1 hour ago, pepis21 said:
13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This categorical rejection makes little sense.  A few ad breaks would give you a chance to pee, while not compromising the flow of the action.

No, stop americanize football, ok?

Get out of here with that "Americanise football" nonsense! I am simply addressing the crisis in football aesthetics by making suggestions to replace the revenue that uniform advertising brings is. 

One could assert that the ads on NBA uniforms are unobtrusive. While those ads displease me philosophically, at least they are small enough not to dominate the uniform. But on football shirts the ad overwhelms everything else. Here in a forum devoted to the aesthetics of uniforms, we should be able to regard as fact the notion that the advertising that appears on football shirts is an aesthetic disaster.

What's more, the people here who are concerned with branding ought to, if they are going to be perfectly honest, acknowledge that the only logo or mark that belongs on a team's shirt is its own. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we added commercials to soccer games, it wouldn't be to replace jersey ads. It would be to add even more revenue on top of jersey ads (and field ads, and league naming rights, stadium naming rights, etc.). So it's a bad idea that would accomplish nothing. 

Jersey ads aren't going anywhere. The moment they get added to any sports league's jerseys, they are there to stay. The NBA won't get rid of the revenue stream that jersey ads are now adding and neither will any soccer league.

That's reality and we have to live with it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

57 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Get out of here with that "Americanise football" nonsense! I am simply addressing the crisis in football aesthetics by making suggestions to replace the revenue that uniform advertising brings is.

You are advocating changes to the essential structure of the game in order to spur an increase in advertising revenue. 

Which is pretty much the definition of “Americanizing” the sport. ? 

46 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You are advocating changes to the essential structure of the game in order to spur an increase in advertising revenue. 

Which is pretty much the definition of “Americanizing” the sport. ? 

Wrong on both counts.

1. I advocate no change to the structure of the game. If someone suggested stoppages of play for commercials, that would constitute advocacy for altering the game. Delaying the broadcast a few minutes does not alter the play on the field one bit.

2. Anticipating the inevitable rebuttal that shirt ads bring revenue, I mentioned other ways to achieve that goal. (Also, there were two other — and possibly better — suggestions: split-screen ads or picture-in-picture ads.) 

1 hour ago, Kevin W. said:

Jersey ads aren't going anywhere. The moment they get added to any sports league's jerseys, they are there to stay. 

The sad thing is that this is true — and it is the very basis of the fundamental opposition to uniform ads. Even if most fans are not bothered, we, the tiny sliver of fans who care about aesthetics, should presumably have no problem in denouncing uniform ads as pollution and as a cultural crime.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Are you saying that the game should be tape-delayed for ad purposes? You sound like an NBC executive. 

If if that’s what you’re advocating for, then that’s a ridiculous proposition. You can’t do anything tape-delayed any more. Social media says hi. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's a fallacy to think you can trade ads on jerseys for commercials. There's no reason to think if ad breaks were added to soccer games that this would remove the necessity of plastering a logo on your kit.

Capitalism rules all. Soccer is stuck with ads on jerseys, it's part of the culture, even if I find it lame as hell.

There were reports that NBA games reduced commercials post-ads on jerseys, but I haven't seen an analysis and that seemed to be based on fan perception of the breaks moreso than an offset of jersey revenue.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I advocate no change to the structure of the game. If someone suggested stoppages of play for commercials, that would constitute advocacy for altering the game. Delaying the broadcast a few minutes does not alter the play on the field one bit.

Inserting ad breaks into a free-flowing game is changing the structure of the game.  For those watching on television if no other group.  And as such, it must be resisted tooth and claw. 

17 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

It's a fallacy to think you can trade ads on jerseys for commercials. There's no reason to think if ad breaks were added to soccer games that this would remove the necessity of plastering a logo on your kit.

Capitalism rules all. Soccer is stuck with ads on jerseys, it's part of the culture, even if I find it lame as hell.

There were reports that NBA games reduced commercials post-ads on jerseys, but I haven't seen an analysis and that seemed to be based on fan perception of the breaks moreso than an offset of jersey revenue.

The new timeout rules probably had a larger role since 20 second timeouts were removed for a full one minute timeout. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Serie A changed their logo from Quiznos to an A-pitch hybrid which rather looks like an A wearing a sombrero vueltiao

serie-a-tim-logo+%25283%2529.jpg

Shalke's third

schalke-18-19-kits+%25281%2529.jpg

And a slew of away kits released...

Betis 

betis-18-19-away-kit-1.jpg

Parma's  is throwbackis

parma-calcio-18-19-away-kit-1.jpg

Napoli 

napoli-18-19-away-kit-2.jpg

Leeds 

leeds-united-18-19-away-kit-2.jpg

And Frosinone

DkKVmyZXcAAIsFH.jpg

DkKV2LSXoAAQkyV.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Spurs unveiled and debuted their new third kit this morning against Newcastle:

DkUSYMWXoAUGZz1?format=jpgDkUSZSGX4AEe30Y?format=jpg

From afar I really like the look of this kit, mainly because of the color scheme. Up close, though, the pattern is hard to decipher and ends up cluttering the shirt IMO, especially when combined with the navy color block on the chest. Still, I’d say this is the best of their three kits for this season, but that’s really not saying much.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived