XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

4 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I think the Guardians might wind up getting moved to Philadelphia or Birmingham. Anything would be better than having essentially the players' family and friends be at a 80,000 seat stadium.

Not sure why Philadelphia would be any different.  As has been discussed recently, there's no venue besides LFF, which, while smaller than Met Life, isn't that much smaller.

My baseless speculation is that McMahon wants the legitimacy that comes along with playing in a "real" football stadium (not a re-purposed baseball stadium or something with a track), and also the name association that comes with saying that the "Guardians are playing at Met Life".  Just that association of Met Life being the Guardians home makes them seem a little more big time.

The empty stadium point is certainly valid.  Again, baseless speculation, is that in addition to the above, he's betting on himself that the league will thrive, and he'll eventually need these higher-capacity venues.  I don't know what the leases are like, but starting out in a 7k venue and then outgrowing it while still under lease and unable to move would be bad.  At least this way, there's plenty of room for growth - literally and figuratively.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IceCap said:

USF is apparently exploring the possibility of a 40,000-50,000 seat football stadium on campus.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-releases-conceptual-study-for-on-campus-stadium/2333026/

The Vipers may want to consider that if 1) USF actually builds it and 2) the XFL and/or Vipers are still around by then. 40,000-50,000 is probably too big, but 17,000 in a stadium of that size will look better then 17,000 in 65,618 Raymond James.

Plus playing in this hypothetical stadium would work better with presentation. The Vipers would "seem" more at home in the green and gold USF Bulls' stadium compared to the red and black of Raymond James.

USF really struggles to raise money for athletics.  That TB Times story you linked to was from 2017, which was one AD ago.  That guy was struggling to get donors for a football-specific building for years.  They just raised half that $40M needed late last year.

They might as well just go to Plant City and try to add to the old Reds spring training stadium complex they currently train at. 

31 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The XFL will find a way to spin the attendance at the next Guardians game as a positive somehow, even if attendance declines at MetLife.  

NBA, NHL and MLS use "tickets distributed", so none of that really matters if you are pre-paying your stadium bills like Vince is, right?

New York needs some star power. When Tebow fails at baseball again this year, I can see the XFL making a big money run at him. The $500K QB contract, plus a separate marketing deal.

They apparently already had some contact with him about this season, which he obviously declined.

28 minutes ago, DDR said:

New York needs some star power. When Tebow fails at baseball again this year, I can see the XFL making a big money run at him. The $500K QB contract, plus a separate marketing deal.

They apparently already had some contact with him about this season, which he obviously declined.

The league needs better QB play in addition to star power. I'm not convinced which of the two is more important.

I was talking with a friend after church last night. He knows how much of a football fan I am and asked me if I was watching the XFL. He was thinking about driving (with his son) to St. Louis for the game this Saturday, but timing wasn't going to be perfect so he wasn't. The thing of interest to me was he talked about liking the 'presentation' of the game (other than in game interviews), but not necessarily liking the football that was being played.

It's where I sit.

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The league needs better QB play in addition to star power. I'm not convinced which of the two is more important.

I was talking with a friend after church last night. He knows how much of a football fan I am and asked me if I was watching the XFL. He was thinking about driving (with his son) to St. Louis for the game this Saturday, but timing wasn't going to be perfect so he wasn't. The thing of interest to me was he talked about liking the 'presentation' of the game (other than in game interviews), but not necessarily liking the football that was being played.

It's both, for sure. I'm just thinking that if you're not a fan after the launch and the initial buzz has worn off, what's gonna get you to tune in? A recognizable name, maybe. What's gonna get you to watch again? A better product, which starts with the QB play.

13 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

PJ Walker and Ta'amu have been quality QBs for the XFL. Cardale had a dud last week, but he showed some big play ability in his first two games. Josh Johnson hasn't been bad either.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

NFL has a pay scale for rookies, right?  So it should be pretty easy to guess what a 1st or 2nd round QB would make, right?  The XFL could "draft" these guys, offer them more than what they'd make in their first NFL year, and then the XFL benefits from the names and curiosity, and the players benefit from more up-front earnings, and maybe being able to enter the NFL a year later as a FA and make more than they would have had they signed when drafted (and maybe pick a team rather than vice versa.)  The XFL could 'draft" them in December - after their season wraps up, but before bowls.  Not sure what would happen if they then got drafted by the NFL in April - maybe since they'd be 'professionals' they could just go directly to free agency.

Not sure if the business plan for the XFL allows for dropping such substantial money on rookie QBs, but it might be a risk worth taking.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Reports are out saying that Vipers QB Quinton Flowers wants an outright release.  I assume he is frustrated with the starting QB situation where he's clearly performing better than the backup Taylor Cornelius.  Heck, Flowers scored the franchises first TD in Week 3.

