Do You Remember Champion Athletic?

johnnysama

Here's something for you all: Do you remember Champion Athletic, which during the 1980s and 90s supplied some quality NFL jerseys (and supplied the uniforms for quite a few teams) and their partnership with the NBA in the 1990s (and the jerseys made for the consumer market, which you'll see quite a few of them on the streets today with significant wear), and how they were partners with Notre Dame University for half a century? (They last supplied uniforms for a pro league for the one-hit wonder [and possibly soon-to-be-revived] XFL in 2001.)

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/South-Carolina-Gamecocks-commit-Bryce-Thompson-caps-off-Shrine-Bowl-week-with-a-bang-112361399 - Take a look at the first picture. You'll see that "C" on the front of the jersey. They actually still make team uniforms!

Which is nice to know, considering how Russell Athletic left that arena this year.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have a supremely popular line at Target, and they’ve become an unexpected success in the high-end sporswear realm as well, collaborating with several solid designers and niche stores.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

huh?

I'm in college, and half my Colgate gear is Champion.

While Champion Athletic is known these days for their activewear apparel for the consumer market, I was referring to their team uniform business.

UBwef0L.png

I don't get this thread - Champion (under their own original brand) is widely available at most major chains, and C9 (their Target brand) is available at every Target.

They still have a uniform catalog for schools, though I'm not sure how many still use them.  

I think everyone that follows uniforms knows that for a very long time, Champion was the NBA.  Also, there's an entire font called the "Champion Font" because their NFL jerseys all used it (note the 2 and 7.)  Obviously, ND used that font for a while too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Champion still exists. They are owned by HanesBrands and as others have pointed out are still sold in retailers, the C9 by Champion in Target and self-branded items in Kohls, Penneys etc...  There is also a higher end line by Todd Snyder, the guy who started Tailgate clothing.

First thing I thought of Champion apparel is when Syracuse wore them in football and basketball.  They symbolize Champion.  Notre Dame, Ohio State, Illinois, and Florida were other schools that wore Champion through most of the 80s and 90s.  Too bad Champion apparel can't keep up with the Nikes and Adidases of the world because they were the ultimate athletic apparel of college and pro sports.  Now sadly they are only a footnote as of today.

Image result for 1987 syracuse footballImage result for 1994 syracuse basketball

^ As I stated in the first post here, Champion and Russell Athletic were the go-to companies for team uniforms in the 1980s and 1990s; the latter company shut down its team uniform department this year. :(

But, you are right, these days both companies focus more on the consumer apparel market.

UBwef0L.png

Archived