NFL Tweaks (31&32/32 Tennessee Titans & Washington Redhawks)

MJD7

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Love what you did with the Jags! Their home jersey in particular looks fantastic, although personally I'd prefer white pants to black to pair with it.

31 minutes ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

Chiefs look perfect now, great change to the block font.

Personally, I think those two tweaks for Jacksonville are miles better than the original attempt, much better color balance between the three colors now.

Thank you! I think I'd probably add more gold like that if I ever did a redesign.

Alright so here is the first of the two LA teams, the Chargers:

Logos

V345HEz.png

-Logos pretty much stay the same. Navy takes more of a back seat, as I love how light blue and yellow go together.

Uniforms

oiPAL8r.pngftIKCdT.pngHTmZ6ak.pngqlx1xop.png

-As most concepts seem to do, the light blue jersey becomes the primary, as it's a shame it's regulated to 2 games a year. 

-The number font is sort of a condensed version of the real one.

-I switched to a white facemask because I feel it looks cleaner.

-No color blocks around the lightning bolts, which are now more straight & angular.

-The stormtrooper look is the primary away option, but the light blue pants (seen on the Color Rush) can also be worn.

-I was really unsure of what to do with the navy alternate, as I wanted to keep a prominent amount of light blue & yellow. I tried going for a "Hollywood Nights" vibe, but I'm really open to suggestions for changes.

-I love the Chargers real Color Rush, but this version embraces the light blue to not look like the Rams. The numbers are still yellow though, along with a yellow facemask.

Now here are the Rams:

Logos

6buLjnW.png

-The classic blue and yellow makes a return, of course. I went with Lakers' yellow as a compromise between some of the overly bright or dark shades of the Rams' past.

Uniforms

caiDPk2.pngqhA9ghw.pngP0BJrZg.pngfv9tVrw.png

-The primary home is yellow, inspired by this often-referenced beauty.

-I've been convinced to not really like the horns on the sleeves, so it's just the USC stripe on the sleeves, with a single solid blue stripe on the pants.

-I'm not really a fan of the current number font, but I had nothing better to change it to, so I kept it.

-The helmet is a dark royal, imagine a Giants-type finish.

-Color Rush goes all-yellow.

Hopefully I was able to make the Rams & Chargers look different from each other, I'd love to hear what everybody thinks!

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Thank you! I think I'd probably add more gold like that if I ever did a redesign.

Alright so here is the first of the two LA teams, the Chargers:

Logos

V345HEz.png

-Logos pretty much stay the same. Navy takes more of a back seat, as I love how light blue and yellow go together.

Uniforms

oiPAL8r.pngftIKCdT.pngHTmZ6ak.pngqlx1xop.png

-As most concepts seem to do, the light blue jersey becomes the primary, as it's a shame it's regulated to 2 games a year. 

-The number font is sort of a condensed version of the real one.

-I switched to a white facemask because I feel it looks cleaner.

-No color blocks around the lightning bolts, which are now more straight & angular.

-The stormtrooper look is the primary away option, but the light blue pants (seen on the Color Rush) can also be worn.

-I was really unsure of what to do with the navy alternate, as I wanted to keep a prominent amount of light blue & yellow. I tried going for a "Hollywood Nights" vibe, but I'm really open to suggestions for changes.

-I love the Chargers real Color Rush, but this version embraces the light blue to not look like the Rams. The numbers are still yellow though, along with a yellow facemask.

Now here are the Rams:

Logos

6buLjnW.png

-The classic blue and yellow makes a return, of course. I went with Lakers' yellow as a compromise between some of the overly bright or dark shades of the Rams' past.

Uniforms

caiDPk2.pngqhA9ghw.pngP0BJrZg.pngfv9tVrw.png

-The primary home is yellow, inspired by this often-referenced beauty.

-I've been convinced to not really like the horns on the sleeves, so it's just the USC stripe on the sleeves, with a single solid blue stripe on the pants.

-I'm not really a fan of the current number font, but I had nothing better to change it to, so I kept it.

-The helmet is a dark royal, imagine a Giants-type finish.

