were last year.  He would be an upgrade over David Blough and Jeff Driskel in Detroit and Devlin Hodges and Mason Rudolph in Pittsburgh.  

Oh, he's definitely going to a training camp this year. His play has been good enough that, with the right agent, he might be able to get real money from a bad team.

Didn't see this game being tied at halftime. 

48 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The Vipers are not a good football team. 

Maybe not! 

Eyeball test tells me there are less people here then there were at the Apollos game we went to last year but it may just look that way because the stadium is bigger.

Will be interesting to see the official attendance # for this game. 

The first two weeks, Trestman coached like he was back with the Chicago Bears.  Today, he coached like he was back with the Montreal Alouettes.....so far.  Whether or not he returns to pretending he was back in Chicago in the second half remains to be seen.  

Cam Phillips is going to get some attention too. I can see him being a solid slot receiver for a lot of teams.

2 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Cam Phillips is going to get some attention too. I can see him being a solid slot receiver for a lot of teams.

Interestingly enough he seems to be finding success right now as the deep and outs guy.