Quirkiest Jersey Elements

Bruins

22 hours ago, Morgo said:

Because the retro trend destroyed their previously unique identity.

It's a huge shame. I cannot stand their current look. Vinik wanted to change it all and let Yzerman tinker. So now we have basically the Toronto Red Wings. Last year they finally came to their senses and always wore their black thirds against the Leafs at home. This year they have no choice so it's back to looking like a Leafs scrimmage.

They promises the victory stripes would return, but alas many years later here we are without them. A slap in the face to Espo IMHO.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/12/2017 at 12:11 PM, Sodboy13 said:

It astounds me that everything was heat-pressed onto the first several years of the Flying V jerseys, including the giant V over the chest and shoulders. Wouldn't that bunch things up and make the jersey uncomfortable?

The Canucks had the heat-pressed Flying V uniforms only during the '81-'82 season. That included the numbers and Skate logo. Other NHL teams like the Penguins and Nordiques had heat-pressed crests, player names and numbers and design elements.

On 12/21/2017 at 1:30 PM, eastfirst107 said:

Lightning bolt on Tampa Bay's pants.

5024-204Fr.jpg

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen anything besides stripes on pants anywhere else (from North American teams, anyway...I know European teams will put ads on there), and I can't come up with anything.

Switch sports and the San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers have been doing that forever. That's probably where the Lightning got the idea.

Around this time of the year, Canada puts together a group of players who play in Europe to compete at the Spengler Cup.  They continue to use the old logo instead of the more iconic one that replaced it.  I was able to dig up a really old thread for an explanation as to why.  Simply put, it's to protect Hockey Canada's regular corporate partners, since they don't sponsor the Spengler Cup team.

2015_spengler_cup_dec29_canhcd.jpg?q=60

Archived