-Color Rush goes all-yellow.

Hopefully I was able to make the Rams & Chargers look different from each other, I'd love to hear what everybody thinks!

The USC stripe doesn't look bad, but if you aren't going to have the horns on the regular jerseys, you should at least have them on the Color Rush.

12 hours ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

Rams: I'd switch the Home and Alt, but otherwise it's a perfect look for a clueless team.

Chargers: The Sky and White unis are perfect, I think I'd go White/Sky/Gold on the Navy numbers, and the Color Rush is great.

So back to regular numbers for the Chargers? This probably does work better.

S53S5QW.png

Alright, welp, I was hoping I'd be posting this along with the elation that my Vikings would be going to the Super Bowl in their home stadium, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen at this point.

Before we get to that though, here are the Miami Dolphins:

Logos

RcCy5qK.png

-Unpopular opinion, but I love a lot of the Dolphins' redesign, especially the logo and the bright new aqua. The one major flaw I believe it had was the switch to the barely prominent tangerine orange, which belongs to the Buccaneers. I went back to the more saturated, red-orange shade, and will be using it more prominently.

-For the wordmarks, I modernized the original Dolphins wordmark, as it's my favorite that they've had.

Uniforms

kHkJywx.pngSolFGfb.pngdEGnVIZ.pngwZCIwU1.png

-I love the Dolphins' current uniforms, they're sleek, modern, and fit Miami well with the bright colors.. The main adjustment I made was to thicken all the orange outlines throughout the set to keep the color prominent in the Dolphins' brand. There's also an orange alternate option.

-I'd love to see the all-white look often as an away option, as I'm always a sucker for that combo.

-Aqua is the color the Dolphins are most known for, so it becomes the Color Rush.

Now onto my ever-disappointing Vikings:

Logos

9ATc0jk.png

-I cannot overstate how happy I was when I saw the Vikings' 2013 redesign, especially considering what it replaced. Pretty much everything stays the same, other than a new helmet logo for Color Rush.

Uniforms

gULcNaO.pngKs3dMp4.pngD8rwZHM.png

-Only small adjustments for what might very well be my favorite uniforms in the NFL: the black facemask is replaced with the satin purple, and the stripes on the white pants are recolored for consistency.

-I love the all purple with yellow for the Color Rush, only changes being the recolored helmet logo and that the wordmark says "Minnesota" for some state pride.

I'd love to hear what anyone thinks, any C&C is always appreciated.

Miami looks great, love the sleek look and the colors. Maybe use the classic Miami look with the sleeve stripes as the basis of the Color Rush, but otherwise, perfect.

Minnesota: I agree that it doesn't need much tweaking, and what you did was perfect. One thing that I believe would look great is to match the numbers to the striping, and include a double outline, having a jersey color outline around the number and a yellow one around that. Otherwise, it looks great!

Minnesota is pretty much perfect. It's such a relief to see the pants stripes figured out. 

Miami - I wish the numbers were block as the current font looks lopsided to me, but I like the idea of the double teal as a solution.

LA Rams - Perfect. Why they haven't done something like this is horribly depressing.

LA Chargers - I like the idea of keep the bolts consistent in terms of striping. I'd be interested in seeing the outline on the bolts going (inside to out) from navy to powder rather than what's used today. 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Minnesota is pretty much perfect. It's such a relief to see the pants stripes figured out. 

Miami - I wish the numbers were block as the current font looks lopsided to me, but I like the idea of the double teal as a solution.

LA Rams - Perfect. Why they haven't done something like this is horribly depressing.

LA Chargers - I like the idea of keep the bolts consistent in terms of striping. I'd be interested in seeing the outline on the bolts going (inside to out) from navy to powder rather than what's used today. 

Thank you! In nearly every situation I would agree with you about the striping for the Chargers, but I like it in this case since it somehow makes it look "electric," to me. Here's a look at what you are saying though.

W5OFUnU.png

It does look a lot better than I expected.

1 hour ago, scottyeagle said:

I've never liked the two different sets of numbers for the Vikings, so I would fix that if I was in your shoes.  I can't really complain about anything else you've done, though. 

