Greece is fantastic. They did the flag motif a whole lot better than USA did, that’s definitely the way to do it. So simple yet such a stunning design.

Slovenia and Finland are nice as well. And that Spain/Germany matchup is absolutely beautiful. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To go back on the fonts. I think many teams lose a good kit on a bad font choice. And I think teams look great wearing the same font in leagues (See Premier league's last 2 sets, the current and later BPL ones, for an idea of a good set) but there is no space for that on the big international teams. They need an identity. Brazil does it well.

But i think the USA have done better than usual. I think we look better in brighter colors, when our red stands out and the blue is bright. Navy works but looks black when used minimally. I was a huge fan of the bomb pops and even the Waldo's, im happy with this years design. And the new font will look great imo. Especially up close on replicas. I am a sucker for the rex bold though, I think it really looked unique, recognizable, and clean. I feel like everyone thinks these new kits are "good" but im part of that small group of the "good" that really like them. Sometimes you have to look at it a different way, as in, We  dont have an identity yet but that takes time to grow. Until we are a powerhouse of soccer, I doubt we will have one. We have to promote to the youth and something cool like this will look better to kids than a basic hoop look. Teams where Soccer is the primary sport is where the kits can be very plain.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 3/23/2018 at 3:39 PM, Digby said:

Interesting details to me:

nike-news-us-soccer-inner-pride_native_1

The icon on the left only exists inside the tag of the neckline, but the PR speak claims it's NASA-inspired, which makes me wonder what, generally using NASA/the space program as design inspiration for the US NTs would look like. Not only could it be fresh from a design perspective, but it might just be a smart move at a time when the more nationalist iconography can be seen as political, no matter how innocuous. This icon, in particular, would have made a much more interesting base for the new USSF logo than the generic shield they came up with. Gimme some rocket art for the next generation.

nike-news-us-soccer-numbers_native_1600.

We also, yet again, have a new typeface for the names and numbering. On its merits I like this a lot, these numbers are bold and clean and balance a modern look with classic sport styling. I absolutely HATED the fat, soft typeface used on the raglan sleeve kits so good riddance to that. Having said that (and not to be "and such small portions" about it), but as I said in the World Cup thread, I think consistency in typefaces is a good way for teams to build a brand particularly when they're putting out new kit sets every six months, and this is, by my count, the sixth different typeface the US teams have used in the past five years. That's way too many! This poor guy did this whole thing for a typeface set that would stand the test of time and it got tossed just like that. I don't see what's useful about churning through typefaces.

Lastly: interesting to see "home" and "away" designations gone away in favor of "association" and... er, "light" and "dark". May as well given the way these teams wear these kits, just interesting for it to be formalized.

The star pattern doesn't do much for me, but this is a solid typeface. Looks like a good evolution of the font we had for a few years pre Rex. 

As for the kits i think they're okay. Not great, not terrible. 

1 minute ago, njdevs7 said:

Better than the black jerseys, but still ruined by the light blue. How hard is it to just have Red, White, and Navy as the colors?

I think the lack of red helps vs Paraquay, but overall a newer version of the Gold Cup aways would have been better. And seeing soem Nike teams keeping their numbers centered rather than under the swoosh, (Brazil may be the only one not moving them) I think it's needed for the home shirts but not the aways. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived