Thrift Store Gems 2018

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I have a Pro Player burgandy Avs jersey, and it's great. They screwed up the white Avs jerseys, though, as they put another blue outline around the logo that's not supposed to be there.

https://www.ebay.com/i/222896106042?chn=ps

The saga of the incorrect Avs yeti patch. It actually first appeared on the Starter retail authentic jerseys in the Avs first year in 1995-96. Starter made their retail authentic jerseys overseas, while their gamers were made in Berlin, WI, so think of their retail authentic jerseys as the original Indo-Edges. 

goQBPZd.jpg

Starter corrected the error the following season on their retail authentic jerseys, and their replicas always had the correct design, however for whatever reason, CCM / Koho replicas always used the incorrect design, and never corrected it. They made Avs replicas from the late 90s - 2007, so there is a very large population of Avs replicas with the wrong yeti design. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found these interesting gems at a local family owned sports store, 

CXhOjbt.jpg

FVt6D60.jpg

IDWrALi.jpg

CS2c5aE.jpg

I'm going to take a wild guess and say The Brady one isn't legitimate :lol:

But I'm not really a stickler for that kind of thing like some people are.  

Glad I found the White version though, one of the few Away Jerseys I actually really like. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

6 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say The Brady one isn't legitimate :lol:

But I'm not really a stickler for that kind of thing like some people are.  

Glad I found the White version though, one of the few Away Jerseys I actually really like. 

It's not "legitimate" for a number of reasons: Brady obviously never wore that jersey style, the Patriots weren't wearing that style jersey in 1994 when the 75th patch was worn, and the customization is a bit off (look at the difference in the "2" on the Brady and Martin - the Martin is correct), but I'm 99.9% sure it's not a counterfeit - just a legitimate blank, customized into a near-Frankenjersey. I don't think I've ever seen a counterfeit Wilson-Staff jersey, so I'm confident in saying at least the jersey itself (sans customization) is legitimate.

The Martin looks good. The nameplate font is a bit off (oddly enough, the Brady nameplate looks correct), but lots of '90s retail authentics had font issues.

All that said, nice pickups! Hopefully you scored a deal.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

7 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

It's not "legitimate" for a number of reasons: Brady obviously never wore that jersey style, the Patriots weren't wearing that style jersey in 1994 when the 75th patch was worn, and the customization is a bit off (look at the difference in the "2" on the Brady and Martin - the Martin is correct), but I'm 99.9% sure it's not a counterfeit - just a legitimate blank, customized into a near-Frankenjersey. I don't think I've ever seen a counterfeit Wilson-Staff jersey, so I'm confident in saying at least the jersey itself (sans customization) is legitimate.

The Martin looks good. The nameplate font is a bit off (oddly enough, the Brady nameplate looks correct), but lots of '90s retail authentics had font issues.

All that said, nice pickups! Hopefully you scored a deal.

It is a legitimate Wilson Staff jersey for sure, but not an "authentic Patriots jersey" as the Patriots never wore Wilson Staff jerseys post-1992.

I think there was a year Curtis Martin had "C. Martin" on the back (though I'm not sure) but most of the time it was just "Martin".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It is a legitimate Wilson Staff jersey for sure, but not an "authentic Patriots jersey" as the Patriots never wore Wilson Staff jerseys post-1993.

I think there was a year Curtis Martin had "C. Martin" on the back (though I'm not sure) but most of the time it was just "Martin".

It is missing the subtle striping that the 95-99 jerseys featured... so its a 1993 base with the 1994 anniversary tag, and 1995 shoulder patches - for a QB from 2000. All that's missing is the Super Bowl XXXI patch... just to be different, some loyal Barstool Sports reader will pay $250 for it.

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It is a legitimate Wilson Staff jersey for sure, but not an "authentic Patriots jersey" as the Patriots never wore Wilson Staff jerseys post-1992.

The Patriots never wore Wilson Staff jerseys at all, but retail authentics were made by many companies in the 1990s, regardless of which brand the team wore on the field. This does not change the fact that the jerseys are retail authentics. The only year Wilson Staff logos were used on NFL jerseys was in 1995.