That's just one of those oddities that I really like, I just think it would be too boring without the "spikes" and too complex if both numbers had them. Thank you though.

Here's the team that's (unfortunately) appearing in another Super Bowl, the New England Patriots.

Logos

fF3MWA6.png

-No more silver to distance from the Brady/Belichick era once it ends. The new wordmark is also embraced overall in the identity. The red is brightened to be a stark contrast navy.

Uniforms

tBwdPNp.pngOR0fOqH.pngm6ik2MQ.png1fkw7zD.png

-The Color Rush is about the only possible hint at how the Patriots could change going forward, so I embraced that look with a simple UCLA-striped set.

-The helmet goes back to white, still with the bright red facemask.

-The number font is inspired by the spiked wordmark. I thought about making the font more blocked to be similar to the wordmark, let me know if I should.

-I completely understand the complaints about a team based off of the Continental Army having a red jersey, which is one of the reasons why I didn't make it the primary. It is such a good look though, so I wanted to keep it at least for an alternate.

-Color Rush goes all navy.

And now the Saints come marching in!

Logos

CBPnrzv.png

-I simplified the amount of outlines on the fleur-de-lis to be more fitting to a modern identity. Although I like the uniqueness of all the outlines, this way it is just bolder and more striking.

-The gold is a newer, much more saturated shade; it's not intended to be as mustardy as the Color Rush (maybe it was just the lighting, but I really didn't like the way it looked in photos as opposed to marketing) but it's supposed to be much more gold than their current washed-out beige. The shade I'm going for essentially looks like this.

-The Saints wordmark makes its way onto the jerseys, I like the way it looks.

Uniforms

ed6VOEi.pngOxH8uH0.png1kAyQWM.pngXtW4v0s.png

-The Color Rush once again works as the template, as the stripes are prevalent in their history and work for a traditional team.

-I went with Clarendon as the number font, inspired by @bkknight95, since I think it flows well with the fleur-de-lis.

-Gold pants are the only ones worn with the primary home & away. I cannot overstate how much worse the black pants make their look in my opinion.

-I know the last gold alternate didn't go over well, but I think it has the opportunity to look a lot better with the more saturated shade and with Nike at the helm. This is the only time the black pants would be worn.

-Color Rush goes all-white, as that feels very saintly.

Comments and criticisms would be great, as always. Thanks everybody.

On 12/31/2017 at 12:26 PM, MJD7 said:

Hey everyone,

With the regular season coming to a close and the playoffs gearing to start, I figured now would be a good time to post a project that I've been working on the past couple of months: an NFL Tweaks Series. This series will operate in a similar fashion to my original MLB Tweaks, with me only changing the elements of each team's identity that I find necessary. Here are some rules I went by that I figure you all should know going in:

-This is an unpopular opinion, but I really do not like the use of gray facemasks on helmets, when that color cannot be found anywhere else in the identity. So you'll likely be seeing a lot of those go.

-I decided to keep the idea of Color Rush uniforms, since the NFL is still technically employing it as a program. However, I decided to add a personal rule: that being the socks must always match the color of the helmet. For some teams, that leaves them with their completely monochrome looks, for others, it makes the use of entirely one color a bit less gaudy.

-I'm also going to try to follow the one-helmet rule, as conceptually to maintain brand strength it's not a bad idea.

-As with the MLB, the overall goal was to modernize the looks of the NFL in a clean, classic way.

-Some big inspirations that I can think off throughout the making of this were Jesse Alkire's NFL series as well as @bkknight95's series, so a lot of credit goes to both of them.

-I'll be posting in alphabetical order, two teams at a time. Hopefully I'll be able to have all the teams posted before the Super Bowl.

So the first teams up are two that have been stuck in the early 2000's piping trend for quite a while now, the Cardinals and the Falcons.

First up being the Arizona Cardinals!

Logos

sPk8dFm.png

-The primary & helmet logo stays the same, the cardinal head is a great logo. 

-All of the copper elements have to do with Color Rush, as you'll see in the uniforms...

