Eric Westhaver

2018 Spengler Cup retool

It's the most wonderful time of the year for hockey, especially for European hockey buffs like me.

The Spengler Cup has returned. For the unintiated, the Spengler Cup is an annual hockey tournament held in Davos, Switzerland in the most gorgeous rink around. Six teams play, including the local Davos team, a Team Canada squad made of European league players, and a few other teams. It runs from Dec. 26-31 every year.

In an Olympic season where nobody's really sure who will play for who, there may be more eyes on this year's Spengler than ever before.

The problem is, they'll be doing it wearing these.

DRl6RuCXcAARNg9.jpg:large

Eugh. No thank you. Templated, big ads everywhere, mismatched blocks of colours... they just don't look all that good.

Just like the last few years, I set myself a challenge to make something interesting and unique that incorporates each team and the sponsors, instead of making it all visually nasty.

So, here's what I got.

The first group is up here: Group Cattini, featuring Team Canada, HC Davos and the Czech league's HK Mountfield.

0dZZeoI.pnghuuTnhj.png0P3oBqo.pngCvhN79b.pngEsk2hzP.pngbk48zCm.png

I'm all for taking a lot of risks for something like this - buttoned collars with Swiss crosses on them, diagonal stripes, bright colours, half-and-half uniforms, etc. It's a five-day tournament at Christmas - why not go wild?

Canada's unis use the Canada 150 maple leaf - one of the final events that could conceivably use it - and an away styled after Hudson Bay jackets. Davos uses a diagonal stripe and wordmark, both elements they've used before. Mountfield is a fairly new team, so I imagined what they could have looked like in the early 1900's as a goof.

I'll post the remaining three teams tomorrow. C&C is definitely welcome - if there's a way to make these better, I want to know.

That light jersey for Canada reminds me a lot of the Hudson Bay Company... I know I've asked before, but what is the reason can't use their federation logo for the tournament?

And I am also a fan of the Spengler Cup. I love that arena in Davos and it is something on my bucket list to attend an HC Davos game there.

The Spengler Cup is something to watch yearly as I love to watch on tv.. but the jerseys with the ads can be annoying as hell to deal with. .just need a clean good jersey to see on tv every time.. but ohh man.. 

On 12/23/2017 at 8:36 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

That light jersey for Canada reminds me a lot of the Hudson Bay Company... I know I've asked before, but what is the reason can't use their federation logo for the tournament?

And I am also a fan of the Spengler Cup. I love that arena in Davos and it is something on my bucket list to attend an HC Davos game there.

I'm not clear on the exact reason why - I think it has something to do with it not being the top national team. Going to a Spengler Cup game sounds terrific.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:02 AM, NorthStar74 said:

The Spengler Cup is something to watch yearly as I love to watch on tv.. but the jerseys with the ads can be annoying as hell to deal with. .just need a clean good jersey to see on tv every time.. but ohh man.. 

That's what I'm going for here. The ads are inescapable in European hockey - how can they be added without making the whole set look awful? This is my best try at that.

Anyway, here are the other three teams - the KHL's Dinamo Riga, Hameenliina HPK from Finland and the Swiss national team (playing this year as an Olympic tuneup).

kqJ0wIm.pngUqO5Ln3.png6Weynhk.pngCvjxIQw.pngmrh7wHE.pngu0T6qaZ.png

From further reading I've been doing on this site, Canada doesn't use their standard logo for sponsorship reasons. Hockey Canada has some serious corporate sponsorships, and those aren't the ones they wear in Davos. Rather than ruffle feathers, they just change the logo.

Everything here is great. I agree, it's Christmas, have a little fun. Big fan of the HPK look, and HC Davos.

I love the Canadian white (cream); almost deserves to switch the Wurth sponsorship to HBC...