I really do feel for the guy, and it doesn't help that the teams been using him in marketing the team due to his status as a former USF starting QB.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2020/2/27/21154597/quinton-flowers-leaves-tampa-bay-vipers-xfl-marc-trestman-requests-release

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

NFL has a pay scale for rookies, right?  So it should be pretty easy to guess what a 1st or 2nd round QB would make, right?  The XFL could "draft" these guys, offer them more than what they'd make in their first NFL year, and then the XFL benefits from the names and curiosity, and the players benefit from more up-front earnings, and maybe being able to enter the NFL a year later as a FA and make more than they would have had they signed when drafted (and maybe pick a team rather than vice versa.)  The XFL could 'draft" them in December - after their season wraps up, but before bowls.  Not sure what would happen if they then got drafted by the NFL in April - maybe since they'd be 'professionals' they could just go directly to free agency.

Not sure if the business plan for the XFL allows for dropping such substantial money on rookie QBs, but it might be a risk worth taking.

I don't necessarily think they would automatically be free agents if they went to the NFL after the XFL. Many European basketball players are professionals when they get drafted by the NBA... right?

Now, even if they had to still go through the NFL draft, the XFL may still be appealing from a monetary standpoint. Although I don't think any legitimate potential 1st or 2nd (maybe 3rd) round pick would risk injury right before the draft after their final season in college. Some mid-round or later guys may take a chance to get some money and improve in a professional-esque environment in hopes of upping their draft stock. Kenny Robinson of St. Louis was academically ineligible at West Virginia this past year, so he's playing in the XFL now even though he's projected to go in the first couple of rounds, I believe. I could see, in the future maybe, some players being told to get some experience there before they go to the NFL.

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Reports are out saying that Vipers QB Quinton Flowers wants an outright release.  I assume he is frustrated with the starting QB situation where he's clearly performing better than the backup Taylor Cornelius.  Heck, Flowers scored the franchises first TD in Week 3.

I really do feel for the guy, and it doesn't help that the teams been using him in marketing the team due to his status as a former USF starting QB.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2020/2/27/21154597/quinton-flowers-leaves-tampa-bay-vipers-xfl-marc-trestman-requests-release

There is no universe where a quarterback wants to be in Tampa right now. 

3 hours ago, McCall said:

I don't necessarily think they would automatically be free agents if they went to the NFL after the XFL. Many European basketball players are professionals when they get drafted by the NBA... right?

Now, even if they had to still go through the NFL draft, the XFL may still be appealing from a monetary standpoint. Although I don't think any legitimate potential 1st or 2nd (maybe 3rd) round pick would risk injury right before the draft after their final season in college. Some mid-round or later guys may take a chance to get some money and improve in a professional-esque environment in hopes of upping their draft stock. Kenny Robinson of St. Louis was academically ineligible at West Virginia this past year, so he's playing in the XFL now even though he's projected to go in the first couple of rounds, I believe. I could see, in the future maybe, some players being told to get some experience there before they go to the NFL.

Yeah it wouldn't make sense for a 1st or 2nd rounder to do it unless they could somehow bypass the draft.  Even if they had to do the XFL for 3 seasons (or whatever the min is before they could renegotiate an extension) it could make sense.  If they'd still have to be drafted, then you are correct - it would only make sense for someone that wants to bet on themselves that they can go from being a projected 3rd or 4th rounder to a 1st or 2nd if they light it up in the XFL.

5 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Fire Trestman.

13 hours ago, IceCap said:

Fire Trestman.

You would have hoped that even with his failures in the NFL that Trestman's experience and success in the CFL would have translated to some degree to the XFL. Appears not.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

14 hours ago, IceCap said:

Fire Trestman.

10 minutes ago, Maroon said:

You would have hoped that even with his failures in the NFL that Trestman's experience and success in the CFL would have translated to some degree to the XFL. Appears not.

Trestman should make like Justin Bieber and go back to Canada.

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

St. Louis has a DB that's eligible for the draft this year due to be kicked off West Virginia for academics. I could see a couple players falling under this set of circumstances each year and they can use XFL tape to improve their chances of getting drafted in the mid to late rounds of the NFL draft. I don't think the XFL can meet the rookie minimum for QBs without the game bonuses though. 

19 hours ago, TBGKon said:

The fact that Aaron Murray takes up a roster spot on that team is even more egregious. Trestman really doesn't seem to know how to use any of his quarterbacks effectively though. Swapping them in and out in the middle of drives makes no sense. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The fact that Aaron Murray takes up a roster spot on that team is even more egregious. Trestman really doesn't seem to know how to use any of his quarterbacks effectively though. Swapping them in and out in the middle of drives makes no sense. 

To be fair, Murray is a local guy who played high school ball in Tampa, but thats all he had going for him.

14 hours ago, IceCap said:

Fire Trestman.

He just needs Calvillo ;) 

36 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Trestman should make like Justin Bieber and go back to Canada.

Eh.... That didn't work out in Toronto. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

32 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

Eh.... That didn't work out in Toronto. 

I mean, it "didn't work out" in that he was fired after 2018 after just two seasons. But he did win his third Grey Cup in Toronto. I know that for the Argos fans a championship comes around at least once a decade anyhow, so maybe just another Grey Cup isn't the end all be all like it would be for a team with less success, but I don't know that I'd ever say a coach's tenure was a failure when he won a championship one out of the two seasons he was there.

MZnWkGU.png

Archived