Uniforms

wgaxGBP.png

W0qucov.png

lv44Eoj.png

kE7qzPq.png

-Right off the bat, it's clear that the Arizona flag was a huge inspiration in the design, with the sunrise pattern occupying the sleeve caps and the pants stripe. It also sort of has the effect of feathers, while also mimicking the multiple stripes on some of the Cardinals' inaugural uniforms.

-I decided to go with sharper, more angular numbers in order to mimic the claws of a bird.

-Although the primary home and away sets are the combinations shown above, the Cardinals could also wear the red pants occasionally on the road, and vice versa.

-I'm not really big on the Cardinals having a black alternate, but I figured it looked "cool" with the added red & yellow. This alternate would only be used at most once a year.

-The Color Rush set embraces a color that only Arizona could own: a nice shade of copper, as seen on the flag. I know it might look a little out there, but for me at least it was better than black, and embraced the entire state.

Next up, here are the Atlanta Falcons!

Logos

UbR5WiD.png

-I decided to take silver out of the color scheme, and just focus on black and a bright scarlet red. The primary loses some cluttered outlines, and the helmet becomes red, as I'll explain more in the uniform section.

Uniforms

Ws5eRW7.png

smtjkCv.png

46qJeaf.png

2gKS51f.png

-I decided to go with the red helmet for the Falcons since it helps them stand out more in a division filled with black. I also think it goes better with both the red primary and black alternate jersey.

-I went with a number font based on the current wordmark font, much like many Falcons concepts do.

-For the striping pattern, I went with one that mimics the feather angles of the primary logo but also has some precedence in Atlanta's early history. This allows the uniform to be sharp & modern while still rooted in tradition.

-For the Color Rush, I went all-red but with black numbers in order to sort of dull down all the bright red present. The striping is also slightly recolored.

That's what I've got for the moment, I hope you guys are looking forward to this and I'd love to hear what you think.

Excellent work on the falcons, I’ve just found this concept thread and I’m already really enjoying your work. These uniforms are excellent

On 1/24/2018 at 8:17 PM, Sedpredictsports said:

Excellent work on the falcons, I’ve just found this concept thread and I’m already really enjoying your work. These uniforms are excellent

15 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Saints are terrific!

Thank you both very much!

15 hours ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

Patriots look good, just seems like too much white, maybe stripe the helmet?

Saints look great! Not sold on the font, but looks great.

Thank you! I might add a stripe to the Pats' helmet.

I should have the New York teams up later today, thank you guys for the comments.

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

There have been some great designs in this series so far. Keep it up!

Thank you, hopefully I can, let's see!

Here are the two New York teams, first up the Giants:

Logos

ltym112.png

-Pretty standard for the Giants, no need for changes logo-wise.

Uniforms

ZtKWzXN.pngqJR8l7k.pngtK9AeML.png2GPX2Iq.png

-As is typical with a lot of Giants concepts, the northwestern stripes make their way onto the home jersey, and the away jersey gets blue numbers for improved color balance. The northwestern stripe also goes on the pants.

-I kept silver/gray to differentiate from the Bills. I don't really think the white pants look bad by any means, but I just didn't think they fit the brand well.

-I added a red alternate, because why not.

-Color Rush stays the same white-out look, as it is one of the best in the league.

And now, the Jets:

Logos

ll4Nt6z.png

-I knew either the Eagles or the Jets needed to return to kelly green, and ultimately I chose the Jets. The old logo also makes a return.

Uniforms

yGWcoxT.png45y8jYb.pngtUdzW9e.png

-The uniforms don't change much design-wise, the biggest change is the font, which is very block-like similar to the Milwaukee Bucks. In typical Nike fashion, I added a little slope at the top-right of every number to reflect a plane taking off.

-The green on the helmets would be shiny and reflective much like the Color Rush helmet.

-The Color Rush is one of the bolder of the series, as I decided to try and go all-in on the lime green that the Jets use in their social media branding. To give it some contrast, I paired it with the dark green they use on social media for accents.

Let me know what you think!

Archived