NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So... you're saying they aren't the same.

They also aren’t different either. I know we are splitting hairs but from the stands fans wouldn’t be able to tell them apart except for the TV numbers, and most are too ignorant to know they are a requirement.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Much better ?

Although I'll have to take issue with the "eschewing any design whatsoever" part (despite the excellent use of "eschewing")... I think the spiked stripes outside the collar as well as the cuff color that widens towards the back are both clever and subtle design elements that are getting overlooked.  Just because something isn't loud and graphic doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I just do not like either of those designs because you can miss it on most players & it really adds nothing of visual interest to the jersey or pants. If the pants had some stripes that were at least teal & black I think these would look less like they are to be worn to practice and more like the other examples people keep using Raiders, Saints, Giants, etc. Just my opinion of course! I am sorry for offending anyone with the use of practice but c'mon we talkin' about practice, man!

Yes, they are plain. Plain like a practice jersey because practice jerseys don't  have bells and whistles. A lot of people like these because they don't like bells and whistles. People like Coughlin. What do you know, it was his job to accept and reject the final design. If simple equals practice jersey, then that isn't the insult you think it is. So yes, they resemble practice jerseys. Well, lots of people think that looks really nice.

10 hours ago, Cal_Flames said:

I do not know if I have ever seen a practice jersey worn in a stadium with lots of fans present before.

Three words: Packers.  Family.  Night.

3d73b103-74f1-48f1-adf7-863c836eea69-lar

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 8/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, BJ Sands said:

I shouldn’t be surprised how much the board loves these. But I am.

And how anybody can say the current set looks like the original boggles my mind. The originals had color and character and were visually interesting. The current resembles practice jerseys, and when the Jags wear them they’ll look like a team that forgot its main set. They could be a college team from Nike’s minimalist phase, and nobody liked that. Yet so many people are swooning over this trash. 

Within two seasons the board will be sick of these. 

People, just because you hated the jazzed-up previous set doesn’t mean you have to love the booooring and undercooked current set. 

To be fair, my comment was directed at the teal/white color combination -- not the details of the uniform. You won't find a bigger fan of the Fred Taylor set than me, and I would still have preferred if they'd gone back to it.

The Jaguars weren't able to pull off the teal/white look with the previous set due in large part to the black numbers on the teal jersey. Not to mention the two-tone helmet completely taking away from the look. The set before that had the teal flake helmet, which never quite looked black (or teal) -- plus they had that atrocious piping slapped all over the uniforms that still makes me cringe. (I actually hated that set even more than the last set.) 

You could argue that they have over-corrected a bit on these after going to the extreme with their last uniforms, but I'm okay with it. Simple isn't always a bad thing, and as traditional as it looks, the clean lines are actually quite contemporary. We've seen where trying to be cutting-edge has taken their identity over the past decade. We've also seen what Nike has done to teams who were trying to push the envelope -- our previous set, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, etc.... and no thanks. I don't see people getting sick of these after 2 seasons. People tend to get sick of the trendy, over-designed sets that look dated shortly after unveiling. If anything, I see this as the kind of set that could grow on people given that they choose the right combinations to wear.

Again, it goes back to what I said was the misstep of sticking with the black primary. Being minimalist and clean is great, but not at the expense of your primary colors. Now was the time to switch back to teal as the primary set so that you wouldn't have this problem of needing to inject teal and gold into the look. My fear is that we'll consistently see black/white and black/black at home, with the white/black and white/white on the road. I'm still interested in seeing black/teal on the field, but I don't know how often they'll actually wear the teal pants. 

I had mocked this up prior to the unveiling as something I would have loved to see --

Z13Ex7P.png

These tweaks would make their uniform absolutely perfect in my eyes -- 

aIn5pfI.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

^^^^

Exactly what's needed. The Jaguars need some gold accents and a pants stripe. Still keeps it plain and simple, but gives them a fleshed out look.

Count me in with the current look being practice jerseys. The "details" are miniscule. The arm-cuff stripe gets lost in the pads, and the "collar spikes" are so minimal they might as well not be there. Then the logo patch is just tacked on (also, hey, look, it's on their practice jerseys). Then add the plain white pants, and completely ignoring the main color of the logo, and you have all the (or lack of) elements that add up to people scolding it as a practice jersey.

And stop with the "WHUT ABOWT DA RAIDERZ?!" This is different and you all know it. Don't be obtuse.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't get why they didn't just do that. These new ones have the same problem that these had 

gettyimages-122313561.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

The uniforms are missing the color that makes their color scheme. I get what they were going for, but it's okay to have some color. The colors, and even the uniforms to an extent, weren't the main gripe everyone had with their last look. The issue was the dumbest  looking helmet any team has ever made their players wear. I'd have been satisfied if all they had done was given the team a normal all-black helmet on top of the Bortles unis. 

The new uniforms are better than the old uniforms, but they're also not as good as they could be because they stopped short in the name of simplicity and short of what we all know to be the correct solution - wear the damn 1999 uniforms and call it a day forever. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

28 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

To be fair, my comment was directed at the teal/white color combination -- not the details of the uniform. You won't find a bigger fan of the Fred Taylor set than me, and I would still have preferred if they'd gone back to it.

The Jaguars weren't able to pull off the teal/white look with the previous set due in large part to the black numbers on the teal jersey. Not to mention the two-tone helmet completely taking away from the look. The set before that had the teal flake helmet, which never quite looked black (or teal) -- plus they had that atrocious piping slapped all over the uniforms that still makes me cringe. (I actually hated that set even more than the last set.) 

