Time to rebrand the Panthers?

guest23

3 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

So you just want them to change it for change's sake?  This is how we got the monstrosity that was the Clippers' rebrand...

It's not change for change's sake. It's turning the page from Jerry Richardson.

Why hold the Clippers' rebrand against the Panthers? Just because one rebrand was bad doesn't mean another one will be bad.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BJ Sands said:

It's not change for change's sake. It's turning the page from Jerry Richardson.

Why hold the Clippers' rebrand against the Panthers? Just because one rebrand was bad doesn't mean another one will be bad.

If you ask me, Penn State had the PERFECT opportunity to rebrand after the scandal they had...but they didn't.

You know why?  Because their brand was an ICONIC one...debate all you want about whether they got off too easy, but I think it's safe to say that over the last few years, the brand is not so closely tied in with the scandal anymore...

bYhYmxh.png

Just now, MBurmy said:

If you ask me, Penn State had the PERFECT opportunity to rebrand after the scandal they had...but they didn't.

You know why?  Because their brand was an ICONIC one...debate all you want about whether they got off too easy, but I think it's safe to say that over the last few years, the brand is not so closely tied in with the scandal anymore...

1. Penn State's brand >>>>>> Carolina Panthers brand.

2. Penn State will ALWAYS be tied to the scandal. If you watch a PSU game and don't think about it you're just a JoePa fanboy or truther.

3. Penn State should never be used as a role model for anything, unless it's a negative role model.

I don't think they need a full rebrand.  But they do overuse the primary logo.  I would recommend:

1) Develop a decent 2ndary logo and a new wordmark.

2) Emphasize the blue over the black and silver.

3) Uniforms, with 2ndary logo on either sleeves or pants but not both. 

4) Either remove stripes from helmet or change to a tapered stripe similar to Buffalo's  (thin black with thick blue inside)

Or, go more radical:  Black helmet?  Metallic blue helmet?  (No two-tone, J'ville is already 1 too many). 

Heck, maybe contact Marvel and see if you can partner up with the Black Panther movie to do something wild with it. 

Here is a design I did for Carolina not that long ago  (sorry, I know that is horn-tooting), but it seems appropriate to throw out a topically-relevant on this thread.  It still has a black theme, ,but a couple of the other elements are altered. 

rqy62B6.jpg

ehUHXrG.jpg

I would like silver or black pants on the road rather than white, but I don't see the need to throw the baby out with the bathwater here. I don't think you can compare the enormity of Penn State's institutional coverup of systemic child rape with Jerry Richardson openly being a hardline anti-labor racist creep. The Panthers can be salvaged with a better person at the controls; Penn State football should have been shut down forever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I disagree with almost every point you've made. The brand has more value than one that doesn't exist yet, they've been to the super bowl twice. The logo is iconic. The color scheme is beautiful and unique. If they can manage not to make them worse, a uni change might not be bad. They should leave the statue. The guy is the reason that state has a team. He didn't kill anyone. He didn't beat anyone. He didn't rape anyone. He spoke inappropriately with some women, touched one inappropriately, and used a racial slur against a former scout. He shouldn't have his connection to the team he founded erased. 

I can smell your bias through my computer screen. I don't think there's a single objective person that would support these claims.The brand has never been top tier and the only thing that gives the franchise any value is Newton. Electric blue is the only redeeming portion of their entire identity. The Panthers brand is the 5th NC best sports brand in the entire state behind M. Jordan, Duke, UNC, and nascar. I also don't understand why you would want to keep a statue of an old man who made his fortune contributing to the obesity epidemic via his terrible restaurants with his most important contribution being writing a 9 figure check to the league offices.

They don’t need a rebrand but they should make minor changes. Ditch the white pants for silver on the road, change the helmet stripes to match the pants stripes, and pick one sock color to wear at home and on the road (blue or black it doesn’t matter). 

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

I can smell your bias through my computer screen. I don't think there's a single objective person that would support these claims.The brand has never been top tier and the only thing that gives the franchise any value is Newton. Electric blue is the only redeeming portion of their entire identity. The Panthers brand is the 5th NC best sports brand in the entire state behind M. Jordan, Duke, UNC, and nascar. I also don't understand why you would want to keep a statue of an old man who made his fortune contributing to the obesity epidemic via his terrible restaurants with his most important contribution being writing a 9 figure check to the league offices.

Ironically I find your post much more biased than the one you’ve quoted. Also disagree with your brand value rankings, not sure what makes you think that.

I think this brand has value separate from Richardson. I would guess before this weekend most people didn’t know who the owner was and after the sale most won’t remember it.

Although I do hope they take down that statue.

Small tweaks and they would be perfect.

Change the helmet stripe to more of a tapered stripe that matches the pants stripe, Blue outlined in Black

Blue jersey becomes primary home 

White jersey only used on the road

Black Jersey used twice per season, once with Black pants/Blue Socks and once with Silver pants/Black socks

Uniform Materials switch over to newer materials except for silver pants, which keep the same sheen

Eliminate white pants(Except for Occasional Color Rush game) Silver becomes default home and road pants option

Both the Black pants and Blue pants become options for alternate pants. 

My thoughts

• Eliminate silver from the uniforms altogether, but keep it in the logo if necessary (for accent purposes).
  • Make blue the primary color, while having a set of black uniforms for alternates sake.
  • Blue helmets would be interesting.
  • Maybe change the logo, simply because the panther head in the shape of the Carolinas was Richardson's brand.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I️ think the logos and word marks should stay. All I️ think they need is a minor update that drops the use of silver. I’ve always preferred the more blue and white prominent away set and silver makes them look like the love child of the raiders and the lions.

13 hours ago, WSU151 said:

There are statues for Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaq, Michael Jordan, Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Jerry West, Pete Rose, Pat Bowlen, and dozens of others that are still alive.  

21 minutes ago, Lenny Dykstra said:

And Rocky!

and a duck. 

4.jpg

XM4KeeA.png

And to be clear, the very good suggestions for tweaks (fix up the helmet stripe, lose the white pants) are ones that would be valid even if Jerry Richardson wasn't asking employees if they were from Tennessee because they were the only tens he saw.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the Panthers are great as is and am scared at what a new uniform would look like. Only changes I’d make is a traditional helmet stripe and wear silver pants on the road sometimes. The silver helmet throws off the all white look. Also wear all black at least once a year (but only if they’re gonna wear the blue socks like they did before, otherwise don’t bother.)

Would be totally opposed to swapping the homes and alts either as the electric blues are one of my favorites in the league. But then again using it all the time might make it lose its luster some like when the Titans did it.

Archived