4 hours ago, C-Squared said:

It is missing the subtle striping that the 95-99 jerseys featured... so its a 1993 base with the 1994 anniversary tag, and 1995 shoulder patches - for a QB from 2000. All that's missing is the Super Bowl XXXI patch... just to be different, some loyal Barstool Sports reader will pay $250 for it.

I can see the striping? I think? It's not a 1993-94 base, Flying Elvis was on the sleeves rather than shoulders for those years. And, again, Wilson Staff logos were only used on jerseys in the 1995 season.

29 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

The Patriots never wore Wilson Staff jerseys at all, but retail authentics were made by many companies in the 1990s, regardless of which brand the team wore on the field. This does not change the fact that the jerseys are retail authentics. The only year Wilson Staff logos were used on NFL jerseys was in 1995.

I can see the striping? I think? It's not a 1993-94 base, Flying Elvis was on the sleeves rather than shoulders for those years. And, again, Wilson Staff logos were only used on jerseys in the 1995 season.

I was gonna say, I don't know how somebody found the big Elvis logos to stitch onto an older model... purists must hate them, but some of the best-selling jerseys I see online these days are customized "fauxback" jerseys of current players in older styles, or even crossover sport jerseys (like an awesome Doug Flutie Sabres jersey from '99)

9 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I was gonna say, I don't know how somebody found the big Elvis logos to stitch onto an older model... purists must hate them, but some of the best-selling jerseys I see online these days are customized "fauxback" jerseys of current players in older styles, or even crossover sport jerseys (like an awesome Doug Flutie Sabres jersey from '99)

I cringe every time I see a Joe Montana 49ers jersey with the drop-shadowed 1990s numbers.

For some reason I don't feel the same way when a current player's name and number are put on an older jersey, like the Brady above. 

I found what appears to be a team-issued Dolphins practice jersey. 

Can anyone validate this? Or even provide some additional info? I’ve seen photos with the AARP patch on the practice jerseys but does anyone know which years that occurred or who may have been #77 at that time? 

How this jersey ended up in western Canada I have no idea!

9Nsnbje.jpg

TlZ6tsQ.jpg

QQSNMaX.jpg

Also, any idea why there’s a #14 inside?

hbiyxc3.jpg

ybFAntS.jpg

1 minute ago, Gobbi said:

I found what appears to be a team-issued Dolphins practice jersey. 

Can anyone validate this? Or even provide some additional info? I’ve seen photos with the AARP patch on the practice jerseys but does anyone know which years that occurred or who may have been #77 at that time? 

How this jersey ended up in western Canada I have no idea!

https://i.imgur.com/9Nsnbje.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TlZ6tsQ.jpg

QQSNMaX.jpg

Also, any idea why there’s a #14 inside?

https://i.imgur.com/hbiyxc3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ybFAntS.jpg

I believe that is the year it was issued 

Ok so based on it coming from 2014, looks like Billy Turner was the player who wore it and his stint with the Dolphins didn't last long. I can't find pics of them wearing the AARP patch in 2014 though... 

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

Ok so based on it coming from 2014, looks like Billy Turner was the player who wore it and his NFL career didn't last long. I can't find pics of them wearing the AARP patch in 2014 though... 

It is still common for teams/players to re-use gear issued in prior seasons (sometimes even passed down to new players). I used to own a Bills Cordy Glenn game jersey with 2014 tags that showed damage I photomatched to a specific game in 2015. Maybe the Fins used the AARP patch in 15 or 16?

Gotta love Savers - $50 for an old Champion replica, under $10 for a game jersey.

29 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

It is still common for teams/players to re-use gear issued in prior seasons (sometimes even passed down to new players). I used to own a Bills Cordy Glenn game jersey with 2014 tags that showed damage I photomatched to a specific game in 2015. Maybe the Fins used the AARP patch in 15 or 16?

Gotta love Savers - $50 for an old Champion replica, under $10 for a game jersey.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. My photo search continues. 

Yeah, gotta love it. There were beer league jerseys priced higher than this!

5 hours ago, C-Squared said:

It shows most of the telltale signs of an overseas counterfeit, but even that is a deal at $10

Definitely a counterfeit, but if you're happy at $10, I'm not gonna rain on your parade.

Archived