Outlandish yet restrained designs

Bob5151

3 hours ago, insert name said:

And, interestingly enough, that would be the only year they wore those.

1993 would be the last year of the button-down block DETROIT jerseys:

236-605Fr.jpg

Where they would then switch to the aforementioned racing stripe jerseys in 1994:

355-41Fr.jpg

And finally in 1995 to what would eventually evolve to their current road uniforms (without the piping and a different hat):

alan-trammell-lou-whitaker-1995-detroit-tigers.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Thats a fantastic uniform. Those aren’t easy colors to make a classic set out of, but they did just that. I don’t love the back number or nob font, but I can live with that considering the awesomeness of the front. 

Remind me - was it cream or white? I hope cream. 

According to ColorWerx's website, yes. 

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/12/2017 at 9:05 AM, Shumway said:

Solid use of Steve Jeltz and his glorious jheri curl.

4 hours ago, The Old Gym said:

This man man got booed unmercifully at The Vet. 

So so glad I got to partake. 

He was horrible. 

He wasn't as bad as Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz.

f6ebdaa7617fb5f64f580e0a7b6e02fd72e90d4d

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On April 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM, rxmc89 said:

Minnesota-football-2.jpg

I don’t like this design as it incorporates a cheesy motivational slogan unrelated to the team name into the uniform, but it fits this thread.

I like it because it is something very different. How many teams have ever worn a uniform with a oar on it.

This is one of my all time favorite uniforms

At it's core its a simple Yellow/Green/Yellow uniform with a few black accents. 

Ad a splash of Chrome and iridescence and you have a great modern uniform. 

Helmet is an all timer for me. IMO this is how you do chrome right. 

I will say these i prefer the wing shape that they used in Rose Bowl NCG. 

Marcus+Mariota+Arkansas+State+v+Oregon+u

On 4/9/2018 at 4:03 AM, Ray Lankford said:

-pfif4_t_400x400.jpg

Yea I think people refuse to realize how restrained the Miami Marlins set actually is.

When the logo was leaked everyone jumped off a cliff at how it was a rainbow looking logo and the uniforms would look like a pack of Skittles... yet when the uniforms were unveiled they were surprisingly subdued beyond the logo itself. Think of it this way, if you remove the M logo from the uniform what do you have? A black and white (or gray) uniform with thin single orange (or black) piping and, at worst, a wordmark with a form of a drop shadow and a silver outline. That's it. The entire uniform isn't a colorful rainbow. 

Image result for derek dietrich marlinsImage result for caleb smith marlins

I remember reading an article saying that when the Marlins were getting feedback from focus groups during the design process, people were put off by the multiple colors of the logo yet when seeing the uniforms they saw how scaled back they actually were from what they thought they could have been...

“Like a lot of the people that saw the leaked logo, the initial thought was this is the Houston Astros uniforms of the ’70s. That was never the direction and once people in the focus groups saw the uniforms, they understood,” O’Hara said.

On 12/22/2017 at 1:12 PM, insert name said:

The racing stripes fad in the 70s and 80s were pretty outlandish but still maintained to look like traditional baseball uniforms. 

ny_g_dstrawts2_400.jpgfryman1.jpg

Steve_Jeltz.jpg635827077295758614-GettyImages-53011346-

The Mets did it perfectly!

This remains my favorite Predators uniform...it was actually pretty plain, with the overtly outlandish part being the claw marks on the numbers.

Arena B Wagner Orl Card-bj

Then you had the original Kats, though in their case, it was the pants where they got creative: the pants stripes were guitar necks.  I was never big on the 2nd Kats' uniforms, always thought they wore a garbage design that was both vastly inferior to the original Kats and a low rent version of the Titans. 

98nas-194x300.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, johnnysama said:

3c038b35b95b99790c1ec1b1d9be5718_crop_ex

The Seattle Seahawks 1983-2001 uniforms kind of qualify, with their "wrap-around Seahawks" sleeve striping; it is quite out-of-the-box and awesome looking, right up there with the Rams' 1973-99 set. :D

Love this look. It's one of my all-time favorite NFL uniforms. I believe I posted about how I found one of these jerseys in your annual Thrift Store Gems thread (2017 maybe?) and noted that while it was early in the year, it was already the find of that year. Since then, I haven't found much of anything that tops it, honestly. 

12 hours ago, johnnysama said:

3c038b35b95b99790c1ec1b1d9be5718_crop_ex

The Seattle Seahawks 1983-2001 uniforms kind of qualify, with their "wrap-around Seahawks" sleeve striping; it is quite out-of-the-box and awesome looking, right up there with the Rams' 1973-99 set. :D

These uniforms made me fall in love with the Seahawks as a kid and I'm still a fan today.

Archived