You could argue that they have over-corrected a bit on these after going to the extreme with their last uniforms, but I'm okay with it. Simple isn't always a bad thing, and as traditional as it looks, the clean lines are actually quite contemporary. We've seen where trying to be cutting-edge has taken their identity over the past decade. We've also seen what Nike has done to teams who were trying to push the envelope -- our previous set, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, etc.... and no thanks. I don't see people getting sick of these after 2 seasons. People tend to get sick of the trendy, over-designed sets that look dated shortly after unveiling. If anything, I see this as the kind of set that could grow on people given that they choose the right combinations to wear.

Again, it goes back to what I said was the misstep of sticking with the black primary. Being minimalist and clean is great, but not at the expense of your primary colors. Now was the time to switch back to teal as the primary set so that you wouldn't have this problem of needing to inject teal and gold into the look. My fear is that we'll consistently see black/white and black/black at home, with the white/black and white/white on the road. I'm still interested in seeing black/teal on the field, but I don't know how often they'll actually wear the teal pants. 

I had mocked this up prior to the unveiling as something I would have loved to see --

Z13Ex7P.png

aIn5pfI.png

That's a perfect football uniform. Modern flair with the numbers but nothing over the top. And all three colors play an important role in the set. Alas...

2 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Z13Ex7P.png

aIn5pfI.png

*yawn*

That just looks like the same ol' boring, clunky, typical design that we've been stuck with to the point we can't imagine uniforms without it. Same ol' blocky, pointless pants stripes. Same ol' cluttered number outlines. One outline, if any, is good enough. The new Jaguars uniform will change how we view football uniform designs. I do like the satin finish helmet in the first pic though.

People comparing the Raiders’classic look with an underdesigned Jaguars uniform farted out by Nike are, indeed, being purposefully obtuse. 

Come on people. 

5 minutes ago, daveindc said:

*yawn*

That just looks like the same ol' boring, clunky, typical design that we've been stuck with to the point we can't imagine uniforms without it. Same ol' blocky, pointless pants stripes. Same ol' cluttered number outlines. One outline, if any, is good enough. The new Jaguars uniform will change how we view football uniform designs. I do like the satin finish helmet in the first pic though.

This is either an amazing troll job or a terrible, terrible post. 

Basic components of a football uniform aren’t “clunky.” 

Design elements usually become “typical” because they work. 

2 hours ago, j'villejags said:

aIn5pfI.png

Now that is a football uniform. Even though I'm sort of on the "practice jersey" side of the argument (I can see the merit the other side's argument, though), but this would be absolute perfection.

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

And stop with the "WHUT ABOWT DA RAIDERZ?!" This is different and you all know it. Don't be obtuse.

29 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

People comparing the Raiders’classic look with an underdesigned Jaguars uniform farted out by Nike are, indeed, being purposefully obtuse. 

Can’t speak for others, but I’ll admit I was doing it on purpose. Of course there’s no comparison to a classic that’s been the same since the 60s. My main issue is it seems like people are being lazy and just saying they look like practice uniforms. You don’t like it? Fine, I don’t care. That’s your opinion, but if you’re gonna criticize, at least give reasons behind it. You want more gold? Pant stripes? That’s fair, and both legitimate critiques. I’d just like the whole “THEY’RE PRACTICE UNIFORMS” to go away, because when you get down to it, a ton of classics are pretty plain like practice uniforms. Nothing is wrong with the Raiders being simply black with silver numbers. Just, for the love of God, can people stop calling the Jags set practice uniforms and thinking that’s a real critique?

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK, if you don't like the new Jags look, that's fine.  Personally, if you flip the teal to primary and add a simple pants stripe, I might call it one of the best in the league. To each his/her own I guess.

But, PLEASE, can we put to bed the lazy and repetitive "practice jersey" comment?  Show at least a modicum of creativity in your critique.

If you ask me, calling it a practice jersey is the practice jersey of arguments.

Same thing with the pants, tbh. The argument typically sounds like "Uh, where's the pants stripes? Pants are supposed to have stripes!" Are they? When I look at the pics with the Jags and Saints together, I realize how clunky the Saints look with those blocky, pointless, tacky looking stripes. The Jags look clean in comparison.

18 minutes ago, jn8 said:

Can’t speak for others, but I’ll admit I was doing it on purpose. Of course there’s no comparison to a classic that’s been the same since the 60s. My main issue is it seems like people are being lazy and just saying they look like practice uniforms. You don’t like it? Fine, I don’t care. That’s your opinion, but if you’re gonna criticize, at least give reasons behind it. You want more gold? Pant stripes? That’s fair, and both legitimate critiques. I’d just like the whole “THEY’RE PRACTICE UNIFORMS” to go away, because when you get down to it, a ton of classics are pretty plain like practice uniforms. Nothing is wrong with the Raiders being simply black with silver numbers. Just, for the love of God, can people stop calling the Jags set practice uniforms and thinking that’s a real critique?

From my perspective, the phrase "practice uniforms" doesn't just refer to the simplicity of the uniforms. It's a relative term comparing the new uniforms to the old ones. Like how practice jerseys are stripped down versions of a team's primary jerseys, the new Jacksonville uniforms seem like simplified versions of the previous ones. In both cases, colors other than the primary are removed, numbers are without strokes, and stripes and patches are at a minimum. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Simple designs can be good, even great, but the context of the team matters. Jacksonville has a unique and modern color scheme, giving them potential for a striking look. These uniforms are a complete miss to me because they fall so far short of what could have been. I think j'villejags absolutely nailed the combination between traditional and modern, fully fleshing out every color and creating a distinct brand identity. 

Archived