Question about Asian leagues

smzimbabwe

Korea's K League uses Hangul text for names during League play but during National Football team matches and the AFC Champions League they use English. Also the KBO uses Korean too, so when Eric Thames played for the NC Dinos, the name on his back was 테임즈. Actually now that I think about it, ALL Korean leagues use Hangul for names other than international matches.

8 hours ago, KOREA said:

Korea's K League uses Hangul text for names during League play but during National Football team matches and the AFC Champions League they use English. Also the KBO uses Korean too, so when Eric Thames played for the NC Dinos, the name on his back was 테임즈. Actually now that I think about it, ALL Korean leagues use Hangul for names other than international matches.

When I was in the Samsung Lounge in Gangnam, they were selling some pretty high quality Lions jerseys and other merch and it was all in English.  I was actually looking for something specifically using Hangul for a Lions souvenir but couldn't find anything.  

Same with the Twins, and I didn't want anything that just said "Twins" on it since the colors and cap logo are so similar to the US team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When I was in the Samsung Lounge in Gangnam, they were selling some pretty high quality Lions jerseys and other merch and it was all in English.  I was actually looking for something specifically using Hangul for a Lions souvenir but couldn't find anything.  

Same with the Twins, and I didn't want anything that just said "Twins" on it since the colors and cap logo are so similar to the US team.

Oh that's interesting to hear since all the game jerseys all have Hangul on them, even on the Samsung Lions website shop they sell ones with Hangul.

LIONS-marking.jpg

18 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

*arabic numerals

Sorry about that, Arabic never came to mind when I was thinking of what to write, had a bit of a brain fart. Would like to see Italy come out with jerseys with Roman numerals some day (I, IX, LLV, etc.). I have a Teemu Selanne jersey from a tournament he played in Russia, and his name and what should have been "Suomi" or "Finland" is in Cyrillic script.

I can’t speak to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, but I know Hebrew’s numbering system is just the alphabet.

So the number one in Hebrew is just represented by aleph, which is also the first letter of the alphabet. In a situation like that? I can see why using Arabic numbers would be advantageous. A jersey with a last name in Hebrew over another Hebrew letter wouldn’t be as clear as a Hebrew name on the back over an Arabic number. 

1 hour ago, KOREA said:

Oh that's interesting to hear since all the game jerseys all have Hangul on them, even on the Samsung Lions website shop they sell ones with Hangul.

LIONS-marking.jpg

Are those the player names though?  I don't remember if the ones I saw had names or not.  Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, as I was distracted by all the other stuff in the store.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Are those the player names though?  I don't remember if the ones I saw had names or not.  Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, as I was distracted by all the other stuff in the store.

Yup those are player names. #47 Kang Min Ho (강민호) being one of the newest players for Samsung Lions.

8 hours ago, KOREA said:

Yup those are player names. #47 Kang Min Ho (강민호) being one of the newest players for Samsung Lions.

That reminds me - I don't have kids, but I am contractually obligated to name my first born boy "Chan Ho", since I made a drunken promise "if Chan Ho Park strikes this guy out (in the 2009 Phillies vs Yankees WS) I'll name my first born after him".

So if I ever get my act together and start reproducing, we could have a Chan Ho Vet in our future.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:19 PM, smzimbabwe said:

Why are the names, jerseys, numbers, etc. in Roman style letters and numbers and not in the native language? This has always bothered me about Japanese, Korean, Chinese, or fill in the blank leagues.

In terms of numerals, Chinese (whether in China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong) uses Arabic numbers in most standalone situations, just as English does. Chinese characters for numbers are usually only used in copy.

For domestic competitions, I'm sure the reason why Chinese teams don't always use Chinese characters for branding purposes as well as to mimic the aesthetics of leagues/teams they're trying to emulate--e.g., NBA, Premier League, etc. For international competitions, they use Latin letters both for branding and for broadcasters and fans in foreign countries to be able know who players are.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 1/1/2018 at 6:35 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I can’t speak to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, but I know Hebrew’s numbering system is just the alphabet.

So the number one in Hebrew is just represented by aleph, which is also the first letter of the alphabet. In a situation like that? I can see why using Arabic numbers would be advantageous. A jersey with a last name in Hebrew over another Hebrew letter wouldn’t be as clear as a Hebrew name on the back over an Arabic number. 

modern Hebrew just uses Arabic numbers for its numbering 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived